• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help

Bunnymum4

Young Bun
My bunny was diagnosed with coccidia. These have been the longest most hellish 2 weeks. All meds now finished. Today he is mouth breathing and not eating. He is skeletal. I have been by his side being his nurse for 14 days. How do I know how long to wait. He can hardly breathe yet this comes and goes and I'm absolutely broken

If he is mouth breathing and not eating he needs a vet right away. Please don't wait. I hope he'll be okay. Sending so many vibes for him.

Thank you. I realise this is what most would deem an emergency, he is dying. But he is much too fragile to go to the vet. Last time he was this fragile he died and had a fit as he's terrified of the vet. The coccidia seemingly has spread and damaged other parts of his body. He is beyond too thin for anesthesia and would die so they can't so xrays or more tests. I'm terrified he is in pain and I'm thinking the kindest thing is to have him put to sleep. He is like my child and I have fought for weeks with medication and 24 hour care. I don't thi k I can watch him suffer anymore I am broken

Please take your Rabbit to an emergency Vet now, even if all the Vet can do is release him from his suffering.

I am sorry that he is so gravely ill :cry:

Thank you. I realise this is what most would deem an emergency, he is dying. But he is much too fragile to go to the vet. Last time he was this fragile he died and had a fit as he's terrified of the vet. The coccidia seemingly has spread and damaged other parts of his body. He is beyond too thin for anesthesia and would die so they can't so xrays or more tests. I'm terrified he is in pain and I'm thinking the kindest thing is to have him put to sleep. He is like my child and I have fought for weeks with medication and 24 hour care. I don't thi k I can watch him suffer anymore I am broken
Ah, I see... I'm so, so sorry he is so very poorly, and has been for quite a while now... Have you called the vet for advice? I think that would be the best thing to do. Unless your vet would do a home visit to put him to sleep, he'll have to go to the vet for that as well, which, as you say, could be a problem as he's so weak, but it sounds like the only thing you can do... I'm so sorry you and your poor bunny are in this situation. :(

I took him to vets knowing he was too weak to be handled and as I predicted had heart attack and died in absolute terror throwing himself around screaming. Ill never forgive myself for taking him.im dead inside

Bunnymum I'm so sorry I can feel your pain in your posts.
I can see from your writing you loved him so much.
It must be really hard now. Let yourself cry.
He had so much love from you remember that

Dont beat yourself up about it, you had no choice but to take him, had you not you would have again blamed yourself for not trying everything possible, sadly our upset and guilt mirrors our love and whilst it can be unbearable it does reflect your love for them and the home you gave them and no animal could get more, ends are often nasty in all creatures including people. He has gone back to being unborn, he doesnt recall what happened, he just knows he no longer feels bad, and that is what you should remember, we do what we think is right at the time and thats the best any of us can do. I feel your pain I truly do but you loved bunny and you TRIED .........many wouldnt!

Thank you for your kind words. Everyone I truly mean it. I fought with everything to save my boy. I hate myself for not being able to. Today I have his ashes back, ill never be happy again without him but I have 3 more bunnies to give a happy life too so have to carry on. Your all so kind hearted x

Every bunny has their unique personality, so I know you can never replace him. Plus, we get very close to our bunnies as we provide nursing care. That being said, your three others will keep you busy and I know you will take excellent care of them too.
What will you do with the ashes?

Back