• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit bites?

Are we talking Fenugreek Crunchies? If so, I would recommend the wearing oven gloves or possibly the leather gauntlets worn by industrial welders :shock: And if you are trying to give a fenugreek crunchie to more than one rabbit at a time then consider deploying a riot shield!

This :thumb:

:lol::lol::lol:

I have got eight rabbits and havent been bitten by any of them.

I kept rabbits as a child/young adult and wasnt bitten by them either.

Big fat phew as it sounds very painful!

Mitsy bit me when I was trying to worm her. It wasn't a nip, she all out went for me. It didn't hurt as much as you'd think, but then I discovered it was because her teeth were so sharp she cut straight into the flesh and left a straight wound.

During the healing process, a great lump of skin fell off (ick!) and I ended up with a crater scar! Three months now and its healing, but very, very slowly :( :(

Apparently, my vets comment of "and rabbits really like the flavour" may have been over enthusiastic :/

I get nipped quite a lot by my four as I always seem to be in the way of where they want to go :roll:
Either that or 'affectionate' grooming nips and nibbles, but they never hurt.

Only had a proper bite once, off Priscilla. When she first arrived she was terrified of everyone and I had to check her mucky bum, she bit me on the knee and it bled for quite a while :shock:

My previous bunny Rosy bit me, but I was the silly one who, without thinking, put my hands in the run to separate a fight :roll::roll:

Alfie nips me every day, without warning, which means I often take refuge on the sofa instead of the floor :lol: they don't always hurt as a lot of them are through my clothes (i wear my dressing gown, a thick jumper or thick trousers when I'm in there!).

Having said that, last week he bit me on my back, just by my hips where there's not a lot of protection (my t-shirt had got pushed up as well) and hurt so much it brought tears to my eyes :oops: Didn't bleed but I had a very sore raised bump and then bruise for a while!

He's never drawn blood though, only Rosy! Dee never bit me either, she was so lovely and gentle :love::love:

Ooh, and Alfie bites my thumbs every day as I hand feed him the teeny Excel pellets...Sometimes he just gets my nails (I deliberately have my thumbnails long for this reason) but sometimes he is overeager and gets my thumbs. They're not bad though - a few naughty words and it's all forgotten...

Last edited:
Not personally but my first rabbit bit my husband, I thought he was exaggerating when he screamed :censored: the :censored: rabbit just bit me, I replied don't be silly she's never bitten anyone, then I saw his wrist was pouring with blood it was really deep and very close to the main artery. Fortunate she had missed it because death by rabbit would be very embarrassing xx

I have an inch long scar on my hand, a hole in my ankle and another inch long scar on the front of my ankle as a result of proper attack bites by my Millie. Talk about hurt! She wouldn't let go either so I had to wait until she did.

Still love her to bits though :D

Robert gets excited sometimes and would give me a 'nip' but it doesn't hurt and has never broken the skin. He just gets a bit enthusiastic or wants some attention. Once I was bitten by Cory at the vet though; he was trying to escape by burying under my arm and then he bit me on the bingo wing!! It really was quite a shock and did sting a bit!

I've never been bitten by any of my current bunnies :) I was nipped twice by my bridge bunny Benji though, it really hurt! Both times were my fault; the first time was before he was neutered, and I put my hand into his run to stroke him... Territorial male bunny + intruding mummeh = bite! :lol: He didn't really break the skin, but it bruised really badly. The second time we were in the living room and I sat down on the floor behind him, startled him, and he gave me a hard nip on the thigh. It was funny though, he saw it was me he had bitten and immediately started licking my leg, as if he was saying sorry :love:

I've been very gently nipped by Pete before, because I didn't get my fingers out of the way as I put his pellets I'm his bowl :lol:. I now hand feed him the longest one and pour the remainder in his bowl whilst he's preoccupied

I've seen him look like he could be up for biting me, when I was trying to get him into a carrier, he just had this look on his face that said he wasn't a happy bunny :)lol:) so I left him alone to calm down!!

My Max can be a nipper if you're in his way, but never does it hard, its more of a nose nudge followed by a little teeth action if you don't move!

He is massively food aggressive though, you really have to watch your hands when feeding him. He has bitten me twice quite badly, both times when I've been restocking their hay, he gets frantic, grunts, boxes and just blindly bites at everything :roll: He has bitten and scarred both of my bunny sitters aswell when they've been feeding him :oops: The rest of the time (ie. when there's no food around) he is an angel, always grumpy like but not a biter :lol:

I love the bones of him :love:

Its odd mine nudge me all the time.

I assume (probably wrongly) that if Milo or Finn hops over and give me a single nudge its a ''hello mam''

and if they nudge me once, then again then again its a ''move woman!''

I've never however been bitten to be told to move or hurry up with food or anything! I must be lucky! :love:

Spenser is a biter. He has a particular dislike to being handled, and will bite if held too long (ie. more than a few seconds). He also dislikes being brushed or combed, or having loose fur plucked out during his moult, and will bite if I persist in any of these unfortunately necessary activities. I have also been bitten by a friend's rabbit, but for different reasons - the said rabbit is, ahem, somewhat overfond of me. So I have had bunny love bites and sod-off-and-leave-me-alone bites in the 5 years I've known rabbits.

Given that rabbits are a prey species, I don't think it is surprising that some are inclined to taken extreme measures if they feel threatened. I would have thought that 4 years with me might have made a difference, but Spenser is if anything even more inclined to bite if I pick him up!

I've been nipped a few times, but I've only been bitten once and have the scar to prove it.

There is a massive difference between the two.

Back