• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please can Floppy have some vibes? UD p49 - back from vet

Thanks for the advice Jane, and the vibes everyone.

He can hop, but seems to just prefer lying in the one place now. I just didn't think that he would get worse if it was his leg, especially after the painkiller.

Whatever it is, he is obviously in a lot of pain, going by the amount of tooth grinding going on :(. I just hope the vet can help with it.

And I hope my meagre emergency fund can cope with the costs, as his insurance won't cover his leg or any stasis/bloat.

Thanks for the advice Jane, and the vibes everyone.

He can hop, but seems to just prefer lying in the one place now. I just didn't think that he would get worse if it was his leg, especially after the painkiller.

Whatever it is, he is obviously in a lot of pain, going by the amount of tooth grinding going on :(. I just hope the vet can help with it.

And I hope my meagre emergency fund can cope with the costs, as his insurance won't cover his leg or any stasis/bloat.

I'd ask the Vet about a payment plan if he is going to need surgery.

The other *possibility* is that he has got some infection in the patella (osteomyelitis) This would most certainly account for his level of pain.
Poor lad, hopefully the Vet will give him a strong opiate analgesic straight away.

Poor lad. I don't know his history but I think if he was mine I'd be pushing for an xray now, before the pain sends him into full blown stasis- whether its a fracture, torn cruciate or something else it's obviously very sore.
Sending noserubs xx

Oh, the poor soul :( MASSIVE *vibes* to Floppy.

I'd suspect the gammy leg as opposed to EC - In my (limited) experience, EC gradually results in a total loss of control over the back legs, suggesting that he shouldn't be able to hop at all. Is he incontinent at all?

As Jane said, speaking to your vet about a payment plan may be a good idea, if you have been with them for a while most vets are very helpful with this. :)

sorry to hear he isn't picked up .Tried to call but your away to the vets. Will call back later. Let me know if there anything I can do.

Just back from the vet. We were there for about an hour.

His leg seems much better now, but his tummy is much worse, full of gas :(.

They can't find the cause for the pain, and did suggest EC, but didn't think that his symptoms fitted fully. He's not incontinent, but his back legs do drag a bit sometimes, and have only started doing this recently.

His leg joint doesn't seem inflammed now, and didn't seem to be bothering him during his examination. They couldn't find any sign of inflammation.

He has been treated for bloat, and we have to go back again tomorrow. If he hasn't picked up, they want him in on a drip (they did give him fluids today) and will run blood tests.

I just have a very bad feeling about him :(. I am really praying I am wrong. Doesn't help that hubby is moaning his head off about it all and we were due to go out for the day tomorrow for my daughter's birthday, and it looks like we will be cancelling that.

Thank you. I am hoping that the lethargic way he is just now is from the painkiller. The vet seemed to think so when I phoned them.

Floppy is getting syringe fed because he will not eat anything by himself. Is there an amount that he should be taking? He weighs 1.5 kg. He has just had 4 ml of critical care. Does this sound enough, and how often should he get it? Does he need fed all night?

The good news is that he had a drink by himself after his feed :D

OK thanks. I was thinking of every 2 hours. Will increase the amount. I didn't want to pack his tummy too much the first feed.

Should he be fed throughout the night, or just until late tonight and start again early tomorrow?

OK thanks. I was thinking of every 2 hours. Will increase the amount. I didn't want to pack his tummy too much the first feed.

Should he be fed throughout the night, or just until late tonight and start again early tomorrow?

See how he goes this evening. If he becomes bloated then continuing to syringe feed will do more harm than good. Try and do a couple of feeds over the next 4 hours and see what happens.

Do you have any Gripe Water or Infacol ? If so I'd give him a couple of mls after each feed.

I don't have any, but could probably get some. He was given BIRP solution at the vet though. Is this the same sort of thing?

Thank you so much for all the advice. Right now he is a very poorly bun although he is looking a bit brighter after his little feed.

Back