• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit has broken his back leg

Hi Sophie

Glad to hear that your bunny is being treated – it sounds like you've had a very hectic time. Best wishes for a speedy bunny recovery.

Middy

Hi Sophie :wave: , I don't think anybody was blaming your family we were just concerned for the bunny. Glad he is going to be okay.:D

Vet Just Rang

Hi everyone - Quick Update

The Vet just rung, i'm about to go and find out what he said, so i'll update in a few mins

:wave:

The vet said...
He had to have a small part of the bone removed because it was damaged, he now has a splint on his leg, and we can pick him up tomorrow :D :D
He has to spend 4 weeks in his cage for it to heal, and it should be ok by then :D :D :D :D :D

:wave: Sophie x

I will do :)

We have to go out in the morning and get some more bedding and food from the pet store, then we will go and pick him up.

:wave: Sophie x x

I'm late to this one too.

I'm glad he will be on the mend. My Inky broke his toe (and dislocated the other, just to be different) a few months back. I was terribly worried but after he had it reset and spent 2 weeks confined to the playhouse he was fine. It has healed slightly wonky but it doesn't bother him in the slightest.

I found that plenty of deep bedding helped and keeping him warm.

Healing vibes for your bun!

Thanks for the advice :)

BUBBLES IS COMING HOME TODAY :D :D :D :D
The vet phoned about 10 mintutes ago and said that we will have to put him in a small cage, so he can't move much and it will heal. We have got to take him back every week for a new bandage, then hopefully by the end of the four weeks it would of healed :) :D :D

:wave: Sophie xx

Update

The vet said that it is broken and the bone inside is fractured, so they opened up his leg and he has inserted a piece or wire to hold it in place, and he has also put another bit of wire around the bit going up his leg to secure it. Although something could go wrong, if it bends the wrong direction then the wire will slip and the 2nd wire will tighten which would mean that he would have to have his leg amputated.
There is an open wound on his leg, which has be covered by a bandage and there is risk that it could get infected.
He is now back in his very small cage so he can heal. The vet gave us some metacam and antibiotics, which we can put in his food or try and get it in his mouth.
We have to take him back next wednesday at 10.45, so the vet can take another x-ray, check his leg and if its OK, put another bandage on it.

:wave: Sophie xx

Does he have a favourite leaf or something? I had to give Libby some anti-biotics last year and we put it on a peppermint leaf. It went down without touching the sides!:lol:

Back