• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please can Frosty have some vibes? U/d almost back to normal:)

Yes, he literally ate slightly less hay on one day, then hardly any the next, and I got him seen on that day and the dental done the day after. So I don’t think I can rely on signs from him! I’ll just have to keep taking him to the vets and try to have it done before he needs it.

I think you are right about the discomfort, thankfully there’s plenty of stuff still to try him with!

This is the difficulty isn't it. Even if there are signs one time, they are a bit too inconsistent for my liking. Even regular vet visits are difficult if buns get stressed by them. I wonder if you could get a vet nurse to house call on a regular basis to do an oral assessment.

What we need is a pressure pad that lights up a "I need a bunny dr / dentist" sign & then to train our bunnies to use it only when needed

This is the difficulty isn't it. Even if there are signs one time, they are a bit too inconsistent for my liking. Even regular vet visits are difficult if buns get stressed by them. I wonder if you could get a vet nurse to house call on a regular basis to do an oral assessment.

What we need is a pressure pad that lights up a "I need a bunny dr / dentist" sign & then to train our bunnies to use it only when needed

Yes exactly! I’ll be watching him even more closely now. He’s due his vaccinations in March so I can get him checked then, this time he went 8 months between dentals and obviously that was too long, but by how much I don’t know! I’m hoping if he goes to the vets and nothing really happens then that might help. He didn’t used to get stressed in the car. Apparently he settles fine once no one is poking him! I could ask about home visits too. He does settle quickly after meds and stuff which is good.

We should have a pressure pad! I now know that if he’s inside his tower where he does his flopping, if he’s sat in there instead of on top of the other one, that he’s feeling off.

I once had a vet coming out to one of the goats when I had my half wildie pair, Dandy and Beano. I asked him to vaccinate them in situ, to save a vet trip, he said my goodness they are wild :lol: that was my goat vet, you’d think he’d be used to animals that were unhandleable :lol:

Frosty says a big thankyou to Joey, Boo and Mouse for the lovely forage he’s received today :love:

He’s eaten some hay today, some fibrefirst sticks and some carrot and apple baby food - which he’s taken a liking to thankfully, I’m going to mix his metacam in it tonight so there’s one less syringe!

He’s seeming a lot brighter and is back to waiting at the gate when he hears me rather than sitting on his tower! :thumb:

Frosty says a big thankyou to Joey, Boo and Mouse for the lovely forage he’s received today :love:

He’s eaten some hay today, some fibrefirst sticks and some carrot and apple baby food - which he’s taken a liking to thankfully, I’m going to mix his metacam in it tonight so there’s one less syringe!

He’s seeming a lot brighter and is back to waiting at the gate when he hears me rather than sitting on his tower! :thumb:

Cautiously optimistic that it wont be much longer before he's 100% back to normal !! *Touches wood*

Best not let Boo, Joey and Mouse know that some of their forage is missing :shock: They insist that all forage found within a 100 mile radius of home is all theirs !! :lol:

Yes, he literally ate slightly less hay on one day, then hardly any the next, and I got him seen on that day and the dental done the day after. So I don’t think I can rely on signs from him! I’ll just have to keep taking him to the vets and try to have it done before he needs it.

I think you are right about the discomfort, thankfully there’s plenty of stuff still to try him with!

My two bunnies go approximately six months between dentals. Mine take a couple days to get back to being themselves so I don't want to take them too soon either.
Sometimes one or two of my bunnies will not eat hay because they do not like that the texture of the new batch is different than the last batch.

I am glad your bunny is on the mend.

Cautiously optimistic that it wont be much longer before he's 100% back to normal !! *Touches wood*

Best not let Boo, Joey and Mouse know that some of their forage is missing :shock: They insist that all forage found within a 100 mile radius of home is all theirs !! :lol:

Joey,Boo and Mouse forage is delicious according to Frosty :love: he hoovered up a bowl full last night, and I’ve just left him devouring a bowl full this morning :thumb:

He’s back to acting normally now, but not back to full hay eating yet. At least he’s eating some!

My two bunnies go approximately six months between dentals. Mine take a couple days to get back to being themselves so I don't want to take them too soon either.
Sometimes one or two of my bunnies will not eat hay because they do not like that the texture of the new batch is different than the last batch.

I am glad your bunny is on the mend.

The first dental he had he bounced back quickly, this time it’s 9 days and he’s acting normally but not eating hay normally yet. Hopefully we won’t have to go through this after every dental, it’s been rather stressful :cry:

The last dental bunny I had was 6 months between dentals but I know some need them much more regularly.

You are right about hay batches, he’s not so keen on one hay he loves normally which he’s not had for a while. Although he might like it again once he’s forgotten the pain of his dental.

Joey,Boo and Mouse forage is delicious according to Frosty :love: he hoovered up a bowl full last night, and I’ve just left him devouring a bowl full this morning :thumb:

He’s back to acting normally now, but not back to full hay eating yet. At least he’s eating some!

It's taking a while, isn't it?

J&B's forage is renowned for being amongst the tastiest :)

Joey doesn't mind. He is actually a very experienced herbalist. I tell him whats going on for the bunny & he uses mind control to direct my hands to pick the best herbs & leaves for the job. Boo though - not so keen on sharing outside their warren. Mouses view? whatever Boo says.

I'm glad that Frosty appears to be continuing with steady progress & enjoyed his wee selection of Joeys herbal fare

Yes, it’s 9 days since his dental. But I’m hoping we have turned a corner now.

He certainly loves it :love:

Gosh nine days.

More vibes for the little man.

Sorry if it's been asked and answered previously, but do you know why it's taking him so long to recover this time?

Gosh nine days.

More vibes for the little man.

Sorry if it's been asked and answered previously, but do you know why it's taking him so long to recover this time?

He had 2 ulcers one either side of his tongue so we think probably due to that. Also he’s going through a major moult and I found hay in his poop. He’s bright in himself and eating, but not much hay yet. Having said that his output is good and his poops are turning a better colour.

He had 2 ulcers one either side of his tongue so we think probably due to that. Also he’s going through a major moult and I found hay in his poop. He’s bright in himself and eating, but not much hay yet. Having said that his output is good and his poops are turning a better colour.

Nothing like reading a detailed poo update whilst eating my cornflakes................... :lol:

I hope Frosty will continue to make progress today xx

Nothing like reading a detailed poo update whilst eating my cornflakes................... :lol:

I hope Frosty will continue to make progress today xx

I hope you enjoyed your breakfast;) :lol: still producing some hairy poops and not eating as much as I’d like, and he was back to tummy pressing after his meds last night, he’s at the vet this morning so I’m going to see what the vet thinks about him.

I hope you enjoyed your breakfast;) :lol: still producing some hairy poops and not eating as much as I’d like, and he was back to tummy pressing after his meds last night, he’s at the vet this morning so I’m going to see what the vet thinks about him.

I read that as you still producing hairy poos.:shock:

I took him back to the vets this morning for a check up, yesterday he hardly ate anything all day apart from 2 fibafirst sticks, then after 3pm ate a bowl of Readigrass and some hay, and after his gut meds and metacam he was acting very oddly for about half an hour running to his litter tray, acting as if he wanted to poo, then flopping and manically washing his paws :shock: I was just wondering about taking him to the out of hour vets when he started acting normally again. He’s fine this morning and I didn’t give him any meds.

C listened to his guts and he had normal nice loud gut sounds and she said probably as his guts are now ok, the gut meds made them go into overdrive and he doesn’t need them now. She said to try leaving off the metacam now too.

I think I’ve turned him into a spoilt bunny who waits for room service (hand feeding)! now he’s back on pellet rations and feeding himself I think he decided to wait for me to serve him and when I didn’t come he had to get it himself:lol:

Back