• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis medication query

Loula

Mama Doe
Hello! It’s been a long time since I last posted but hoping to get some advice.

Larry stopped eating & pooping early this morning (approx 3am). We had a vet appointment this morning at a new vet practise and the medication he’s been given is different to what he’s previously had when in stasis. He’s back home with us after getting sub cut fluids, a loxicam injection and an emeprid injection. If I’m reading it right on the invoice it says that the quantity of loxicam he had injected was 17.2mls of 5mg/ml which seems way too high.

Previously after medication he’s usually perked up and started eating quite quickly (albeit a reduced amount to normal, but still eating) but he hasn’t today, and is just sporadically nibbling at hay. There’s been a few small poops. He’s still very quiet and is just sitting in his litter tray.

The drugs we’ve been sent home with are Cisapride 5mg/ml 0.4ml twice a day, and loxicom 1.5mg/ml 3ml twice a day. We’ve never given him Cisapride before, we’ve always previously been given emeprid. Is it the same? Because the dose compared to previous emeprid doses is massively different. Also, the loxicom seems like a high dose to me. Larry is 4.5kg.

Any advice re the medication would be greatly received. We moved vets because we didn’t think our last ones were very knowledgeable but now I’m panicking we’ve made a mistake!

Sorry Larry is poorly - hope he picks up soon. Cisparide is a good med for a bunny in gut stasis (I posted a similar question on here a while back) - apparently works on all necessary parts of gut. I'm afraid I don't know about doses though. Hopefully someone will be along soon

I would query the dose of Loxicom, AFAIK the one prescribed is too high as far as the one you were given to take home is concerned.

The one injected was OK as it was the Cat Loxicom, a concentration of 0.5mg/ml. The one you were given to take home is the dog Loxicom at a concentration of 1.5mg/kg.

I suspect this is where the dispensing mix up occurred. They dispensed the Dog Metacam to take home , but prescribed the dose for the Cat Metacam.

Emeprid (/Metoclopramide) works on the Upper GI tract, increasing the rate at which the stomach empties into the small intestines

Cisapride works on the lower GI tract, increasing the motility of the cecum.

The drugs can be very beneficial when prescribed together

Thanks both.

I checked the prescription from the last two times he’s gone into stasis and he’d previously been prescribed 1.4ml of metacam twice a day so it does seem like they’ve made a mistake somewhere.

Still minimal eating, and little output. He is due his first lot of meds now (loxicom & Cisapride) since he had them at the vets this morning. It all feels very spaced out as last time he was in stasis we’d been giving emeprid every 6 hours, whereas this is Cisapride every 12 hours and no emeprid other than his injection this morning. Hopefully these two will help kickstart him to start eating again. Can’t be doing with this stress!!!

Did the vet rule out a blockage? If so, I would start to syringe feed him some recovery food. He really needs to have some food going through his system. Sometimes they will start to eat strong-smelling herbs if you crush the leaves a bit.

17.2 ml of 0.5mg/ml is 8.6 mg divided by 4.5 kg means he got 1.91 mg/kg injected.

A dose of 3ml of 1.5mg/ml means 4.5mg or 1 mg/kg twice a day.

These dosages are on the high side, yet I cannot say if they are too high for short term use.

Since he has some output, and minimal eating I would consider syringe feeding if it would not be too stressful for him.

Sending vibes.

Sorry for not coming back to this sooner. Thankfully he perked up late on Friday and has been making steady progress since then. Lots of poo, and eating is getting back to normal. His medication is prescribed until tomorrow night so hopefully that’ll be enough to get him back on track.
Omi, thank you for suggesting herbs. I think due to my sleep deprived mind I’d completely not even thought about the garden full of herbs especially grown for them 🤯 but they definitely got him back interested in food to begin with.

Back