• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Shivering urgent help please

I am so glad he is home with you and improving, what a worrying stressful time you have had and because i have been keeping up with this thread i feel like i have been through the traumer with you.Good luck.
better go and check mine again now, you never know from one moment to the next with rabbitts.:roll:

Thanks Lousie :) and parsnipbun, unfortunately cannot do anything just yet re housing as we are renting and selling a different house to the one we are renting, and then buying a house when its sold... so hopefully wont be here too long. They have the hutch with run under combo thing at present, so have the hutch which is nice and high up on the run/away from the ground. Also they have wind/rain proof covers down all night, and although some are see through, it is still an extra barrier and I hope this would protect them yet further.
Yes did get the syringe very slow when swallowing thing..but it was my first time, surely bound to make a bit of a mistake :)...and ooh no! definitely no tipping!! Thinking back to the fox thing despite him shivering, he did choose to stay in the run as opposed to retreating up into his hutch...although part of me thinks they do this as to escape predators the natural instinct is to go to ground..as rabbits should...who knows may not have been that? I could ramble on because its what I do for a job really...animals and behaviour and wildlife....I sort of hope it wasnt that, hate to think of them being so scared although Star is much more jumpy usually and she was fine?

Sometimes there is no obviously reason for these things, Gus has had a couple of bouts of stasis with no apparent cause, they are indoor buns so not scared by anything/ no change if food etc.

It is so worrying when a bun won't eat :(

Another thing, keep trying to tempt him to eat, I always find grass or fresh herbs are the first things they will eat, I usually stick it right in front of their nose every hour or so until they eat :lol:

Hi Louise, yes he was eating grass earlier that I put it in front of him when he first came home about lunch time ish, and munching his hay in his pet carrier as we were leaving the second vets, but she still wanted me to syringe feed him and he eat some hay straight after that also when I put him back, so all good :D thank youx

Hi Louise, yes he was eating grass earlier that I put it in front of him when he first came home about lunch time ish, and munching his hay in his pet carrier as we were leaving the second vets, but she still wanted me to syringe feed him and he eat some hay straight after that also when I put him back, so all good :D thank youx

Oh I missed that post :oops: sounds like he is on the mend :love:

Hello, me again. It was extremely difficult to get the critical care into twitch this morning - not even sure he has the full dose but he was so stressed and would not swallow hardly at all. Is this just a sign that has been eating normally through the night and now hes better he is stronger to push me away? he absolutely hated it :( poor thing - hes been through loads these past couple of days, although reading some of the other threads, he is lucky to have only been ill that long - poor other buns and those of you who have it recurring, that is awful. Anyway any advice appreciated. Its just hard to know when to declare them well again, stop giving pain relief and critical care food? esp the first time around. He has had lots of poos in the night all funny shapes and sizes.

Hello, me again. It was extremely difficult to get the critical care into twitch this morning - not even sure he has the full dose but he was so stressed and would not swallow hardly at all. Is this just a sign that has been eating normally through the night and now hes better he is stronger to push me away? he absolutely hated it :( poor thing - hes been through loads these past couple of days, although reading some of the other threads, he is lucky to have only been ill that long - poor other buns and those of you who have it recurring, that is awful. Anyway any advice appreciated. Its just hard to know when to declare them well again, stop giving pain relief and critical care food? esp the first time around. He has had lots of poos in the night all funny shapes and sizes.

If he is eating for himself and is passing faeces I would hold off the syringe feeds now, especially as its stressing him out. I'd keep up with the meds as directed by the Vet and encourage Twitch to continue eating and drinking.

Some Dandelion leaves would be good to feed him if you can locate some (do wash them well first though). Try to minimise his stress today but allow him to exercise. Exercise will help promote good gut motility.

As long as he continues to eat and drink his poos should return to normal over the next 48 hours.

Well done for insuring Twitch received care from a competent Vet :)

Hello, thanks very much. The vet said give him the syringe feed despite him eating for himself so I was a bit confused, maybe she thought he hadnt enough. He is back in his hutch/run as of yesterday evening so can move around as much as he wants, so hopefully that has helped too then, as I said thankfully lots of poos, difficult to tell on the eating front just now as all 4 I have are at rest as they are at this time of day, so shall keep an eye, and go on the hunt for some dandelion leaves :) thanks, he did like the grass yesterday..so Ill find more of that too. Thanks for saying about the meds I honestly didnt know how long to treat for...perhaps when he looks like he is having normal poos again? or just a few days?..

Morning,
So glad to hear he's recovering well. Sounds like ur new vet was abit more knowledgeable than the previous ones (not a criticism of them, buns are very complicated things as we well know!)
What meds is he on? I agree with Jane that if hes eating and drinking well and syringing him the critical care is stressing him out,maybe dont bother. Some calm and relaxation will do him the world of good on his recovery.
Yay for ur little boy :D
xxx

Morning Gemma :) Yes, same as you have had I think (without going back over previous posts), meloxivet. Remember you said about your bunny bouncing back after another episode, how long do you give the meloxivet for once he was eating, drinking, pooing? I do just want to leave him today so much, he has just had a good old munch of the dandelion leaves and is now all splayed out looking content - at least he doesnt run off from me when I go near him, thought he might to be honest!

Glad bunny is on the mend and that you were able to get him to a rabbit savvy vet it really does make a difference.

With regard to the Critical Care I found that Maisy liked the taste and was happy to eat it from a little dish, I just made up a spoonful or two at regular intervals throughout the day popped it on a little tupperware type lid and she licked it off.

The foxes are a perpetual problem. Make sure the hutch is positioned where the fox can't circle it. I use those puppy pen panels to create an extra layer of protection around the hutch as I am sure foxes can "push in" most wire. I have one of mine within an aviary but made the mistake of having 1 x 1" wire - I was advised it was appropriate, and Fizz had a lucky escape when the fox made a lunge at him and grabbed his ear resulting, luckily, in just a small wound. I now use the puppy pen panels and shut Fizz away at night (as well as sleeping with one ear open and a swingball bat at the ready!)

Ooh thanks for that, I think he would eat it as it does smell sweet - great advice thanks. I also have puppy panel things so that I can put them on the grass in the summer out of their normal run and bit of a change of scenery and to get lots of grass. Thankfully only one instance of seeing a fox and he was nowhere near the bunnies, bunnies are next to the house, garden about 80ft in length, he was right at the back, and scarpered after I switched the light on, we are rural as opposed to urban, I think poss rural foxes are a bit more skittish, perhaps I should start to shut them away then, just worried they would hurt their feet, they stamp so much when I shut them off from it!! and they just spend 95% of their time in their run. Maybe if I have more evidence to think its foxes I shall do in future. I also saw it when it was snowing, so he may have been fairly deperate to look for extra food. The wire is nailed (not stapled?) in, the wire in it is very small mesh prob 1 x 1/2 inch, how awful for your little one though! ooh actually the plastic cover would also mean not able to grab an ear etc wouldnt it! and thank you, lots to think about.....have seen the neighbourhood cats lunge at the cage and they run around for a couople of seconds when this happens,:D but are fine in seconds once they realise they are safe, damn things.. why cant they be like my cats!!

Morning Gemma :) Yes, same as you have had I think (without going back over previous posts), meloxivet. Remember you said about your bunny bouncing back after another episode, how long do you give the meloxivet for once he was eating, drinking, pooing? I do just want to leave him today so much, he has just had a good old munch of the dandelion leaves and is now all splayed out looking content - at least he doesnt run off from me when I go near him, thought he might to be honest!

Hi Caroline,
It wasnt meloxivet I had it was called Metacloperamide (apparantly its a gut stimulant and stops them feeling sick) After his first bout I had to give him this 3 times a day for 3 days, even though by the first day he seemed to be eating, drinking and pooing as normal. When he had his little relapse about 2 weeks later, I gave it him for just a day, so 3 doses, and like I said within an hour of the first dose he was fab again.
Not sure if meloxivet is a similar thing though so maybe give ur wonderful vet a call and ask her how long he should be kept on it.
I noticed you said you moved house 6 weeks ago. A big change like this could well have been the instigator. Thats just speculation though, like has been said already on this thread, some unlucky buns just get it seemingly randomly :?
xxxxx

ooh right, great, knew it began with M!! I asked the vet about the move - she said she didnt think so, more to do with possibility of a fox/cat etc?? who knows, Im just glad hes much better :D shall call although I did keep asking yesterday when I was there and she seems to just say see how you go on...

:wave:Hi Caroline. I missed all the earlier posts re your poorly bunny, but am happy to see that you took him to Birchheath. These are my vets and they have pulled my buns through some quite dramatic incidents and I have total faith in them. If you are still unsure abut things just ring them up..they really are very helpful and the nurses are pretty up to speed re rabbit care. Hope you can make it to our meet-up in Tarvin on the17th.
Hilda

:oops::oops::oops: I keep getting the date wrong. I knew it was a Saturday, but thought it was this coming one. It all makes sense now:lol: I'll be there, even if I have to tie a knot in my neck to remind me!! :lol::lol::lol:

Hello! Sorry Id didnt realise these posts were here! I second 'mmmmm thai' :lol: Twitch couldnt be doing better, I went with instinct and kept a close eye on him and he seems to be doing very well. The vets were great I will definitely continue to use them fro the rabbits. I read another thread about a bunny dying from the gut stasis within a couple of days so feel very fortunate, he is back to jumping in his pellet bowl each morning before I can even put it down!! :D See you all Saturday!

Back