• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible separation of baby bun? - bonding vibes needed pls

You're going to have your work cut out hun! But so much fun too, baby bunnies are insane! I had a littler of 7 and that was mad! I used ot bring them into the lounge to run around and they'd be binkying everywhere! So sweet!
Just make sure you feed the mums as much as they will eat, my Evee is eating out of a dog bowl at the moment and is still very slim so keep the food coming!

That's a good idea, their food bowl between the three of them lasts about 10 minutes!! :roll: Had a look last night and Bluebell has just three babies so the family is now 13 - lucky for some :D

I know this isn't a usual situation but the babies are swapping from nest to nest - is this "normal"? I checked on them this morning and one wasn't quite in the nest so I pushes the fur aside and went to pop it in and there were only two others in there, so had a look in Bluebells and there was 6 in hers. There is also one tiny one, is he likely to make it? He didn't look as full as the others, I didn't know whether I should just leave him or what? :?

As always - any advice greatly appreciated :D

My Free ad buns had two nests - babies swapped all the time :D Don't know if it was normal, but babies seem ok :D They are 10 weeks old today. And a HANDFUL!!! Good Luck :D

You'll have as many babies as me soon :shock:

It may be as well to get all the babies into the same nest in case both mums feed the same litter, especially if they keep swapping about anyway. Perhaps someone with more breeding experience can comment? Once they can move they will certainly all feed from both. I think if they get really really active in their wriggling it means they are very hungry, so watch out for that. They should have nice full bellies and coats that fit well. If they look wrinkly it can be another sign they haven't been fed.

Enjoy them :D

Thanks for the advice guys. They all seem to be doing ok, they're all still wriggling anyway!! 8 of them look big and fat, there's just the little black one that's quite a bit smaller than the others but I will take your advice Louise and put them all in one nest. I'm going to brave cleaning them out today so will do it then.

Pictures of the family:

The three girls (fingers crossed on Laikin!)
CIMG3736.jpg

Crackers (too gorgeous for words!)
CIMG3757.jpg

The two original nests
CIMG3737.jpg

The now one nest
CIMG3777.jpg

There are four black babies - some totally some with colour
CIMG3772.jpg

One brown like Dad and one black with brown tips
CIMG3776.jpg

Two grey and one silver
CIMG3771.jpg

There is one black one which is a lot smaller and wrinklier than the others and Louise advised me that he may be dehydrated and to try allowing Mum to feed him some extra. Well Bilbo was great and patiently allowed him to suckle for a good 3minutes or so, will try him again tonight and hopefully he'll grow quick and catch up with his brothers/sisters/cousins/aunts/uncles.... Complicated little family! :roll:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Mine are a few days ahead of yours, their eyes are opening. I'm always impressed with mum bunnies, they're so matter of fact and cope so well. They only have 6 teats, but seem to cope with litters of 12 without too many problems! I know for a fact I'd struggle with one baby, 12 would be my worst nightmare! (Not to mention the labour from hell!)

I think the brown one is one of the first litter, which makes him one of Bilbo's; his eyes are starting to open so he's about ten days. Hoping he'll have rexy fur but Bluebell the grey is Bilbo and Crackers' daughter so I'm guessing it's more likely her and Crackers babies will be rexy as they'll be 3/4 rex.... if that makes any sense :? !

Latest Pics:

Bilbo and Bluebell getting some alone time. Much needed!!

CIMG4017.jpg

Laikin and two of her younger siblings

CIMG3979.jpg

The young uns...

CIMG3894.jpg

Little one's catching up with brothers and sisters...

CIMG3985.jpg

Got a little white paw!!

CIMG3987.jpg

Fluffmeisters!

CIMG3989.jpg

Cuties

CIMG3993.jpg

Rexy babies

CIMG3994.jpg

Just caught up with all your posts. What fantastic bunnies. Don't let Jane see those Rex babies.

Wow they are gorgeous! Has the smallest black one caught up? I had a black runt who was very small compared to her siblings and was always at the bottom of the pile, she didnt ever catch up, she's 10months now and is half the size of her parents, pretty cute though.

Do you know which babies came from which parent?

The little runt with the white paw is still smaller than the rest but scooting around the hutch with as much energy and enthusiasm as any of the others!! It was originally really wrinkly and small in its skin but has filled out now and, although smaller, fits! :D I'm not 100% sure which belong to which Mum as their eyes all opened within the space of a couple of days of each other. I'm pretty sure the two rexy babies are Bluebells as she is Crackers daughter and therefore half rex herself, but as for the third one I'm really not sure....
Does anyone know - is that what rex babies look like? Their fur just seems a bit longer than I would have expected but then again I really wouldn't know - this is my first baby bun experience :p

They are gorgeous Chloe :D I'm so glad they are doing so well 8)

Rex fur isn't actually short, it is just very very dense. I was very surprised when Sparrow first moulted and I saw how long it was.

Well, these last ten days have been the hardest I've ever experienced with bunnies. Last night the last of the nine baby bunnies died. Two vets have been unable to explain why, post-mortems have shown nothing, they just got weak, and lay down and died over a period of 10days. Bilbo is back on Zithromax and the vet has said that if this dose doesn't clear her up we may have to concider pts as she says her lungs are so bad. Crackers too is on the medication, but he's not as bad so prognosis for him is good. Bluebell and Laikin are doing fine.

Binky free little buns, I will do all I can for your Mum.x

Oh no! So sorry to hear this news. You must be devastated.
Binky free baby bunnies - you had the best possible home for your short life on earth.
Hope Bilbo pulls through ok.
Sending hugs to you.

Back