• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor bunny-what to do?

BTW....Thanks Laura for your very kind offer of a cage. If I need to take him I may well take you up on that.

Thanks loads!!!

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

This is really sad! Thinking of you Nicola, I really hope the vet rings with good news tomorrow - let us know as soon as you do! We have a great vet down here (up here? :? ) who does teeth without a GA and only charges a £10. I have three bunnies I took on with previous teeth problems - two has been given the all clear and the other has regular check ups but so far he's been ok too. It's great that their paperwork and policies are so tightly adhered to but a shame they can't be more flexible in this sort of situation especially as there are so many bunnies with "teeth problems" who have them under control with good diet or are diligently looked after and taken for regular check ups.
Usually I think being honest is the best policy but like someone has suggested here maybe if it saves the buns life it could be worth you taking him on, letting them believe he died under GA and rehoming him yourself? It sounds terrible but having three toothy buns myself I can't believe they're concidering pts yet at the same time I appreciate it's a high cost and risk if a GA is involved everytime.

Hi Fiona,

I just have to wait to hear from the vet today. The vet said she probably won't ring until early afternoon and I will have left work by them so won't be able to post on the thread.

I am keeping everything crossed that his teeth are o.k and I'm worrying unneccessarily but at least I have a couple of ideas if the news isn't so good.

Thanks to everyone who have offered help.

L O L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Nicola, sorry to hear about this bunny. Sue, formerly from Bracknell Rabbit Rescue has moved and now has opened a sanctuary to take in hard to rehome bunnies. When I visited her rescue to pick up my run, I remember her telling me about dental bunnies and how wanted to help them because too often they are pts. Please consider speaking to Sue as I know she would not want this bunny to be pts. Hopefully because she ran a wonderful rescue and now has a sanctuary, your rescue would consider the transfer of this bunny to her. I am sure we would all help with some fundraising for his treatment. Can anyone do a link from Tufty of Sue's new establishment as I am still useless :roll:

raine said:
Nicola, sorry to hear about this bunny. Sue, formerly from Bracknell Rabbit Rescue has moved and now has opened a sanctuary to take in hard to rehome bunnies. When I visited her rescue to pick up my run, I remember her telling me about dental bunnies and how wanted to help them because too often they are pts. Please consider speaking to Sue as I know she would not want this bunny to be pts. Hopefully because she ran a wonderful rescue and now has a sanctuary, your rescue would consider the transfer of this bunny to her. I am sure we would all help with some fundraising for his treatment. Can anyone do a link from Tufty of Sue's new establishment as I am still useless :roll:

http://tuftyfund.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6984&PN=1

Hi :D ,

Thank you for that.

The problem is that the rescue that has this bunny is very rigid as far as it's rules and regulations go. They just won't bend the rules at all. I have suggested taking him and rehoming him myself but they won't allow that.

1)They won't allow him to go out of the area and he has to be homed locally

2)If I take him I have to sign documents to say that I won't part with the rabbit and agree to allow the rescue to monitor the rabbit-follow up homechecks etc.

3)They say that if his teeth are going to require regular dentals it is very often kinder to pts as they cannot guarantee that the new adopter will be dedicated enough to take the rabbit for constant checks

4) They don't have permanent resident buns as they have few pens and see this as stopping other rabbits in need coming in

5) They also say there is the cost issue and that the money spent on ongoing dentals could have helped lots more rabbits in need.

I have to wait until the vet phones me tthis afternnon to let me know whether it's a pts situation or not. I am keeping my fingers crossed that his teeth aren't too bad and they will continue to try and rehome him. If not I will have to have another option up my sleeve.

I already have Harveys ongoing dental probs which have been costing me a fortune. He has been in and out of the vets every couple of weeks. People on here have offered to help with fees if needs be and it was also mentioned that I could put an appeal for his dental fees if it comes to it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be good news.

I'm not in work this afternoon so won't be able to pm.

L O L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Nicola, I have heard from Sue and she has offered him a permanent home at her sanctuary, if a bunny run can be organised. I understand that the rescue will not rehome outside the area, but I would hope that as it is an offer from a wonderful rabbit sanctuary that they will grasp this opportunity. It will free up the space for them to rescue another bunny and Sue, who has expertise of dental bunnies, can extend one of her sought after places to him. As you can see from the website, he would have a lovely home.

Ill leave it to you to see what you can do.

Nicola, I have heard from Sue and she has offered him a permanent home at her sanctuary, if a bunny run can be organised. I understand that the rescue will not rehome outside the area, but I would hope that as it is an offer from a wonderful rabbit sanctuary that they will grasp this opportunity. It will free up the space for them to rescue another bunny and Sue, who has expertise of dental bunnies, can extend one of her sought after places to him. As you can see from the website, he would have a lovely home.

Oh wouldn't that be great if this could happen :D lets hope the rescue will let him live his life out with Sue ..

***********UPDATE***************

Nicola has just text me she's not on line today, the vets have called and his teeth are ok :D , not only that, but he's ben offered a home as a house bunny :D

Yay well done Nicola for all your work.

SOAD said:
***********UPDATE***************

Nicola has just text me she's not on line today, the vets have called and his teeth are ok :D , not only that, but he's ben offered a home as a house bunny :D

Yay well done Nicola for all your work.

:thumb:

:D :D

Janex

Hi everyone :D ,

Thank you for all you support. Thanks ever so much to Tree who has been extremely kind and helpful.

The vet phoned me on Friday afternoon to tell me that she had checked the buns teeth and that they looked o.k. Also it was looking like he had been offered a home as a house bunny which is fantastic news. I will stay in touch with the rescue just in case the home falls through and they find it diificult to find another home for him.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again.

L O L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Back