• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Plumpkin - Farewell

I feel like some of you might be interested to see what her report was like, as this has been so drawn out and we've all been speculating over the months about exactly what is going on in her mouth:

20190227_201442 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

I've been crying on and off all day. I still can't believe I'm going to lose her. It feels unbearable. This was her and Beatrice this morning. They have a beautiful bond. I hope that Beatrice doesn't miss her terribly :(

2019-02-28_07-24-31 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

Thank you for sharing this Beapig. I feel as you do - shocked. I dreamt about Plumpkin last night - she has had such an impact on me as has your story. It is beyond remarkable what you have done and my own appreciation just somehow feels so insignificant. I also am struggling to comprehend why Plumpkin must go. I understand the vets angle but it just seems so very wrong. You have been Plumkins saviour and her personality shone through so brightly. She is just beautiful and is a rabbit whose story touched all of us in many ways. I can't speak for everyone, but I will feel her loss. I am so sorry that Plumpkin hasn't had more time to share her love with your rabbits but the time she has had has been so special. She is special and so are you. God bless you Beapig and a big nose rub for Plumpkin. xx

awww poor baby girl. That makes for sad reading. I think everyone will miss Plumpkin, Bea included, but she will cope because she will have you & Ham to help her through xxx

That's awfully sad to read but you had to know the score. You have gone above and beyond for your darling girl.

Love and hugs to you xxx

Yes I understand its inherently a high risk proceedure for one or two teeth never mind a mouthful & the risks are just too high if the jaw bone has been weakened by dental disease :(

I hope your baby girl is enjoying her trio loves & smoothies . My heart goes out to you & OH xx

Has she got any antibiotics for the mouth infection?
One of my rabbits wasn't too dissimilar to this. She had depocillin injections daily and it helped a lot with the infected area / abnormal soft tissue. The lab results from the biopsy may give you some other treatment options to hold it at bay for longer.

Has she got any antibiotics for the mouth infection?
One of my rabbits wasn't too dissimilar to this. She had depocillin injections daily and it helped a lot with the infected area / abnormal soft tissue. The lab results from the biopsy may give you some other treatment options to hold it at bay for longer.

Hi Shimmer,

Do you think I should contact Sonya to ask her about this? What was the state of your rabbit's mouth like in terms of her teeth? The problem is, it sounds like the mouth swelling is a side effect of everything else and that the state of her teeth are the biggest problem.

I would love for there to be a chance to save her but nor do I want to get my hopes up :(

Hi Shimmer,

Do you think I should contact Sonya to ask her about this? What was the state of your rabbit's mouth like in terms of her teeth? The problem is, it sounds like the mouth swelling is a side effect of everything else and that the state of her teeth are the biggest problem.

I would love for there to be a chance to save her but nor do I want to get my hopes up :(

I would have thought that Sonya would have suggested aggressive abx treatment if she thought there was even a microscopic chance of any benefits. She has seen first hand the exact condition of Plumpkin's teeth and of the skull radiography. That said, I would certainly contact her and discuss Shimmer's suggestion.

It may be that the lab results do not give any indication of infection but of a Fibrosarcoma. I had a Rabbit (Uncle Albert) who presented in the exact same way as Plumpkin and the Vet's findings on examination under GA and from skull Radiographs were also very similar.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ts-CANCER&highlight=uncle+albert+fibrosarcoma

Her cheek teeth are cemented to her jaw - if they attempted to remove them they would fracture her jaw and kill her. So there's no solution :cry:

Yes it's often the way that there's a great risk to the jaw in removing cheek teeth.

When I had a rabbit with purulent discharge constantly I was given injectables to administer.

The thing I am honestly find the hardest/most confusing right now is that she isn't acting like she's in a lot of pain.

She's running around, washing herself, eating very well.

Sonya said that rabbits don't express pain like other animals do.

I want to do what is best for Plumpkin, 100%. I want to make the right decision. This is so hard.

The thing I am honestly find the hardest/most confusing right now is that she isn't acting like she's in a lot of pain.

I want to do what is best for Plumpkin, 100%. I want to make the right decision. This is so hard.

The other day, prior to her visit to Sonya, you mentioned that she was spending much of the time just sleeping. So maybe the Dental treatment given has made her feel a lot better for now. It could be that you will need to take things one day at a time. Personally I would wait for the lab results before making any big decisions. From what you have said in the post above she certainly does not sound to be 'suffering'. She has no idea of all of her problems and as far as she is concerned if she is comfortable then there is nothing wrong. She has no fear or worry about what may happen tomorrow. Unfortunately it is you who has to cope with knowing that her condition is probably life limiting (((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) xx

Sending hugs, you’ll know in your hearts when the time is right to help her over Rainbow Bridge. You’ve given her such love and care, it’s heartbreaking that you can’t heal her xxx

I feel a bit confused/conflicted. Maybe I should call Sonya tomorrow but she really did make out that this was the only option.

Sonya is right in saying that rabbits don't show their pain in the expected fashion. However if she is behaving as you say then I would definitely think about what to do next .. In that taking one step at a time here is probably the most you can hope for.

Plumpkin doesn't have the insight that you have into her condition and she lives for the moment. It's terribly hard to expect you to do the same, but taking things day by day, and even hour by hour is the way forward. I have been in this situation and it requires a lot of effort to stop worrying about what the next few moments will bring.

Back