• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post Mortems * WARNING VERY EMOTIVE SUBJECT *

Would You Have a PM Done If You Lost Your BunnyAbsolutely

• Absolutely not- (please give reasons if you can)

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • Only if it was an unexpected death, not in a previously chrnically sick Rabbit

Votes: 48 48.5%
  • Only if my Vet Suggested it

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Yes, I want my Vet to gain knowledge that may help other and it would help me 'understand' too

Votes: 16 16.2%

• Total voters
I still can't come to terms with the thought of humans having to have a PM - I can understand why, obviously.

With a pet I couldn't face the body being interferred with and like to bring my pets home for a garden burial, and for me it wouldn't change anything - I've still lost my beloved pet.

If I ran a rescue with lots of rabbits then I probably would have to come around to the fact that it could be irresponsible not to PM in the case of sudden death, in case it could put the other rabbits at risk.

I would now, but i didn't for Poppy :( I wasn't thinking straight as it was all such a shock - I had never considered my thoughts on PMs and jsut wanted to get her home and buried, it wasn't till afterwards that i realised i should have done one, to find out how she died. :cry::cry: which jsut adds to my already massive guilt.

I would do them in future. but i would also find it hard knowing my beloved pet ahd been messed aboput with after death - I *know* that what made them special has gone, but its nice to put them in the ground whole for some reason.

I would only get it done if I suspected something contagious, i don't see the point of getting it routinely done.

that is money that I would be better of putting back into the bunnies who are still alive.

And this would also come into it for me.

Ah Sooz- I see wot you meant -just remembered what my old Dad said jokingly- "we all die of the same thing ...shortage of breath!"-Sue:wave:

I'm glad Jane has posted the topic of post mortems-its a toughie but worth thinking about.

I would only get it done if my vet suggested it to be honest, for financial reasons mainly.

I have no problem with PMs really. I love my pets, but it's their personality I love. After they're gone, they're not really in much position to care.

The thought of it doesn't bother me in the slightest, after all a dead anything is just the shell of what used to be there. The person/animal's energy is no longer in that shell, so I have no issue with it [the same with me, I am on a register to donate my body to medical research and I am on the organ donor register - I have no qualms with it whatsoever]

I just don't think I would ever get one done unless there was suspicion of a contagious disease which could affect any of my other animals, as I have quite a few I am afraid that I cannot afford to have a PM on every animal that dies, and would rather save my money to spend it on the vet bills for those still with me. Of course I would love to know in a lot of cases why one of my beloved babies has died, but it won't change the fact they're gone, and it won't help the ones that are still here.

Edit: Of course, if the vet requested to perform a PM if they thought it would benefit their knowledge then I would allow them to do so as long as they didn't charge me.

Last edited:
I've never really been in a situation where i had to consider a PM. My last two buns were pts after contracting myxi, i didn't need a PM to tell me what i already knew - that i had made a massive c*ck up & my buns had paid the price.
Our cat died recently but he'd been ill for a long time & just gave up, the vet did a blood test before putting him to sleep which confirmed he had kidney failure.I think if one of my animals died very suddenly without warning i'd consider a PM (unless the vet could tell me the most probable cause) otherwise, i don't think i'd bother :)

If my pet was at the vets and something happened, or had to be pts there i would consider it, if my pet was at the vets at the time

if they were at home, i think i would just want to put them to rest. :cry:

Hi,

100% everytime if I could afford it. I just wish the vets would offer to do it to learn more (at no cost:?:? to me) Usually by the time they pass away the bill is already in £???????.00

If I were a vet I would do it free of charge if it was an unexplained death with the consent of the owner because I would want to know why as well!!

Particulary as they are still learning about our precious bunnies and how to take better care of them.

Maureen

i hope nobody minds me asking, witht he xception of those who get it free. how much do people pay for PM's?xxx

I think it would depend on which of my rabbits died (when they do) if it was the 2 that live together and I thought the other might be in danger then I would consider it. If it was Jess, I probably wouldn't.

On saying that, when my guinea pig died I was way too upset to even realise that a pm was possiable untill a week later.

i had a pm done on my rabbit gypsy because she died so quickly and the vet wanted to do it for her peace of mind and because ive got 5 other bunnies we need to know if it was any thing they could get even tho there all vaccinated,luckily it wasnt it turned out she had a lot of gunk in her lungs we dont know why coz she wasnt showing any signs of illness untill the day she died.

I would have it done if the vet asked me. I be afraid of the results though just incase bunny died because of something i had done

was interested to see that the pm showed signs of gunk in gypsy's lungs who had no symptoms of illness before death kez, as a friend of mine had a sudden unexplained death with her apparently fit young bun but she was so distraught, couldn't consider pm.-Suex

Back