• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Put bunny down?

Has Patrick always been comfortable with handling? My bun (Mouse) was my most hands off rabbit when she was mobile & healthy, now she needs lots of help with cleaning, grooming, foot & bum baths she is very relaxed being handled. I think they know when they need us to help.

That is good that although your vet respects your viewpoint even though its different to theirs & appreciates you are giving Patrick a happy retirement & meeting all his needs :love:
Absolutely. I was so impressed with my vet. She really listened, and really understood . She was both professional and empathic. It's such a lovely feeling, after illness hanging over him from before Christmas, that we can relax knowing the vet is 100% supportive. My anxieties were influenced by an experience with a different vet ( at a different practice, more local to me during lockdown) over a year ago, who misread the situation and threatened to put him down there & then. It was awful - I'd only taken him there for his usual eye drops! I told my current vet about that experience and it helped her to understand why I'd been so concerned this might happen again. So Patrick is here with us for the time being, at least, and he's contented & loved. That's the main thing. Thank you for your kind comments. [emoji4]

Sent from my LM-X120 using Tapatalk

Has Patrick always been comfortable with handling? My bun (Mouse) was my most hands off rabbit when she was mobile & healthy, now she needs lots of help with cleaning, grooming, foot & bum baths she is very relaxed being handled. I think they know when they need us to help.
Yes, agree. Patrick used to be happy with a quick cuddle every day, but not till he became older, I'd say about 9, was he happy with extended cuddling. Now he's also disabled he's up for anything - bum wash, foot wash, lying on my lap for hours at a time! Sounds similar to Mouse?

I know one bunny that was dissabled, back legs did not work, due to malnutrition from birth (rescued bun). Lived with vet tech. No pain whatsoever, happy chappy. But one days condition got worse, pain was evident and then she decided to put her to forever sleep. I personaly would not keep dissabled bun, just because I do not feel competet enought to take propper care, I would fell sorry for the bun. But that is me.

Yes, agree. Patrick used to be happy with a quick cuddle every day, but not till he became older, I'd say about 9, was he happy with extended cuddling. Now he's also disabled he's up for anything - bum wash, foot wash, lying on my lap for hours at a time! Sounds similar to Mouse?

sure does :love:

Hi, just to let you know my lovely Patrick died in his sleep last night. He looked peaceful this morning. He was about 11 and a half and am so grateful for the long time we had with him. He was such a trooper. Thank you all for making our final weeks with him less anxious and more enjoyable. I video'd him just before bed - he was happy being cuddled, purring with contentment. He knew he was adored! But hey - doesn't the house feel so empty without our special friends? Will miss him very dearly. Take care everyone [emoji3590]

Hi, just to let you know my lovely Patrick died in his sleep last night. He looked peaceful this morning. He was about 11 and a half and am so grateful for the long time we had with him. He was such a trooper. Thank you all for making our final weeks with him less anxious and more enjoyable. I video'd him just before bed - he was happy being cuddled, purring with contentment. He knew he was adored! But hey - doesn't the house feel so empty without our special friends? Will miss him very dearly. Take care everyone [emoji3590]

Oh bless him. Of course I am so very sorry for your loss, but when my time comes I hope my passing will be as peaceful as Patrick’s was. I truly believe that there can be a ‘good’ death, and what better can there be than to slip away at home whilst sleeping having had a lifetime of love and care.

Patrick’ s physical presence has gone, but his spirit, for the want of a better word, will remain with you forever. I know this to be a fact.

Rest peacefully Patrick, farewell for now :love:

Oh bless him. Of course I am so very sorry for your loss, but when my time comes I hope my passing will be as peaceful as Patrick’s was. I truly believe that there can be a ‘good’ death, and what better can there be than to slip away at home whilst sleeping having had a lifetime of love and care.

Patrick’ s physical presence has gone, but his spirit, for the want of a better word, will remain with you forever. I know this to be a fact.

Rest peacefully Patrick, farewell for now :love:
Thank you. I am so touched by this message. It is such a comfort to think his passing was peaceful - (I was asleep when he went but he certainly looked peaceful). He made a huge impression in his long life and yes I believe his spirit will always be present with me. Thanks for your kind words. RIP Patrick [emoji3590]

I know one bunny that was dissabled, back legs did not work, due to malnutrition from birth (rescued bun). Lived with vet tech. No pain whatsoever, happy chappy. But one days condition got worse, pain was evident and then she decided to put her to forever sleep. I personaly would not keep dissabled bun, just because I do not feel competet enought to take propper care, I would fell sorry for the bun. But that is me.
I've only just seen your comment, & I thank you for it. Absolutely - something my vet and I discussed last week was how , had my circumstances been any different, it would have been unkind to keep Patrick alive. Fortunately for me it just so happened I have been working from home & able to devote plentiful time to his daily care. It was wonderful that I could be around Patrick caring and checking on him all the time. I'm so grateful for that opportunity [emoji3590]

So sorry that you have lost Patrick, but pleased that you were with him in his final days. He went knowing he was safe and loved, I hope that brings you some comfort x sweet dreams Patrick xx

I’m so sorry you lost Patrick, I hope the fact that his passing was peaceful and that he had a long and happy life will be a comfort to you as you remember him :love: RIP Patrick xx Thinking of you xx

I'm glad he had a peaceful passing at home where he was loved and cared for.
RIP Patrick, and hugs to you.

So sorry that you have lost Patrick, but pleased that you were with him in his final days. He went knowing he was safe and loved, I hope that brings you some comfort x sweet dreams Patrick xx
Yes, Pat knowing he was safe & loved does indeed bring so much comfort. Thank you for your lovely message [emoji3590]

I’m so sorry you lost Patrick, I hope the fact that his passing was peaceful and that he had a long and happy life will be a comfort to you as you remember him :love: RIP Patrick xx Thinking of you xx
Thank you so much Zoobec. Knowing that he made it through to a grand old age and was so happy & loved will be what keeps us going - take care [emoji3590]

I'm glad he had a peaceful passing at home where he was loved and cared for.
RIP Patrick, and hugs to you.
Thank you Shimmer, really appreciate your message. His passing could not have been better, really. Hugs to you, too - take care [emoji3590]

awww, I'm really sorry for your loss but good Patrick went peacefully at home. Sweet dreams Patrick

Back