• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potential New Rabbit

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
Hey folks :wave: Just wanted to get everybodys opinions really...

At current I have a single male rabbit. He's a mini lop mix, 16 weeks old and un-neutered. He's had his Myxo jab so far and is having his second jab (VHD) done on Friday. He's currently living in a 2 level hutch which is 4 foot long and 1.5 foot deep. His run in now 6x4foot and I will soon be adding a removable level to it.

After speaking to Sandra at the Milton Keynes RSPCA, I've found a lovely single netherland dwarf female rabbit, an albino. she's called Lily, is young like my rabbit Thumper and is currently un-spayed. She's having her spay done tomorrow and will be kept a close eye one for a week after.

Sandra has assured me my living quarters are fine for both the rabbits, shes agreed to let my rabbit meet Lily after her spay, and if all goes well I can bring her home. I questioned about Thumper currently being un-neutered. she said that aslong as Lily is spayed and they get on, she is sure they'll be fine aslong as I get Thumper neutered a couple of weeks after having Lily at most.

I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks to this, obviously I'm happy about the positivety in it, but some one elses oppinion is also good to bare in mind :)

My opinion is that its not wise to bond an unneutered boy with any bunny because they can drive their bonded friend cazy which can cause fights. After neutering then that all sounds very positive, but I would be hesitant to do anything until he is neutered.

Has he got his little boy bits yet?

My opinion is that its not wise to bond an unneutered boy with any bunny because they can drive their bonded friend cazy which can cause fights. After neutering then that all sounds very positive, but I would be hesitant to do anything until he is neutered.

Has he got his little boy bits yet?

the vet said he hasn't yet but that was a week and a half ago. He isn't "making love" to anything or taking any interest in anything like that either.

I would have to agree. In regards to the size of accommodation, I believe the size of the accommodation is adequate. However, you mention Thumper is a crossbred rabbit - do you know what breeds he carries? Also, you mention that they are both young rabbits. Therefore, due to the energy requirements, they may benefit from a larger enclosure in the foreseeable future.

the vet said he hasn't yet but that was a week and a half ago. He isn't "making love" to anything or taking any interest in anything like that either.

Hormones, when they arrive, can bring in a personality change in a bunny. It may only take one dawn humpfest for him to wind a lady up so she fights him, or worse, bites off his thingy if he goes the wrong way round and she doesn't like it. They may be descended now. Some bunnies do not show hormones, or are neutered before their hormones take hold, or, if he is a bigger breed, he will develop later.

Ultimately, it would be your choice, but its not something I personally would ever risk with my bunnies.

I would have to agree. In regards to the size of accommodation, I believe the size of the accommodation is adequate. However, you mention Thumper is a crossbred rabbit - do you know what breeds he carries? Also, you mention that they are both young rabbits. Therefore, due to the energy requirements, they may benefit from a larger enclosure in the foreseeable future.

The larger hutch and enclosure is already on task :) I'm already starting to plan it all out. Hutch wise I want a 2 level, 6 foot long, 2 foot deep hutch, already seen one on eBay for £170 ;) YOINK!

I say mini lop mix because they weren't 100% sure at the shop, PAH said their suppliers usually cross breed them, though he looks mini lop to me, I'm not expert though.

Hormones, when they arrive, can bring in a personality change in a bunny. It may only take one dawn humpfest for him to wind a lady up so she fights him, or worse, bites off his thingy if he goes the wrong way round and she doesn't like it. They may be descended now. Some bunnies do not show hormones, or are neutered before their hormones take hold, or, if he is a bigger breed, he will develop later.

Ultimately, it would be your choice, but its not something I personally would ever risk with my bunnies.

Well he is going for his jabs on friday so I'll ask her to look again then. I'm looking to have him neutered in less than a weeks time, hopefully by the time I may have Lily. I am aware though that their hormone levels can take several weeks to calm down. :/

I have bonded a number of rabbits over the years and I would avoid bonding an unneutered male with a recently neutered female. I would suggest getting your male neutered and then wait at least 2 weeks before bonding them together.

I would suggest waiting for at least 2 weeks after your last vaccination before getting your boy neutered. This helps to ensure that his immune system does not take too much a battering at one time which leaves your rabbit open to infections.

Well, that's the size of the accommodation sorted - even if Thumper does become a larger rabbit than first thought! :lol:

In regards to adopting 'Lily', naturally, you have three options:

A) Adopt Lily, and attempt to bond her and Thumper

B) Adopt Lily, have Thumper neutered, and then attempt to bond Lily and Thumper

C) Do not adopt Lily, have Thumper neutered, and then begin to search for a companion for Thumper

Personally, I would opt for option C. I believe option A and B will simply provide unnecessary stress to Lily, Thumper and yourself. Furthermore, Netherland Dwarfs are commonplace in rescue, particularly REWs. Again, I agree with the advice provided in previous posts.

I'll bare all your advise in mind. My partner and I have agreed to visit her first, make sure we like her. Then if that goes well we'll bring thumper to see her, if they seem okay we'll make mulipul visits from then on, make sure the "good behavour" lasts. If it doesn't go well from day one, we'll wait and find him a nother potential partner down the line after his snip.

I'm very anxious about it all because so many people are advising me to get Thumper a partner asap and others saying wait until hes neuterd; on equal lengths

I don't no what to dooooooo:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

In reference to Sky-O's above statement, 'Ultimately, it is your choice'.

However, please ensure that ‘your choice’ is your choice, you are comfortable with your choice, and your choice is right for Thumper, your partner and yourself. Above all, do not feel pressured into making a premature choice, which you may later regret somewhat.

Please let us know what you decide. :D

I would def get Thumper neutered first, wait a few weeks then bond.. I wouldnt introduce him to her until he is neutered... I personally would not risk bonding an un-neutered rabbit :shock:

Could you adopt lily, house them side by side so they can recover from their spays/neyter and they can get used to each other by living next to each other and then bond in a neutral area - this is what I did and the bond was very easy!!
(I understand this could be harder if they live outside?)

I would def get Thumper neutered first, wait a few weeks then bond.. I wouldnt introduce him to her until he is neutered... I personally would not risk bonding an un-neutered rabbit :shock:

Could you adopt lily, house them side by side so they can recover from their spays/neyter and they can get used to each other by living next to each other and then bond in a neutral area - this is what I did and the bond was very easy!!
(I understand this could be harder if they live outside?)

they do live outside and I don't have the space to do so :/ so good thinking and decision making is involved with this scenario me thinks!

I'm very anxious about it all because so many people are advising me to get Thumper a partner asap and others saying wait until hes neuterd; on equal lengths

All of us who have or have had a pair of rabbits will suggest getting a partner for yours, however thumper is 16 weeks old so if of age to to neutered. Like most things in life you have to get a good balance and to me that woudl be enuring that the health and well being of your rabbits are at the forefront of what you do.

Your choices are
  • Get the female now and bond with an unneutered Thumper - this could result in an over keen Thumper who ends up getting injured by the neutered female when she gets fed up with the advances of an unneutered male. Potential to get female injured if she has only just been neutered.
  • Wait a few weeks having got your boy neutered and fully vaccinated and wait a further 2 weeks following the last vet visit. I am assuming that the female is already fully vaccinated and then bond them which will have a lower risk of injury

Or get the female and buy another hutch to put them into until your boy is ready. this is an expensive and unnecessary option.

A good rescue will hold on to the rabbit you are looking at if there is a genuine reason and you put a deposit down on them, many will also bond for you which also means you dont end up with 2 single rabbits if the bond does not work out. This is particuarly useful if you are unfamiliar with bonding

All of us who have or have had a pair of rabbits will suggest getting a partner for yours, however thumper is 16 weeks old so if of age to to neutered. Like most things in life you have to get a good balance and to me that woudl be enuring that the health and well being of your rabbits are at the forefront of what you do.

Your choices are
  • Get the female now and bond with an unneutered Thumper - this could result in an over keen Thumper who ends up getting injured by the neutered female when she gets fed up with the advances of an unneutered male. Potential to get female injured if she has only just been neutered.
  • Wait a few weeks having got your boy neutered and fully vaccinated and wait a further 2 weeks following the last vet visit. I am assuming that the female is already fully vaccinated and then bond them which will have a lower risk of injury

Or get the female and buy another hutch to put them into until your boy is ready. this is an expensive and unnecessary option.

A good rescue will hold on to the rabbit you are looking at if there is a genuine reason and you put a deposit down on them, many will also bond for you which also means you dont end up with 2 single rabbits if the bond does not work out. This is particuarly useful if you are unfamiliar with bonding

I may ask Sandra who's incharge of her at the moment about what you last said. I'm sure she can hold on to her for us, seems most logical if it is possible. If not, then I think you guys are right, wait until he is neutered.

Due to being a REW, if you do decide not to adopt Lily at present, you may find she is still available when you begin your search for a companion for Thumper. However, naturally, Lily has to be considered, and if there is a chance of a new home, it would be cruel to deny her a second chance.

I hope that makes sense?

I'll bare all your advise in mind. My partner and I have agreed to visit her first, make sure we like her. Then if that goes well we'll bring thumper to see her, if they seem okay we'll make mulipul visits from then on, make sure the "good behavour" lasts. If it doesn't go well from day one, we'll wait and find him a nother potential partner down the line after his snip.

I don't no what to dooooooo:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Hi

Not sure quite what you mean by bringing Thumper to see her, but if you mean just for a quick visit at the rescue then I wouldn't recommend this. You will certainly not get a true picture of whether they will be friends if you just put him in for a speed date at the rescue. The behaviour you see there will not reflect the behaviour you will see when the bunnies are actually being bonded properly.

I would wholeheartedly recommend getting him neutered before he goes anywhere near a female - apart from him wanting to mount a new friend, the female will almost certainly smell his hormones and go for him too, especially if she is recently spayed.

If you get your heart set on this particular female, then get your boy done asap and ask if the rescue will hold on to her for you. If they don't, then you'll have to face up to either housing them seperately and taking her own before you know if it'll ever work (very risky strategy) or take the chance on waiting.

I believe that if it's meant to be, it will happen for you.

In any event, before you bond him with this lady or any other, you need to get him neutered so it's going to be your next job.

Good luck.

Helen

Excluding Lily all together. So she has no influence on what i am about to say next.

My rabbit Thumper has had his Myxo jab almost 2 weeks ago, he is due for his VHD jab this friday, do you think it is worth me post poning his VHD jab and getting him neutered first, wait a few weeks then have his VHD jab, or do you think his VHD jab is a lot more important?

Appologies if anyonetakes what I just said the wrong way. I just want to do what best by Thumper. I am only new to keeping rabbits and have only kept them for about 4 weeks now so I'm still learning. But obviously I need to do the right thing and if that means not getting a rabbit friend yet, or waiting, prioratising things, then so be it. If I do this I might as well do it correctly.

In reference to Sky-O's above statement, 'Ultimately, it is your choice'.

However, please ensure that ‘your choice’ is your choice, you are comfortable with your choice, and your choice is right for Thumper, your partner and yourself. Above all, do not feel pressured into making a premature choice, which you may later regret somewhat.

Please let us know what you decide. :D

I'm unclear if that's supposed to be a dig at me and saying that I'm trying to pressure her into anything. I'm not. It genuinely is her choice. That is genuinely what I believe.

I try very much to go by this quote as much as possible

'The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right.'

Laury, I think that your plan sounds good. I would go with the vaccinations first. Not sure if you've read the thread in the Rabbit Chat forum about the VHD update but I think that is your pressing issue. Then neutering next, is what I would do.

I don't no what to dooooooo::):):):):):):):):):)(

You need to take it one step at a time.

As Janice-Arc and Sky-O say it is VERY important that before even attempting bonding that your boy bun is neutered and his hormone levels have dropped off. I completely agree with Janice in that I would wait post vaccination before attempting neutering, and then bonding. Rabbits have very fragile immune systems and it really is best to just subject them to one stress at a time, with time to recover in between.
Agree with Duchess that trips back and forth to a rescue would give an unclear picture and unnecessary stress for Thumper.

Back