• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pregnancy babies! u/d Baby update, day 10 help!!

I don't know the Rescue you got this rabbit from.... but mistakes can happen sometimes. I recently took in a group of 5 females. Not vaccinated, but the previous owner assured me they were all spayed. I vaccinated them, and rehomed one of them to a home with a newly-castrated male. I told the new owner that we were assured their new rabbit was spayed, but that we hadn't done this operation. He was still fertile after his op, but because we thought she was spayed we didnt worry too much about him mating her.
She had a litter of 5. I felt devestated. The new owner was wonderful, and didnt blame me.... All the babies have new homes, and we paid for her doe to be spayed when she had reared her bunnies. The other 4 from this same ex-owner were spayed shortly afterwards too. Why do people lie about these things?? I have since written it into the contract that if a previous owner says the rabbit is spayed, we do not offer this as a guarantee.

Are you new to rescuing? It's just that people will say anything to get you to take animals. I would recommend that in future you double check...and definitely be cautious about putting a doe with an unknown history with a recently castrated buck.

Don't beat yourself up about it, we all live and learn...the important thing is not to make the same mistake again. :wave:

I had this EXACT same thing happen to me although i was saying 6 weeks ago i dont want the babies etc....
they grow on you :lol:
just think to yourself theyre here now and i have to do what i can for them.
fingers crossed it works out as good for you as it has for me :)

I don't know the Rescue you got this rabbit from.... but mistakes can happen sometimes. I recently took in a group of 5 females. Not vaccinated, but the previous owner assured me they were all spayed. I vaccinated them, and rehomed one of them to a home with a newly-castrated male. I told the new owner that we were assured their new rabbit was spayed, but that we hadn't done this operation. He was still fertile after his op, but because we thought she was spayed we didnt worry too much about him mating her.
She had a litter of 5. I felt devestated. The new owner was wonderful, and didnt blame me.... All the babies have new homes, and we paid for her doe to be spayed when she had reared her bunnies. The other 4 from this same ex-owner were spayed shortly afterwards too. Why do people lie about these things?? I have since written it into the contract that if a previous owner says the rabbit is spayed, we do not offer this as a guarantee.

Rescue said the vets assured her there were visible neuter scar marks, as he has been in horrendous conditions and needed to be shaved to get rid of all the matts. Last night my vet tipped him up and out they popped. Just dropped him off for a neuter :( not a happy bunny.

Just to say sorry you have had this problem with a "rescue" Louise
I hope they are sending you the money for the op

Bucks can withdraw their testicles so you don't always see them unless you wait a few minutes for the rabbit to relax
But shame on the place for not checking

Re the unspeyed does Farplace
Never take anyone's word for the rabbits vacs or neuter status
We , if told they are neutered or vacs, always ask for vacs cert..and the name of vet who did the op..then we ring vet and check..most times the animals haven't been done:(

Just to say sorry you have had this problem with a "rescue" Louise
I hope they are sending you the money for the op

Bucks can withdraw their testicles so you don't always see them unless you wait a few minutes for the rabbit to relax
But shame on the place for not checking

Re the unspeyed does Farplace
Never take anyone's word for the rabbits vacs or neuter status
We , if told they are neutered or vacs, always ask for vacs cert..and the name of vet who did the op..then we ring vet and check..most times the animals haven't been done:(

Nope! no financial help, rescue closed its doors a few days after I brought this up with them, so my purse is rather light at the minute :( On the plus side Arthur has recovered from his op.

Back