• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Insurance - Who are you with?

Thank you everyone for all your responses. I think I'm going to go with Pet Plan, once pay day is here so I can pay in full & not have to worry.

I'm with petplan, so you mean £24 quote for both bunnies or just one? if both then that's £12 and not to bad, mine gone up as she has ow reached 5years old

£24 for both, works out at £11.58 each. :)

No one. My rabbits are not insured.

Thank you for your response...Can I ask why not? Also, there was no real need to reply as they aren't.. :)

Thank you everyone for all your responses. I think I'm going to go with Pet Plan, once pay day is here so I can pay in full & not have to worry.

£24 for both, works out at £11.58 each. :)

Thank you for your response...Can I ask why not? Also, there was no real need to reply as they aren't.. :)

well that's good for each

Another vote for Petplan here :)
Rabbitacid, you don't have to but as Gemma says, vet bills can get very expensive xx

This thread has reminded me, I need to insure my bunnies!! Will a company insure an ec bunny? I haven't had a definite diagnosis of ec, but Bertie has a cateract and his or we had ruptured twice (it has been fine since April last year), the vet said it is more likely than not ec, would anyone insure him?

This thread has reminded me, I need to insure my bunnies!! Will a company insure an ec bunny? I haven't had a definite diagnosis of ec, but Bertie has a cateract and his or we had ruptured twice (it has been fine since April last year), the vet said it is more likely than not ec, would anyone insure him?

He could be insured but no company would pay out for existing conditions so anything to do with EC etc would not be covered. Would still be useful in case of other injuries/illnesses which may occur though.

If he hasn't been diagnosed as E.C. then I don't see how an insurance company can exclude Bertie from being insured. They may well exclude any eye issues, but cover everything else (that he hasn't suffered in the past, that is).

It depends on what the Vet actually recorded on the clinical records. If he/she made it clear that it was an assumption and not a definitive diagnosis then the company might not exclude EC from the Policy. However, my experience is that most companies will do their uttermost to exclude a condition if they can. It is something you'd need to get clarified at the start, I always insist clarification is given in printed form not just via a telephone conversation, as if they wont cover EC and any related issues (eg eye/renal/neurological) then you could be paying a hefty premium with little chance of any benefit.

Can I just have something clarified please. What is actually covered by insurance? Are consultation fees, medication, X-rays all covered or not? Neither of our bunnies are insured but as one has just been diagnosed (well assumed) EC I think it's about time we did. Also we had to take one bunny to be de-matted, would that have been covered or not??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I just have something clarified please. What is actually covered by insurance? Are consultation fees, medication, X-rays all covered or not? Neither of our bunnies are insured but as one has just been diagnosed (well assumed) EC I think it's about time we did. Also we had to take one bunny to be de-matted, would that have been covered or not??

Usually there will be an excess on the Policy, so the client has to pay, for example, the first £50.00 of any claim submitted. So routine 'one off' consultations are unlikely to be covered. Things like neutering and vaccination are not covered either, nor is any grooming/clipping unless part of the management of a specific health problem and added on to a claim for overall treatment of said health problem. Dental problems may not always be covered either. The best thing to do is to obtain information from various Insurance Companies to see exactly what each one will cover. They all differ to some extent.

Where insurance becomes an essential (IMO) is for covering Emergency out-of-hours treatment for an acute illness. An out of hours consult can cost upwards of £100 before you even walk into the consulting room. Add to that any medication given and any hospitalisation that may be needed then an acute illness that comes on during your Vets out-of-hours time and you could be looking at a bill of over £300-£400.

Then there are things like diagnostics and surgery. Should a Rabbit need a CT scan, blood tests and then complicated surgery a bill of four figures would not be too much of a surprise.

To be honest I do think Insurance is an essential these days, unless the owner has access to substantial funds to cover all eventualities.

Petplan.
When Flo went into a random unexpected bout of stasis a few months ago she went for a consult and meds, fluids etc. Next day still wasn't eating so referred to a 24hr vet hospital for overnight care, she ate the next morning and came home. Then had a check up appointment two days later. Overall, for three appointments, the overnight stay and all medications and fluids it came to £450. As a student insurance was a lifesaver or else I wouldn't have been able to afford food!! I can't bare to imagine how much it would have cost if she didn't recover as quickly as she did.
As a vet nurse I have seen rabbit vet bills rocket way over £1000 particularly if they have a long bout of stasis, extensive surgery etc.

As to what is covered by insurance, you really have to ring the company (you could read the small print, but that's usually quite convoluted!). As discussed earlier on this thread, some insurances cover dental with provisos and others not at all.

If a vet 'assumed' the bunny had E.C. then that is not a diagnosis. A vet can assume all sorts of things, but until proven, it doesn't make them diagnoses. I should ring around companies and explain any symptoms the rabbit had that were treated (without referring to a diagnosis, if there was none) and see what they say :D

Usually there will be an excess on the Policy, so the client has to pay, for example, the first £50.00 of any claim submitted. So routine 'one off' consultations are unlikely to be covered. Things like neutering and vaccination are not covered either, nor is any grooming/clipping unless part of the management of a specific health problem and added on to a claim for overall treatment of said health problem. Dental problems may not always be covered either. The best thing to do is to obtain information from various Insurance Companies to see exactly what each one will cover. They all differ to some extent.

Where insurance becomes an essential (IMO) is for covering Emergency out-of-hours treatment for an acute illness. An out of hours consult can cost upwards of £100 before you even walk into the consulting room. Add to that any medication given and any hospitalisation that may be needed then an acute illness that comes on during your Vets out-of-hours time and you could be looking at a bill of over £300-£400.

Then there are things like diagnostics and surgery. Should a Rabbit need a CT scan, blood tests and then complicated surgery a bill of four figures would not be too much of a surprise.

To be honest I do think Insurance is an essential these days, unless the owner has access to substantial funds to cover all eventualities.

Jane, I agree with you.

Rabbitacid, my rabbits were perfectly healthy for the first 18 months of their lives and then Thumper came down with colic/stasis and has done regularly ever since. If she hadn't been insured, we may not still have her as the vet bills are so expensive.

So far in this insurance year we have claimed:

August 2015 £312.23
Sept 2015 £174.19
Dec 2015 £469.12

She also had 2 episodes last week - one on Monday, recovered, seemed fine, but went downhill again on Saturday so off we went again. Not sure how much they will cost but consultation fee is around £30 each time, plus a painkilling/gut stimulant jab each time. So added to the above is approximately £150?

So in total, in 4 months alone, Thumper would have cost us £1,105.
Can you afford that?

I can't.

That's why I strongly recommend you get your bunny/bunnies insured. It's only about £10-£15 per month per rabbit and look what we've claimed! As it's in one insurance year as well I've only had to pay out the excess of £50 once because it's a continuation illness.

She's only covered for £2,000 per year and there's 7 months to go. Fingers crossed there's no more overnight stays as it's those which are the expensive side of it, to be honest.

My friend's rabbit jumped out of its cage awkwardly and broke its back. An operation put it back together but they weren't insured and it cost them a small fortune.

I would never have a pet and not have it insured.

I even enquired about insuring the hamster :lol:

Jane, I agree with you.

Rabbitacid, my rabbits were perfectly healthy for the first 18 months of their lives and then Thumper came down with colic/stasis and has done regularly ever since. If she hadn't been insured, we may not still have her as the vet bills are so expensive.

August 2015 £312.23
Sept 2015 £174.19
Dec 2015 £469.12

She also had 2 episodes last week - one on Monday, recovered, seemed fine, but went downhill again on Saturday so off we went again. Not sure how much they will cost but consultation fee is around £30 each time, plus a painkilling/gut stimulant jab each time. So added to the above is approximately £150?

Can you afford that?

I can't.

That's why I strongly recommend you get your bunny/bunnies insured. It's only about £10-£15 per month per rabbit and look what we've claimed! As it's in one insurance year as well I've only had to pay out the excess of £50 once because it's a continuation illness.

She's only covered for £2,000 per year and there's 7 months to go. Fingers crossed there's no more overnight stays as it's those which are the expensive side of it, to be honest.

My friend's rabbit jumped out of its cage awkwardly and broke its back. An operation put it back together but they weren't insured and it cost them a small fortune.

..... and? Will they insure?

Quick question, does Pet Plan cover certain vets or is it any vets?
I'm looking to get it bought today and also including our cat to be on the safe side.

Jane, I agree with you.

August 2015 £312.23
Sept 2015 £174.19
Dec 2015 £469.12

Can you afford that?

I can't.

Did they insure your hamster, Angie?

Can anyone help with this question please?

Should be all vets, as long as they are a properly qualified vet there should be no problem. The vet has to be happy to fill in the paperwork but then I cant see that being a problem as any decent practice will welcome pets being insured. Our vets charge for doing the paperwork, not all do, but something worth considering.

Should be all vets, as long as they are a properly qualified vet there should be no problem. The vet has to be happy to fill in the paperwork but then I cant see that being a problem as any decent practice will welcome pets being insured. Our vets charge for doing the paperwork, not all do, but something worth considering.

I've never known a vet that charged - how much do you have to pay BunnyBuddy? (if you don't mind me asking :))

Back