• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please don't be cross with me - I'm sorry

Hello.

Please don't be cross with me.:cry:

After only being neutered 2 weeks ago, my husband and I decided to let Eric and Ernie out together on Saturday..........

Of course it all went horribly wrong:cry::cry:
Ernie was forced down a shallow gully and Eric was on top of him. My husband was there in a shot and seperated them, but of course it was so distressing for the boys (and us).
Unfortuantley Eric (the one on top) had either his ear bitten or clawed.

I had to go to work and OH stayed with them, but he had to go out around mid day.

It wasn't until I could check the boys over properly the next morning when OH was home (the boys don't really like being handled) and it is hard by Myself.
that I noticed how bad the ear was.:oops::oops:

So I booked them both into the vets on Monday. Mostly to get them thouroughly checked over but also to check their "bits" were healing after neutering (all fine)

Sorry this is so long............

Anyway, Eric has been given Baytril .04mg to take in 100ml water.

But in the room the most awful thing happened.

My husband was holding him and all of a sudden he clambered up my husbands arm onto his shoulder and took the most enormous leap ever( even the vet thought it was "impressive":cry:)
He jumped up as high as the ceiling and straight back down onto the floor.(about a 6ft drop)

My God I thought he would be dead and if not, every bone in his body broken!!!!:shock::shock::shock:

I couldn't get to him as the vet and OH were there, but I could have cried.
They picked him up and put him in his carrier.
My husband asked if he was alright and the vet said she thought so, but he may be a bit stiff the next day.If I was worried at all to take him back.

My poor little boy...........

He WAS fine the next day. Leaping and binkying.

If I hadn't been so stupid letting them out together so soon, he wouldn't have had to take that enormous leap.

I feel so horrible and guilty.

What is so amazing about him, is he still comes to me and isn't scared of me.

Just to try and excuse Myself a little, the only reason why I attempted to let them be together, was that someone I met who was experienced with Rabbits, almost implied that I should try them together.
I said I wanted to re-bond them but wasn't sure if it would work and she said "Well have you tried letting them out, baring in mind they are in runs next to each other"

Stupidly, I thought it might be just o.k

I have learnt a really HUGE lesson now............
Only take advice from the people on here. You all say you should leave it 6-8 weeks before trying to bond, but I let this one person sway my judgement and my poor little boys suffered from my actions.

I'm so sorry everyone, I'm a failed Bunny Mummy:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Big hugs sweetie and hope Eric recovers quickly. It is very brave of you to be so honest and post but I'm glad you did as it's useful for other members of the forum to understand why it is best to wait.

We all make mistakes, try not to give yourself a hard time, you already feel guilty enough.

Lian x

Try not to beat yourself up too much over it and move on from here. x

I've got to say though, I'm not sure about giving Baytril in water (if I've read your post correctly) - it tastes foul and is very hard to accurately dose that way.

Hoping Eric is back to normal in no time for you. As has been said you learn from mistakes and dont be hard on yourself. :)

Only take advice from the people on here.

I'm so sorry everyone, I'm a failed Bunny Mummy

Even advice on here even will vary greatly so it's never simple. I don't think you should blame yourself so harshly for trying them together. If the bunnies have been friendly in the past I certainly can understand why you wanted to do it.

You are far from a failed bunny mummy, you made a mistake and regret it bitterly and will always do your best for your bunnies - no failings there that I can see!!

I look forward to hearing of them being successfully re-bonded sometime down the line .....

Thank You Lian - so understanding.
I have been wondering all week whether to admit my mistake, but the guilt is so awful!

Eric seems no worse for the experience and considering he was real fiesty before his Op, he has turned out to be such a treasure.

I will definately wait a bit longer and if I decide to bond them, I may well get an expert to take us through the whole procedure.

Thanks Everyone for support

Hi Sarah P
Yes it has been diffucult to get Baytril into him, but this morning he was lapping it up!!!!! Even licking his Lips!!!!!

I might just go back to the Vet though and make sure I didn't miss anything under all that stress!!!!:oops::oops::oops:

don't be cross

Hi well sorry you have only brought it on yourself. I have in the past had lots of rabbits and under no uncertain temrs do you put two males together even if one of them has been neutered. You neuter so that if you have female rabbits the male can then not get the female pregnant. Two males will fight no matter what. They could have been brought up together still doesn't make any difference. I hope that you have learnt your lesson from this. I don't mean to come across as annoyed but you should have more sense really. I had two females, sisters they were and one ripped the others nose and lip.Bucks should be kept in separate hutches at all times or else it will happen again but next time you may not be so lucky in patching them up Joanne

dont be to hard on yourself, my bun bill is only 6 months and he loves to try and leap stupid heights i had him in my arms for which he struggled up my shoulder and dived in the kitchen sink lucky the water was warm :? i checked him over and he was fine, bill is a pickle and only loves to be picked up so he can have a nose around he turns his head and puts his paw up then i move he stops looks round and does it again, picks a spot and tries to leap, hes a monkey not a bun , sometimes you just cant hold them quick enough, it is very worrying, buns can be right pickles sometimes

Hi well sorry you have only brought it on yourself. I have in the past had lots of rabbits and under no uncertain temrs do you put two males together even if one of them has been neutered. You neuter so that if you have female rabbits the male can then not get the female pregnant. Two males will fight no matter what. They could have been brought up together still doesn't make any difference. I hope that you have learnt your lesson from this. I don't mean to come across as annoyed but you should have more sense really. I had two females, sisters they were and one ripped the others nose and lip.Bucks should be kept in separate hutches at all times or else it will happen again but next time you may not be so lucky in patching them up Joanne

This is a load of rubbish and doesnt help anyone by saying they brought it on themselves. Many people on here have boys together, even in groups with more than two males so it is possible. Males can be paired and if done right have lasting bonds. Before posting in future please get your facts straight and think about peopes feelings, she feels bad enough as it is.

Hope your bunny is feeling better soon.:):)

This is a load of rubbish and doesnt help anyone by saying they brought it on themselves. Many people on here have boys together, even in groups with more than two males so it is possible. Males can be paired and if done right have lasting bonds. Before posting in future please get your facts straight and think about peopes feelings, she feels bad enough as it is.

Hope your bunny is feeling better soon.:):)

Agreed; it's totally untrue boys can't get on - I have ten happy friendly males...

All below are male, for instance, except the black rex...

Picture504-1.jpg

CarrotandThumper240708.jpg

Picture595.jpg

Sleepingrabbits240708-1.jpg

Last edited:

:shock: Harsh, rude and wrong I'm afraid :roll: Bucks can live together in complete harmony, proof is on this forum :?

Last edited:
How rude, Joanne, really there is no need whatsoever to take that tone.

A lot of people keep 2 bucks together, it all depends on their nature, no matter what their sex.

Jessica Rabbit, you are not a terrible rabbit owner, it didn't work out for you but no real, lasting harm has been done :D

You are wrong so very wrong.. Lots of us have boys together my boys love each other very much and even when bonding them they took to each other straight away.. Please don't blame yourself Jessica rabbit, did you bond them somewhere here none of them had been before ?

:? ive got two sets of boys living together too and my two youngest are gluuuuuuuuuuued together, granted my two set have differnat charaters one is more dominate but thats the way it goes but they dont fight, its all trail an error i belive whether you put 2,3,4,5, same sex or mix, there are some females who hate other males and there are some who just like to be on there own, its just how you do it, like us every animal is differant

((((((((((((((((((huge hugs)))))))))))))))) how awful for you :(

dont blame yourself its all a learning curve this rabbit business and you do your best for your boys

I am dreading trying to rebond my boys so scared they wont get on again especially after reading Joanne's harsh and negative comments

hope they are both ok and friends again soon xx

I have the toy story trio and i must say Woody and Baby Buzz (both Males) are much closer than Woody & Jess or Jess and Baby Buzz.
Woody and Buzz are constantly cleaning each other and cuddling each other whilst Jess is quite happy on her own away from the boys.

Good luck

Hi well sorry you have only brought it on yourself. I have in the past had lots of rabbits and under no uncertain temrs do you put two males together even if one of them has been neutered. You neuter so that if you have female rabbits the male can then not get the female pregnant. Two males will fight no matter what. They could have been brought up together still doesn't make any difference.

Not only rather harsh but also incorrect. I suggest you do a search of my trio of buns which include 2 males, their names are Totti, Spike and Kiki. You will see from all the posts that Totti and Spike (the 2 neutered unrelated boys) are totally besotted with each other.

Back