• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Harness

No, but like rabbits some hate it, some don't mind. If I can see a rabbit dosen't like being in a harness, I don't put them in one again.

My point is that the two species are completely different and making comparisons in their behavioral traits is like comparing an ice cube with a blow torch

My point is that the two species are completely different and making comparisons in their behavioral traits is like comparing an ice cube with a blow torch

The only reason I compared was because sometimes the animals have to be on a lead, either that or no exercise.

I have used leads successfully in the past, but only on certain buns that I know would be happy wearing them. One of my bridge buns Tigger would jump on the chair and wait for his to be put on :love: But there are other buns that I wouldn't dream of using them on.

Be aware that they are harder to use than you think. The bunny will definately walk you and they will suddenly dash off and you have to run and then they suddenly stop and you go flying. Must admit I think they are more trouble than they are worth and it is always me that ends up with injuries trying to do what the bunny wants :)

Try this - When he's out in the run, stand near him. If he runs away from your feet, the harness may not be for him.

For some buns, its the harness round the neck they dont like. For others, it's the fact that your standing over them, but a lot of the time they get used to this and realise you're not a threat.

Yeah I'll try that thank you :)

Hiya.
One of my buns loves the harness and if I dangle it near him he will try to get it over his head himself. I think he knows that he can go more places in the garden if he wears it. I end up following him wherever he wants to go. The other bun hates it- I only tried it once with him and he wouldn't let me put it on. I just got a cheap one from he pet shop but I've seen the vest ones on ebay. I guess you won't know till you try.....

I have used leads successfully in the past, but only on certain buns that I know would be happy wearing them. One of my bridge buns Tigger would jump on the chair and wait for his to be put on :love: But there are other buns that I wouldn't dream of using them on.

Be aware that they are harder to use than you think. The bunny will definately walk you and they will suddenly dash off and you have to run and then they suddenly stop and you go flying. Must admit I think they are more trouble than they are worth and it is always me that ends up with injuries trying to do what the bunny wants :)

This happened to a little girl that was jumping with Harley at London. She asked if she could help, and I would of felt awfull if I'd of said no. He was going too fast for her then suddenly stopped :shock: It's important to know your buns behaviour and never keep the lead tight for more than a second or two

If you are supervising him anyway what's the harm in letting him just have free range time? He can't dig out if you are watching :wave:

I'm going to give it a go with my bunny, so let me know how it goes Milly :)
Mine is so friendly and tame now I think it's the right time :)

I agree - don't think it's logical to put a harness on a rabbit for it to relax and exercise.

Back