• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit shows

The rings are fine, the buns dont mind them and as long as it is checked a turned everyday dsoent cause any problems. I suspect its just like a coller on a dog

that looks sore for the lil bun bun :(

i spose it is like a collar on a dog but dog colours are made from fabrics not metal... and metal can be sharp... and injure more if its caught up :shock:

Dog collars are also more flexible and can be removed easily if causing irritation. Seriously though, why stick metal rings on buns and show them because they are the 'perfect' breed/shape/colour. The buns get nothing out of it, it is all for human entertainment and in some cases borders on cruelty IMO.

Dog collars are also more flexible and can be removed easily if causing irritation. Seriously though, why stick metal rings on buns and show them because they are the 'perfect' breed/shape/colour. The buns get nothing out of it, it is all for human entertainment and in some cases borders on cruelty IMO.

Ditto, Its not benefitting (sp?) the rabbit in any way, why do it??

I went to Honley a few weeks ago. I'm not sure I would go again. Some of the rabbits looked fine and happy, others didn't. I was interested to see the rabbit jumping but I ended up getting upset at the way some people where handling the rabbits- particularly some of the teen ones. I always used to find this at horse shows as well though.. I think the organisers should have a duty to step in when there is mistreatment and it doesn't excactly set a good example to the spectators, which included lots of children. Also I think the ring could have been set up better- people where able to get far to close and where even sticking their fingers through the bars of the cages. It would have been much better if the animals had been at least a meter from the spectators to prevent this- they could have still had a good look from there. I also think its disgusting that you can't show a neutered rabbit, why should pet owners who wish to show but not breed be forced to choose between showing or responsible neutering -although there is no choice as far as I'm concerned. I could have have/ and was going to have Toby BRC rung but after considering all this and going to see for myself I have decided he will be happier bonded with treacle minus his bits!

(PS you can't show a pedigree if it isn't BRC rung- although you can enter it in a general 'best pet rabbit' class or rabbit jumping)

Rules will be in place for the next jumping competition to stop this, the only misshandling I saw was one family with their two rabbits who I am trying to contact

i enjoyed showing rabbits until kids came along then things went out the window. its your own personal choice.go along to afew local shows and see thigns for yourself.i had a rabbit that used to love going to shows.would sit on grooming table ready go:lol:

The rings are fine, the buns dont mind them and as long as it is checked a turned everyday dsoent cause any problems. I suspect its just like a coller on a dog

:no: I suspect it's very very different - I wasn't aware of this and it has made me think that it is most definately not for the 'rabbits benefit' is it? Lets be honest here, another case of animals being 'used' for their owners entertainment or pleasure.

Im from Gillingham in kent i wouldnt mind taking them to local pet shows... i took my guinepigs to one years ago and that seemed fine!

if any one knows of any near or around this area that would be great :)

:D

Im from Gillingham in kent i wouldnt mind taking them to local pet shows... i took my guinepigs to one years ago and that seemed fine!

if any one knows of any near or around this area that would be great :)

:D

The bunnies may mind though.:( None of mine enjoys travelling.
Before you decide, you may want to ask yourself how the bunnies will benefit from being shown.

Before you decide, you may want to ask yourself how the bunnies will benefit from being shown.

I don't think most of the folk who want to go to shows really care though do they? Waste of time trying to make them see what should already be obvious, shame really but, lets hope the bunnies adapt alright, not a lot of choice really have they :roll:

omg that actually sounds awful!!

i thought it would be a nice thing to do... i'll skip that idea then lol.

My lil girl has a play mate, another doe (lion head cross) they are very bonded and love running about the graden together now that the weather is warmer... normaly they are house buns.

but thank you for the advice :)

What made you suddenly think it would be a fun thing for the bunnies then?

Let's try to keep our replies based on facts and let people make their own minds up on the conclusions they draw.

I'm not sure 'what a rabbit benefits from' really makes much sense as an argument at all. Any pet animal has what's purely for it's benefit compromised by the fact it is kept as a pet in the first place.

Let's try to keep our replies based on facts and let people make their own minds up on the conclusions they draw.

I'm not sure 'what a rabbit benefits from' really makes much sense as an argument at all. Any pet animal has what's purely for it's benefit compromised by the fact it is kept as a pet in the first place.[/QUOTE]

:? I was genuinely interested in what had swayed her opinion from her original post, I don't think my rabbits are at a disadvantage being my pets either, they have a wonderful life in terms of what wildies endure daily and being domestic bred probably wouldn't last long in the wild which would be considered the 'optimum' life if I am interpreting your comment correctly, I don't really understand your point if I am honest.:?

Thats another thing I don't like about shows - the rings on buns. They put clips on the ears of guinea pigs. I think it is cruel just personally.
the rings are fine they are designed to not hurt the rabbit aslong as the rabbit looked after and the ring checked regular etc, it not cruel and does not hurt the rabbit unlike tattoos which they use in other countrys

some rabbits enjoy shows others dont its down to the rabbit really
at the end of the day you saying how does the bunny benifit from it is like how do dogs, horses, cats, cattle, sheep, goats etc benifit from going to shows
how do you know horses like to have people ride them ? how do you know if a dog really enjoys compeating in flyball, dog agility or dog dancing ?
as a owner you should know if your animal is enjoying it or not if its not dont take them again thats what i do saying that ive only had 1 rabbiit that didnt like it
ann x

the rings are fine they are designed to not hurt the rabbit aslong as the rabbit looked after and the ring checked regular etc, it not cruel and does not hurt the rabbit unlike tattoos which they use in other countrys

some rabbits enjoy shows others dont its down to the rabbit really
at the end of the day you saying how does the bunny benifit from it is like how do dogs, horses, cats, cattle, sheep, goats etc benifit from going to shows
how do you know horses like to have people ride them ? how do you know if a dog really enjoys compeating in flyball, dog agility or dog dancing ?
as a owner you should know if your animal is enjoying it or not if its not dont take them again thats what i do saying that ive only had 1 rabbiit that didnt like it
ann x

This is what i was gonna say... some animals like going shows as they are fine around other people and like the attention. i guess the only way you can find out if the bunny is ok with it is try it the once... see how they react, and thats how i changed my mind. i mean the BRC is abit more stricter then just normal pet shows... so that kinda changed my mind aswel, along with the fact that i do remember going to a small pet show years ago and it seemed way more laid back then other shows like the BRC....

I agree a domestic rabbit's ideal life isn't being wild, because humans have already intervened and put them at a disadvantage in the survival game. What's a disadvantage to a wild rabbit can be an advantage to a pet. Looks and behaviour that would get a wild rabbit killed would put a pet at an advantage. Though even there humans have screwed some things up totally.

another case of animals being 'used' for their owners entertainment or pleasure

Pets are by their nature for their owners entertainment and pleasure. I presume you like having your bunnies around? Most owners don't get a pet if they don't derive some pleasure from sharing their life with them. And I'm quite happy to admit finding my bunnies antics entertaining.

Marking everything that isn't strictly and solely for a rabbit's benefit as automatically wrong is where I disagree with you. My rabbit derives no benefit from me turning the light on at night so I can watch him - he can see in the dark. Does that make it wrong? It's for my benefit not his. How about if a friend visits and looks at my rabbits - the rabbits get no benefit from being shown off - does that make it wrong?

There are things that I dislike about shows and showing - but because humans enjoy it and bunnies don't derive any benefit, is not particularly high on my list.

Back