• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Insurance - Who are you with?

Should be all vets, as long as they are a properly qualified vet there should be no problem. The vet has to be happy to fill in the paperwork but then I cant see that being a problem as any decent practice will welcome pets being insured. Our vets charge for doing the paperwork, not all do, but something worth considering.

Thank you, I'll double check with them first as I want to enquire about getting them vaccinated aswell. As i noticed on the pp policy, they need to be vaccinated.

Do you have to pay a large sum upfront when you first insure your bunnies with any of these insurance companies? I want to insure my 3 and can afford up to £40 a month, but can't afford an upfront sum for registering with them if it is more than about £75 until pay day at the end of February, but I want to insure them as soon as possible.

Do you have to pay a large sum upfront when you first insure your bunnies with any of these insurance companies? I want to insure my 3 and can afford up to £40 a month, but can't afford an upfront sum for registering with them if it is more than about £75 until pay day at the end of February, but I want to insure them as soon as possible.

I think most do a monthly direct debit as that way most people just let it continue instead of re-assessing their decision when it's due for renewal!

I can only comment on Petplan and Pets at Home but Petplan have monthly direct debit that is divided equally by the twelve months. Pets at Home do the same but you have to sign a credit agreement - I won't do that - I refuse to do that for a service rather than a product (bad past experiences!) If you default on a payment they can charge you a fee (£20, I think) so I won't go down that route. If a normal DD bounces I don't think you can be charged. (Not that I ever default on payments but if someone cleared my bank account....) So, I'm with P@H for most of my bunnies as much cheaper but pay annually for their policies but monthly for the Petplan ones.

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll double check with them first as I want to enquire about getting them vaccinated aswell. As i noticed on the pp policy, they need to be vaccinated.

All policies will ask that they are vaccinated. If they aren't then if in the future they catch something that could be vaccinated against they won't be covered on the insurance. (If they catch something & they have been receiving their vaccines every year then it'll be covered)

I think most do a monthly direct debit as that way most people just let it continue instead of re-assessing their decision when it's due for renewal!

I can only comment on Petplan and Pets at Home but Petplan have monthly direct debit that is divided equally by the twelve months. Pets at Home do the same but you have to sign a credit agreement - I won't do that - I refuse to do that for a service rather than a product (bad past experiences!) If you default on a payment they can charge you a fee (£20, I think) so I won't go down that route. If a normal DD bounces I don't think you can be charged. (Not that I ever default on payments but if someone cleared my bank account....) So, I'm with P@H for most of my bunnies as much cheaper but pay annually for their policies but monthly for the Petplan ones.
Ahh ok thank you, that is really helpful :) Do you prefer P@H then just because they are cheaper?

Vaccinations and annual boosters are a must, anyway - much too risky not to, so I would go ahead asap if they are old enough.

We don't have any insurance. We have four rescue buns and the cost of insuring would have been around £50 per month + excess of £75 each time. We have had these buns for around 4 years and only in the last two years we have had 3 of them go in for treatment at various times. Usually £150 - £200 (they always go in out of hours) each time. When you do the sums though insuring is definitely more expensive. I think it depends on what you are like with savings (we are reluctant to ever pay interest or on credit and so we always have some savings). If you are not very good at saving then insurance would probably be a good idea.

We don't have any insurance. We have four rescue buns and the cost of insuring would have been around £50 per month + excess of £75 each time. We have had these buns for around 4 years and only in the last two years we have had 3 of them go in for treatment at various times. Usually £150 - £200 (they always go in out of hours) each time. When you do the sums though insuring is definitely more expensive. I think it depends on what you are like with savings (we are reluctant to ever pay interest or on credit and so we always have some savings). If you are not very good at saving then insurance would probably be a good idea.

In some cases, not all. I calculated a 12 month period (maybe about 6 months ago) and I spent about £2,000 on premiums and made claims worth £3,500... so insuring was definitely worth it for me. Every year that I've had insurance (approx. 6) I've come out better off with insurance.
My biggest bills have been:

Artie - Bladder surgery (cystotomy) £336; kidney stone removal £800; Kidney removal £600. Ongoing treatment for bladder sludge c £400 a year for 4 years.
Elijah, surgery for blockage c£800. Many episodes of stasis (obstructions) up to £1000 in 12 month period.
Gracie, surgery for blockage c£700
Binky, investigative surgery and supportive care for unknown ... turned out to be pancreatitis (he died of it). £700
Erin, Dental abscess initial treatment apx £400 plus ongoing cover for dentals as a result of the tooth extraction.

They are just a few examples.

Last edited:
In some cases, not all. I calculated a 12 month period (maybe about 6 months ago) and I spent about £2,000 on premiums and made claims worth £3,500... so insuring was definitely worth it for me. Every year that I've had insurance (approx. 6) I've come out better off with insurance.
My biggest bills have been:

Artie - Bladder surgery (cystotomy) £336; kidney stone removal £800; Kidney removal £600. Ongoing treatment for bladder sludge c £400 a year for 4 years.
Elijah, surgery for blockage c£800. Many episodes of stasis (obstructions) up to £1000 in 12 month period.
Gracie, surgery for blockage c£700
Binky, investigative surgery and supportive care for unknown ... turned out to be pancreatitis (he died of it).
Erin, Dental abscess initial treatment apx £400 plus ongoing cover for dentals as a result of the tooth extraction.

They are just a few examples.

Good point and for you it seems to be a better deal, I guess we have just been lucky but if we had of insured we would have lost £1000's by now. Luckily we have never had anything major and we are willing to take the risk. I think it depends on the individual.

Well, this thread inspired me to get rabbit insurance. I signed up last night with PetInsurance.com which is a Nationwide company. It's costing me about $35 USD per month (24.55 pounds as of today). I get a slight discount as I have three rabbits. They do not cover basic vet maintenance like physicals, etc. But they do cover everything else and I'm only responsible for a $50 (35.07 pound) deductible per incident, which isn't bad considering how expensive vet care is. I wished they encouraged spaying/neutering with a discount or incentive of some sort (it's considered regular care and is not covered). It would be a great way to spread awareness and potentially increase the amount of bunnies that are spayed/neutered.

Pet plan, I pay £32 per month (but they're rescue, we don't know their exact ages, their mixed breed, ones a lop and they're at least over 5!)

I pay £36 pm for 2 rabbits. To be honest, I didn't look at any other than petplan, our vet and RSPSA recommend them. Plus I had a search through here and their name came up alot. They only have the one plan for rabbits so that made it easier. I received a free months cover but guessing that's pretty standard. Although I am yet to claim (hoping will never have to!) so I can't comment on that subject.

Edit: downside, no discount for not paying it off in full - Or is this the norm?

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd like to know if the consultation fees are covered also.. I'm looking at going with Petplan.
Consults should be covered but the total bill will need to be over your excess or no point claiming.
They would pay consults if just part of a continuation claim and the excess is already paid for that clain year.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Tbh I don't insure. Have been a rabbit owner since 2009 and in my case I would have lost over £1000 if I'd insured. (Both rabbits have recurring health problems but with a reasonably priced vet and excesses as they are I'd never have got my money's worth out of insurance!)

Well, this thread inspired me to get rabbit insurance. I signed up last night with PetInsurance.com which is a Nationwide company. It's costing me about $35 USD per month (24.55 pounds as of today). I get a slight discount as I have three rabbits. They do not cover basic vet maintenance like physicals, etc. But they do cover everything else and I'm only responsible for a $50 (35.07 pound) deductible per incident, which isn't bad considering how expensive vet care is. I wished they encouraged spaying/neutering with a discount or incentive of some sort (it's considered regular care and is not covered). It would be a great way to spread awareness and potentially increase the amount of bunnies that are spayed/neutered.

I'd never heard of them before, I thought VPI was the only rabbit insurance in the US!

Does it differ like state to state or person to person, or do you think $35 per month for 3 rabbits would be the cost for everyone? Just interested for future reference :)

Back