• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Allergy Help Please

Hi :wave:

I know how difficult this can be - my hubby has allergy to both rabbit and horse hair - and I luv all three lol

Both my bunnies are house buns - it's expensive but I invested in IQ air filters which have really helped - also when bunnies are molting I make sure they are well groomed to keep hair spread to a minimum and during these times of particularly heavy molts they are kept within their own bunny homes rather than free ranging around the house - they still have fab space and it's a relatively short time until it's workable for them to have more access - got to add that they still have loads of stimulation during this time from their bunny mum lol.

I hope you manage to find a workable solution and outdoors would be an option as long as you could make a workable transition climate wise.

There are loads of options so hope this helps x

I'm hoping Bunnybuddy or someone who uses Crab Lane Vets could confirm this (or tell me I'm talking nonsense again :lol:) :

When you have your bunny admitted at my vet there is a question asking if it's ok to treat your bunny for mites (if necessary) - I seem to recall this was cos mites make allergies worse. Might be worth asking at your vet appointment? I know its clutching at straws :) Hope you get something sorted - he sounds to have a lovely life with you

Yes, there is / was a notice in the reception area about treating for mites - so some of the staff must be sensitive to them. It's definitely worth looking at. Treating for mites is relatively safe and easy, and you would probably notice a reduced allergic response quite quickly.

Hi :wave:

I know how difficult this can be - my hubby has allergy to both rabbit and horse hair - and I luv all three lol

Both my bunnies are house buns - it's expensive but I invested in IQ air filters which have really helped - also when bunnies are molting I make sure they are well groomed to keep hair spread to a minimum and during these times of particularly heavy molts they are kept within their own bunny homes rather than free ranging around the house - they still have fab space and it's a relatively short time until it's workable for them to have more access - got to add that they still have loads of stimulation during this time from their bunny mum lol.

I hope you manage to find a workable solution and outdoors would be an option as long as you could make a workable transition climate wise.

There are loads of options so hope this helps x
I've bought an air purifier that says it can control dander and fur down to 0.2 microns, and can do an area of over 60m squared so hopefully it will do the job.

I'm so happy to hear from someone else who is managing the same problems and making it work.

It really makes things better. Thank You x

Will ask for mite treatment even if no signs on Bun to be on the safe side x

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My mum is allergic to my rabbits, her symptoms sound exactly like your oh's. Unfortunately I don't have any solutions to offer, she just doesn't visit now, but it's interesting to read the replies. Hope you can find a solution.

My partner suffers from bad asthma and allergies - especially the rabbits! His allergy was deemed to be the saliva of the rabbits (from them
Grooming themselves)
We already have an air purifier and generally are super vigilant about hairs round the home. My daughter has breathing problems so the purifier was meant to be for her. He's on some super prescription drugs as well as nasal sprays and if her takes daily he's okay. Sometimes he does get so bad for a day or two they remain out of the lounge so he can get some breathing space.

Really sad today, my partner is getting worse by the day and woke up today struggling to breath, and his cough is so bad he can hardly speak.

We went out for a walk for about an hour to try to ease his breathing but no real improvement.

Dexter is in the kitchen now and will be there for the foreseeable future. I have to face facts and as attached as I am to Dexter, my partner needs to come first :cry:

Can anyone help me with re-homing him? I can't believe how attached I am after 6 days :shock:

Oh Dear I'm so sorry to hear this - it must be such a worry for you.

Is housing him outside an option? - could you get a good sized hutch accommodation or even better a shed and safe run which you could pop some insulation and heating into - its set to go a bit milder during the week so you may just be in time to try him outside with some careful planning - praps get him a friend so he has reduced interaction from you and your hubby but can still be a rabbit and enjoy life. To take the pressure off a little you could praps board him at a local rescue whilst you get something set up, rescue boarding generally goes down alittle in the winter months so you could maybe talk to them to see if they could help with a special rate if he needed to be kept there until spring until you can get a set up sorted and a rescue would be glad of the income and you could still visit to see how he was - I'm sure they would be happy to try and bond to find a friend also.

If this isn't an option you could post on here for a local reputable rescue to help - there are brilliant rescues out there - I volunteer for one of them:D - but not in your area - don't feel bad rescues do understand that this happens and they will work with you to find the best possible solution - these little critters worm their way into your hearts so you are bound to feel a huge tug at the thought of parting with him - but hopefully if you decide to go the rehoming route you can find a nice rescue who will work with you to find the best chance of a good home for him.

Hope this helps.

Oh Dear I'm so sorry to hear this - it must be such a worry for you.

Is housing him outside an option? - could you get a good sized hutch accommodation or even better a shed and safe run which you could pop some insulation and heating into - its set to go a bit milder during the week so you may just be in time to try him outside with some careful planning - praps get him a friend so he has reduced interaction from you and your hubby but can still be a rabbit and enjoy life. To take the pressure off a little you could praps board him at a local rescue whilst you get something set up, rescue boarding generally goes down alittle in the winter months so you could maybe talk to them to see if they could help with a special rate if he needed to be kept there until spring until you can get a set up sorted and a rescue would be glad of the income and you could still visit to see how he was - I'm sure they would be happy to try and bond to find a friend also.

If this isn't an option you could post on here for a local reputable rescue to help - there are brilliant rescues out there - I volunteer for one of them:D - but not in your area - don't feel bad rescues do understand that this happens and they will work with you to find the best possible solution - these little critters worm their way into your hearts so you are bound to feel a huge tug at the thought of parting with him - but hopefully if you decide to go the rehoming route you can find a nice rescue who will work with you to find the best chance of a good home for him.

Hope this helps.
We have a concrete strip for a yard. And no room for a shed so Dexter would ve exposed to all the elements.

I think I'm just being overly reactive, and a bit panicy when I saw how bad my partner was this morning, I had an 'Oh S*** this is bad' moment.

His breathing eased up a lot today after having Dexter in the kitchen all day. So we have let Dexter out for a while, he's been out for about 10 mins and the coughing is starting again. There is no doubt it is Dexter causing the problem.

The air purifier gets delivered tommorow (got to love Amazon) so I am praying that being a super one, and having it in the lounge where we spend most of our time will alleviate the problem.

Will let you know how things go. But I'm not very hopeful I have to say. [emoji20]

I did want to ask also. Do you find that hoovering makes things worse. I hoovered everything this morning and I think that the air blowing out caused the allergy particles to fly all over. I did wonder if hoovering at night made things better?

Its really difficult - I do hoover most days with a good quality Allergy cleaner - and I also have air filters in most rooms and even with that my hubby can have times when non stop sneezing starts but its not on a daily basis so we are able to manage it quite well.

I think you have to think carefully that if your hubby is having breathing difficulties then the best thing may be to look to a rescue to help - don't let it get to crisis point though - so although it feels painful at the thought of parting with your bunny it would be good to have a plan - do some research of good rescues in your area - or post something separately on here and folks will help point you to a good one in your area.

Its so hard but I think you have to think outside the box in what is best for both your hubby and your little rabbit - perhaps boarding your bunny if only for a interim measure would help both your hubby and you to have time to plan what is best in the longer term.

Try not to panic - there are always options:wave:

Update - There is hope [emoji2]

We now have an air purifier, it was running for about 2 hours and then we let Dexter in the room and although the cough is returning, it is nowhere near as bad as it was previously.

He is also booked in to have his manhood removed on Wednesday. I read so much on how having animals neutered really helped people and the Vets have agreed to do the op a bit sooner. So fingers crossed this will also help manage the problem.

Dexter is running round the lounge being a binky bum and playing with his new cardboard castle.

As a bonus my super OH took the air purifier apart and said. I could make one of these and make it better so guess what his next project is....

Talk about emotional rollercoaster, I don't remember it being like this before lol

That's great news and so glad of some encouraging news for you both and your bunny.

I do find sometimes that I still needed to be on kinda monitor duty to access how my hubby is so I kinda manage the flow of bunny free range time with us both so it minimises the chance of allergy flare ups - and I feel that although my bunny doesn't have completely free range access (ha ha only her own bedroom lol) but by having her own space which I keep as hair free as possible combined with the air filters and careful access it gives our bunny and my hubby lol quality of life lol - and I'm sure my bunny is happy and content and enjoys the added stimulation and has a better life than a lot of bunsters out there - things are never perfect but we do what we can:wave:

keep us posted how things go:wave:

I do find sometimes that I still needed to be on kinda monitor duty to access how my hubby is so I kinda manage the flow of bunny free range time with us both so it minimises the chance of allergy flare ups

Thats is the thing I didn't do. I was so happy that he was hoping around and the OH was coping we only realised he'd been out too long when it was too late.

But still positive, left the air purifier running so will hopefully be even better tommorow x
That's great news and so glad of some encouraging news for you both and your bunny.

I do find sometimes that I still needed to be on kinda monitor duty to access how my hubby is so I kinda manage the flow of bunny free range time with us both so it minimises the chance of allergy flare ups - and I feel that although my bunny doesn't have completely free range access (ha ha only her own bedroom lol) but by having her own space which I keep as hair free as possible combined with the air filters and careful access it gives our bunny and my hubby lol quality of life lol - and I'm sure my bunny is happy and content and enjoys the added stimulation and has a better life than a lot of bunsters out there - things are never perfect but we do what we can:wave:

keep us posted how things go:wave:

Dexter went to the Vets this morning and just had a call his bits are gone and he's recovering well. He's also on a drip to get fluids in quicker.

Be really interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Going to super clean the house tonight when I get home and see how things go.

I am glad Dexter is doing well. Did the vet say how long it may take after his surgery before his hormones settle down?

Back