• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outraged, upset......

Please dont take offence, but it sounds like you have some unresolved resentment towards Winter for biting you. I know its horrible and shocking and unprovoked, and i can totally shake your confidence being with them and handling them, and whether or not they love you. But animals have weird reasons that we dont understand for acting the way they do, the dont reason it out they just respond to whatever happens at the time. And likewise they dont remember that they hurt or upset you. So as hard as it is, in terms of how you feel about her, try to pretend it never happened. If you're confident and loving towards her, she'll respond positively too.

I agree...I still have scars from when I first got Poppy but she is such a sweetheart now, she was just scared...

Please dont take offence, but it sounds like you have some unresolved resentment towards Winter for biting you. I know its horrible and shocking and unprovoked, and i can totally shake your confidence being with them and handling them, and whether or not they love you. But animals have weird reasons that we dont understand for acting the way they do, the dont reason it out they just respond to whatever happens at the time. And likewise they dont remember that they hurt or upset you. So as hard as it is, in terms of how you feel about her, try to pretend it never happened. If you're confident and loving towards her, she'll respond positively too.

This is good advice. I've been bitten by various animals - various reasons - I had some extremely territorial ratties who would bite me if I went *near* their cage (I sometimes forgot or accidentally put my hand on the cage when cleaning and they were there with their teeth!) a degu bit me when she was poorly and Jack nipped me once when I picked him up. He nipped my toe for attention once too! Lots of other animals have bitten me at different times.

I admit to feeling angry and hurt every time I've been bitten..... it's a natural reaction. I was really upset! I have several scars on my hands too - the worst bite was from my degu but she was scared and not with it and bless her she died not long afterwards. (I had taken her out because she was acting so strange and whilst settling in her in a seperate cage she bit me *hard*!)

But when I calmed down I realised that they were acting on instinct. Instincts I didn't understand but they didn't do it out of malice towards me nor did it change the fact that they were fine with me afterwards. Even the territorial ratties were soft as anything outside the cage and would snuggle up lol! So if she's back to her old self you need to try and re-establish your bond with her somehow. No doubt she will have forgotten all about it already, that's the reality of it.

I'm glad they're back together and keep an eye on your hand - my degu-bite got infected despite me keeping it clean etc. (( hugs )) for you xx

I've been bitten by mine before. I have a scar to prove it. Thing is, when they get it in their minds to fight they will bite anything, even if its not the thing they're intending to bite. So please don't feel she's done it to you personally, you were just 'in the way' so to speak.

Well, me no likey!!! All the kids today were asking me about it and I didnt want my buns to sound horrid so I said I caught it on something. :roll::roll:

Maybe it would have been a good thing to let the children know that bunnies are sometimes not the cute animals we see them as? Although I doubt anyone selling bunnies would be happy if it affected their sales :lol:

I hope that whatever issues Winter had, has been resolved now and I hope your wound heals up quickly. Poor you and Rimmi :(

When we had Bruce and Flower, Mr Funny Bunny would go up to them and wind them up so that they started fighting with each other. It got to the point where we couldn't let him out for long. Since Bruce has gone though, Flower is more tolerant of them, to the point that we're hoping we can bond one of the nethies with her.

Ghostie decided to bite me the other day!
She decided to chase everyone at dinner time so I took her out for a cuddle while the others could get a grab to eat, and she obviously knew and threw herself at me! I thought it was funny.... she's a little sod and she's not affraid to tell me if I've been naughty :roll:
Winter has bitten me. She was freeranging in my room and I was hand feeding her her pellets. She got way too overexcited and accidently bit me quite hard (she has sharp teefies, I sympathise with you, it hurt!).
Maybe something happened when you were out, a noise or something? Funny to have her react like that, but there's no need to over react and say she hates you and for you to be fuming at her.
She's only a little bunny, and it's obvious she loves you.

gosh, i didn't see this at the time. this is exactly how tabitha used to behave. she bit, and when she bit, she meant it! that's why i didn't let her near my face or neck - if she'd hit an artery i'd have been done for!

she grew out of it. she had got over it by eighteen months, and she wasn't speyed until 2 1/2, so it wasn't that. i trust her enough to let her sit under my chin and to rub noses now, but that hasn't been for long. :)

Rabbits have sharp teeth and can bite / nip if the mood takes them. I've been bitten by Angel in the past and Petal has nipped me a few times. It comes with the territory of pet ownership I'm afraid.

Please don't call them horrid little things. Winter doesn't even know she's done wrong. You need to remember that they are animals and don't think or understand things the way we do.

I hope things are back on an even keel :)

Winter has bitten me. She was freeranging in my room and I was hand feeding her her pellets. She got way too overexcited and accidently bit me quite hard (she has sharp teefies, I sympathise with you, it hurt!).

Nutmeg does this, she doesn't mean to bite but she doesn't always realise that my finger is NOT edible.

Our little newbie, April, or Natasha-nasher as she's affectionately called :lol:, has real problems with growling, lunging and biting real hard; I can tell you, this little girl means business when she runs towards you at full pelt with her mouth wide open. But I don't think any less of her for it, I'm just more careful not to forget to wear my thick gloves!

I'm sure Winter will settle down eventually :)

I have been bitten a few times by my lot. Most of the time its gentle nips to say "tea time".

Snowdrop bit my ankle a few weeks ago- she was under the bed and I got up to get ready for work and I must have startled her as she just flew at me and bit me really hard. She has never done it since and although she is quite territoral she has never gone for people. Other bunnies she will attack within seconds of being next too!

Strawberry has never purposely bitten me. Sometimes he gets overly bossy and will nip or chase me but he doesnt attack. He bit Denise really hard when we were trying to bond him with Snow but it was because he was fighting and we both put our hands in to pull them apart and Strawbs got hold of Denise.

Bungle grunts and lunges when I am cleaning him out but he has never bitten.

I know how hard it is not to be scared of them. I pick all my up for cuddles but I am always wary of them sniffing at me incase they bite!

Back