• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible separation of baby bun? - bonding vibes needed pls

chloaster

Warren Veteran
The three buns
CIMG3603.jpg

Did you know they came this small?!
CIMG3595.jpg

Thursday afternoon I picked up three rescue buns, with the poss one of the females was pregnant as she had escaped with the boy :roll: I'm not really up on rabbits and pregnancy but her teats have been pronounced and seem heavy.
The woman I picked them up off has just rung, she's found a baby hiding in the compost heap, still alive :shock: ..... She used to let the two females run around the garden once a day. Is there any poss that the female with heavy teats has actually been feeding her baby when let out and it's survived two days without her and her teats have got heavy cos she's stopped feeding? I know this sounds like a long shot but I have to ask. The compost heap would seem a good place for her to give birth as her and her Mum were living in an indoor cage outside so it would have been too cold for babies. I'm in work all day and my husband is going to go and pick it up but what do I do with it? Do I try and reunite what poss might be Mum and baby or do I feed it myself? If so what? I have no idea how old it is or anything.
I have absolutely no idea what to do with this one. :? If there is anyone who has any suggestions I would much appreciate them. Thanks.

Update Well we thought the grey was Mum but the black one seemed to respond to it and ran down the warren near where the baby was found whereas the grey wasn't interested. We dug it out and found the nest but no other babies were there. The three of them are living together seemingly quite happily. The black one doesn't seem happy in herself though, and isn't eating well, the grey is definately pregnant, we're not sure about the black, but they are all going to the vet tomorrow - with Dad who, if given the all clear, will be there a little longer :shock: Thank you everyone who gave advice, it was greatly appreciated and thank you to Diddeen for plastering my thread around :D

Update #2 There is a nest being built in the bedroom.... :eek: Really hoping it's Bluebell's (grey) as Bilbo (black) is on antibiotics to prevent her snuffles causing pneumonia. Is there anything I should be doing? They have nesting material, food and hay on tap, water, they don't have direct access to a run, I put them out during the day, is this ok as I think I read somewhere Mum should be able to get away? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always! Thanks

Update #3 Bilbo the black, who finished her course of antibiotics thursday gave birth last night - saturday night! The three of them are still living together and was told by the previous owner that the grey was poss pregnant. Should I leave them together? :?

Update #4 Bluebell gave birth last night - monday night. We now have two nests, two mums, one fat little baby and Dad! Anyone looking to adopt a ready made family of 10+??? :D :D

:shock: Oh my goodness! I don't know about babies so I can't answer your question, but I would make sure your hubby has a good look in the compost heap as I'd be surprised if there was only one baby. Any idea what sort of size/age this baby is? Poor buns, the poor mum is probably ever so confused :cry:

It certainly all sounds like a feasible explanation - I think I'd try and reunite them (carefully as I'd guess she could kill it if she feels in danger) and see if she will feed it, although I'm guessing if they've been apart for 2 days, the baby will need to be fed by hand very soon if she doesn't take to it.

I have asked the woman to get her husband and grandson to have a look see if she can find any more. Whether they'll be alive or not is another thing, I did warn her she may find some that didn't make it. Any ideas what I should be feeding it? I have no idea how old it is or anything :(

omg what a shock!
From posts i have read before (not from experience) you could maybe hold the mum on her back and let the baby feed from her teats.. see if that works. To reunite them you would need to cover the baby in mum's toilet corner.. gross i know.. but needs to have her smell on it.

Good luck... hopefully someone who's experienced this before may be able to help you more soon

One of the loose 79 Oxford bunnies was caught and taken back to Greenfields with some other bunnies. The next day Lorna went back to the Oxford House and that evening from under one of the sheds a 2 week old rabbit crawled out to look for his mummy. The shed had to be dismantled to get the rest of the litter which she had had under the shed.
The litter was successfully reunited with the mummy.
Good luck with yours.

Rabbits only feed once a day so the baby may have only missed one feed. Definately try rubbing the baby in the mums scent and returning it. Baby buns are very hard to hand rear so that's it best chance of survival.

Tam

Try holding the doe and letting the baby feed. She will struggle so be careful she doesn't kick the baby. Put her on your lap and tip her towards you a bit and then let the baby sort of swim itself up under her. If you can't manage bring them to me tomorrow, you can come earlier than the open day if you want to. I also have a nursing doe who has already accepted one foster and may take another, plus I have appropriate substitute milk if it needs syringe feeding.

Also to bare in mind is if they've had contact with the male it's possible the other females pregnant and the first one could be carrying a second litter :?

Rub mum with your hands before touching baby and any hay etc you use to make a nest should smell of mum too. Generally rabbits won;t notice if you add babies to a nest (or take them away) but this is different. She may just get back into feeding it once she finds it as does get very uncomfortable when they haven't fed for a few days as they're full of milk and want rid! Chances are she will just start feeding it again if you pop it in her hutch (in the corner, not the dirty one!)

It is absolutely gorgeous - trying not to get too attached! :lol: I just didn't realize they were so mobile and aware and well "bunny like" when they were so small :oops: It's hard to see in the pics but (s)he's about the size of a key ring fob! :)

Quick update - Crackers (Dad, see pic) is sulking and I don't blame him; he had his op thursday and is not happy. The grey (Bluebell) is doing really well, the vet said she is showing all the signs of pregnancy but he couldn't actually feel anything so here's hoping she's not! The baby is doing great too, still can't get over how such a baby bun is so adult rabbit like but in hamster size! :lol: We have called it Lakin, which means found treasure.
Mum (Bilbo) is not doing so well, she was sneezing and wheezing and making retching noises. The vet gave her a Baytril jab and she is on antibiotics. I know this isn't good for the baby but she doesn't seem very strong and the vet reckoned if she didn't get treatment she'd end up with pneumonia. Her nose is clearer now and she's not making the retching noises, so please keep fingers crossed for her and pray she pulls through.

Crackers
CIMG3606.jpg

chloaster said:
vet said she is showing all the signs of pregnancy but he couldn't actually feel anything so here's hoping she's not!

My cousins bunny might be up the duff as he was sold two "females" from P@H, but were not too sure how to tell.

m
xx

mit said:
chloaster said:
vet said she is showing all the signs of pregnancy but he couldn't actually feel anything so here's hoping she's not!

My cousins bunny might be up the duff as he was sold two "females" from P@H, but were not too sure how to tell.

m
xx

Have a look at these pictures http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=648 otherwise if they are local organise to pop them over to Donna to be checked out.

jrn1310 said:
mit said:
chloaster said:

m
xx

Have a look at these pictures http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=648 otherwise if they are local organise to pop them over to Donna to be checked out.

I know how sex rabbits, im alright with that bit. He's defo's got a male and a female, but i was askin what the signs of pregancy were as we think she might be pregges.

m
xx

Back