• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our short-term foster bunnies

I’m always keen! Are you doing the bond? X
I'm not 100% yet. Usual lady can't do it, but has given me a vet nurse nearby that can, who seems really great.. But I don't like the set up [emoji51] so now I'm not sure again! I keep thinking maybe I could try but then I think about it with Evelyn and I'm just like I can't supervise enough I don't think! [emoji58] x

I'm not 100% yet. Usual lady can't do it, but has given me a vet nurse nearby that can, who seems really great.. But I don't like the set up [emoji51] so now I'm not sure again! I keep thinking maybe I could try but then I think about it with Evelyn and I'm just like I can't supervise enough I don't think! [emoji58] x

Could you get Michael to take on Evelyn duties for a day & try them together? They might be a dreamy bond requiring little supervision. Then think of a plan B if they look like they'll be hard work

Could you get Michael to take on Evelyn duties for a day & try them together? They might be a dreamy bond requiring little supervision. Then think of a plan B if they look like they'll be hard work
Yea maybe, he'd have to take a day off though which I doubt he'd want to do tbh. Also it's not gunna just be one day [emoji38] also what if it goes wrong because Idk what I'm doing! And then I ruin chances for a future bond!

I am really tempted to give it a try in a week though tbh. Idk!

I was just wondering why you were concerned about the vet nurse’s set up? Is it too small/ big?

I’d give the bond a go, although I don’t have a young daughter! You’d get lots of support from people here. Would you potentially do a very slow bond? Or a quick style bond?!

I was just wondering why you were concerned about the vet nurse’s set up? Is it too small/ big?

I’d give the bond a go, although I don’t have a young daughter! You’d get lots of support from people here. Would you potentially do a very slow bond? Or a quick style bond?!

Oh no not that. I'll explain the situation and then you can tell me what your thoughts are!

So originally she said she'd have them anywhere from a couple days to a week (that seemed normal to me)

She wanted me to drop them off at the vets she works at.. And she'd start the bond at the vets - my reservations for this are one, I then don't know where she lives/will be taking them - and Idk her personally! Also starting it at the vets which they'll probably find stressful anyway... She'd then be taking them home..

Which leads me onto what I asked next which was what do you do with them when you go to work? She'd take them with her everyday.. Idk in a weird way it might strengthen the bond because they'd be stressed.. But I don't really agree with that approach..

Anyway now she's said she's busy and can only have them Saturday morning to Monday morning, still wants me to drop them at the vets though..

I'm probably being a bit ott but it doesn't sit right with me and I don't want either of the buns anymore stressed than they need to be (obviously bonding will be a bit stressful for them, I'm sure) and I didn't like the constant change of location.. I mean Willoughby has moved quite a few times now in a short amount of time, it just seems a lot!

I have no idea how I'd do it! I guess I'd put them in a neutralised dog crate and have gardening gloves on hand.. Other than that I'm clueless!

I wouldn't like dropping them at the vets either & I don't know how anyone could have that kind of job & be on hand to witness any upset. I'd get it with someone working from home. I think this is where confidence comes in. This approach will prob work cos the bunnies will be like WTF & she'll be confident they'll bond fine so not give off any threat vibes.

I'm one to ignore when it comes to bonding for definite. My approach would be to pop them in sectioned off bit of garden if possible - garden hose at the ready

Oh no not that. I'll explain the situation and then you can tell me what your thoughts are!

So originally she said she'd have them anywhere from a couple days to a week (that seemed normal to me)

She wanted me to drop them off at the vets she works at.. And she'd start the bond at the vets - my reservations for this are one, I then don't know where she lives/will be taking them - and Idk her personally! Also starting it at the vets which they'll probably find stressful anyway... She'd then be taking them home..

Which leads me onto what I asked next which was what do you do with them when you go to work? She'd take them with her everyday.. Idk in a weird way it might strengthen the bond because they'd be stressed.. But I don't really agree with that approach..

Anyway now she's said she's busy and can only have them Saturday morning to Monday morning, still wants me to drop them at the vets though..

I'm probably being a bit ott but it doesn't sit right with me and I don't want either of the buns anymore stressed than they need to be (obviously bonding will be a bit stressful for them, I'm sure) and I didn't like the constant change of location.. I mean Willoughby has moved quite a few times now in a short amount of time, it just seems a lot!

I have no idea how I'd do it! I guess I'd put them in a neutralised dog crate and have gardening gloves on hand.. Other than that I'm clueless!

I would not be happy with this approach :(

She can't do her job and supervise the bunnies. Plus, it seems from what you've said, that she would not view them as her main focus of attention and responsibility. Just something to be fitted in around her normal life. Might sound unfair, but I would certainly not go along with this.

I wouldn't like dropping them at the vets either & I don't know how anyone could have that kind of job & be on hand to witness any upset. I'd get it with someone working from home. I think this is where confidence comes in. This approach will prob work cos the bunnies will be like WTF & she'll be confident they'll bond fine so not give off any threat vibes.

I'm one to ignore when it comes to bonding for definite. My approach would be to pop them in sectioned off bit of garden if possible - garden hose at the ready
I would not be happy with this approach :(

She can't do her job and supervise the bunnies. Plus, it seems from what you've said, that she would not view them as her main focus of attention and responsibility. Just something to be fitted in around her normal life. Might sound unfair, but I would certainly not go along with this.
Thanks both, yep I feel exactly the same!

I'm sure she knows what she's doing but I just don't like it tbh

Thanks both, yep I feel exactly the same!

I'm sure she knows what she's doing but I just don't like it tbh

I agree! I have bonded using a dog crate before and luckily it went fine, but subsequently I used puppy pens and used them, I feel like you have better access to bunnies with that method, and can change the pen size easily. Although I had to pin a sheet over the top because they were looking for an escape route even though they were 4ft high panels!

Nah, I'm not keen on that approach either, too much travelling/uncertainty and lack of direct supervision. I mean, I've been super light on supervision with mine but I've known they've not needed it if that makes sense.

If you're still stuck I can come and do it at my parents' 30th July onwards... He should be 'over' his neuter minimum 3wks in and that'll be the 3wk mark, so if you wanna leave it longer (6wks is the normal max. time needed) I can pop down later in August :) I should be able to hang around Essex for a week at least. I'm busy 6-8th and from 27thish but that's all that I can't do remotely!

Just seen this, I feel the same. I’m unsure why she needs to change the environment so often. Bunnies are always super stressed during a bond, so I don’t get why she would want to add more stress by taking them to the vets! They also need to be supervised at all times.

I wonder how many bunnies she’s successfully bonded through this method…..

Just seen this, I feel the same. I’m unsure why she needs to change the environment so often. Bunnies are always super stressed during a bond, so I don’t get why she would want to add more stress by taking them to the vets! They also need to be supervised at all times.

I wonder how many bunnies she’s successfully bonded through this method…..
I don't think it's what she wants to do, but she has to work so it's all she can fit in. She's really lovely though, I explained my reservations about it and she's suggested some alternatives a way off in the future and messaged a rescue for me to see if they can bond. I think she's just really busy and was trying to fit it in! I don't think this was her first choice of the perfect bonding set up iykwim.

Nah, I'm not keen on that approach either, too much travelling/uncertainty and lack of direct supervision. I mean, I've been super light on supervision with mine but I've known they've not needed it if that makes sense.

If you're still stuck I can come and do it at my parents' 30th July onwards... He should be 'over' his neuter minimum 3wks in and that'll be the 3wk mark, so if you wanna leave it longer (6wks is the normal max. time needed) I can pop down later in August :) I should be able to hang around Essex for a week at least. I'm busy 6-8th and from 27thish but that's all that I can't do remotely!

I'll let you know thanks! :) I've spoken to the original bonding lady again and she suggested the 31st so I'll see if she comes back to me etc. One way or another I'm gunna try get these two together in the next few weeks! [emoji38]

Back