• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Picking Up Issues!

Wizzy Lizzy

Warren Scout
Lorenzo hates being picked up! He doesn't bite or anything but if he thinks I am going to pick him up he hides in his bedroom and wriggles and does all he can to avoid it!

Trouble is that I have to somehow transport him from his night time hutch to his daytime run and hutch set-up! I have tried getting him used to going into his carry crate (which he isn't bad at in the evening when I put him back in his night time hutch) but in the morning he refuses!

This morning I ended up blocking off his bedroom and cornering him! The vet taught me how to pick him up properly but I think he is a bit scared at the vet and doesn't wriggle or try to avoid it! The only way I can pick him up is to (gently) take a hold of his scruff of his neck, put my hand under his bottom for support (and to take all of the weight), bring him into my chest and cuddle him. Once picked up he is usually ok for a few seconds before he starts wriggling again. I try to hold him as gently but as securely as possible so that he doesn't hurt himself.

I don't know if I am doing it wrong and am causing more issues than I am solving! I visited a friend that also has rabbits and she let me practice on hers - the difference is that they sit still and let you pick them up! It is impossible to put it into practice for Lozzie

This morning as soon as he got in his run he thumped a foot at me! (although he was happily binkying around and eating his food and playing with his tunnels and toys immediately after!)

I have to be able to pick him up (if he won't go into his carry crate). Also in the spring/summer I want to give him the run of the garden and let him in the kitchen but I don't want to do this until I am confident he can be picked up just in case he gets himself into trouble.

He loves tickles and strokes and will lie there for hours being petted. He is as friendly as anything, it is just this one picking up issue that makes things a bit stressful!

Any advice?!

I am getting another bun in a few weeks (he is being neutered on Monday) - I'm hoping that may calm him down a bit!

Mine hate being picked up - so I dont bother anymore. Lucy jumps into her litter tray so I carry her in that - Lola will go anywhere for a pellet!

Jimby is EXACTLY the same, I do find it upsetting as I would love nothing more than to be able to give him a really big cuddle and hope that one day we will get there but if it is just stressing him out it may be best to avoid.
A lot of buns HATE being picked up, it all stems from their back ground in the wild, the only time they would be picked up in the wild is when they have been caught by a preditor to be eaten, so they are scared to be picked up as they are wired to believe that being picked up= being eaten.
I can not remember where I saw it now, I think it may have been on here actually but it is advised to pick up in stages, like get bun comfy and snuggle on the floor then gently lift front paws only then put back down, continue this for a week or so until they are comfy with it then start by just putting a hand under the rump and still just lift the front paws, again until they are comfy with this then start lifting the backside up slightly as well, then put back down and just continue until you are eventually able to pick up.
Jimby and I have got to the stage of lifting front paws and just having the hand under the rump any more and he feaks out. :cry:

Last edited:
Neither of my pair will be picked up, we tried for 6 month after adopting them and had no joy, lunges and pure scaredness has put me off totally, they are lovely bunnies just not when they know you want to pick them up. Now I just shoo them into the bedroom bit then poke them into the carrier.

Our newbie Walter is a joy, actually think he likes being picked up. Cant wait till bonding time and ive to get my pair to neutral ground somehow, its going to be fun honestly !!!

Funny you should mention that (getting them to neutral ground for the bonding!) as I was thinking the same! I think that I may just have to put a load of his favourite treats in the carrier so that he can't resist!

I would love to be able to give Lorenzo a cuddle but I don't mind that he doesn't like being picked up - he is so friendly and affectionate in all other ways. It's just when I need to do practical things like move him (or even in the spring/summer check for fly strike etc) and do basic health checks it is going to be really hard. One of the things I worry about is missing a problem because I can only see half of him!

Like Rachel describes you need to start right back at basics, at the moment he panics before you even get to the picking up so start by stroking the areas you'd need to put your hand on to pick up so under the chest and the bum. Just make it part of your normal making a fuss of his routine. When you can do that without him batting an eyelid then you can start taking a bit of his weight and gradually lifting him.

In the meantime avoid lifting him and try to get him into a routine with the carrier. Try thinking consciously about how you approach him. I bet you do things totally differently when you go to fetch him that when you go for a fuss. He knows you're about to do something he doesn't like and starts play up. You need to switch things about to break the pattern.

Have the carrier in the room all the time not just when he's going to go in it. Put a treat in the carrier each time you go in. Give him a second treat when he's gone in. You'll soon train him to go in in anticipation of getting a treat.

When you go in the room to get him start by having a 5 minute normal time - stroking or whatever you usually do. Then put something tasty in the carrier and let him walk in.

Rachel, it sounds like you are making good progress. If you can lift the front end and get a hand under the back that's certainly a good start :) The rest will come gradually.

You can also try lifting the backend without doing the front bit - literally just take his weight to start with don't lift him off the ground. You can make it a stroke, so along his back all the way down his bum, then lift very slightly (give his bum a sqeeze :lol: ) and stroke again. You might find because you don't have your hand at the front too he doesn't associate it with being picked up.

Back