• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our short-term foster bunnies

Yeah, you know how cats are cute etc. but have concealed knives? It's all death stares and hyperactivity with nethies but the most adorable kind...

ETA although Buttons literally just after I posted that gave me a big shock by getting his head stuck in the hanging hay rack. He's got massively overexcited becasue I gave him a bit of food (a mint leaf) and I opened the top of the run to fill his hayrack (not that I had hay at ths point) and he poked his head right up through the hanging basket, so I moved away o discourage him (but encourage him the right way if that makes sense?) and told him he'd get his head stuck and then the dreadful scene unfolded in slowmotion. He's fine :thumb: I can't move the hayrack any higher or it'll be totally out of reach, there's nowhere else to put it and nowhere else to put hay :roll: It's because it's at an awkward angle. Plus he's been fine just eating out of it without poking his head in so far. Just need to make sure he doesn't get overexcited :roll:
Omg [emoji51] I hope he's okay!

They should be easier to handle, and many are sweethearts, yet a resistant neathie can squirm and there is not much to grab onto: plus I don't hold mine as firmly as my other bunnies because he is so small.

Graciee,
I never had a bunny over 3kg, and the only one who came close was an obese mini rex cross who eventually 2kg.
My tiniest bunnies were Evan and Dash who weighed less than a kg each.

Blimey they're some small buns! Atticus weighs just less than 2.5kg atm but he's quite underweight :( my smallest bun was Fleur, she was a mini rex but a little bigger than the top end for that breed. She was very special though, I don't think I'll ever find another bun like her!

:lol:

it is an excellent description but dw, it is the cutest possible concentrated energy :)

In USA the national nd club refers to nethies as The gem of the fancy.
Years ago the national nd club had a show that had hundreds of nd bunnies, and while I do not share the philosophy of juging bunnies based on standards of perfection, they were so cute and most were trained to pose so well-behaved too. I left with cuteness overload and had a hoppy dream that night.

Blimey they're some small buns! Atticus weighs just less than 2.5kg atm but he's quite underweight :( my smallest bun was Fleur, she was a mini rex but a little bigger than the top end for that breed. She was very special though, I don't think I'll ever find another bun like her!

Evan and Dash had same gi issue as atticus. Dash was 0.75 kg and Even less than 0.7kg. Evan was shorter and felt fuller,though I laughed when vet said he was getting fat around his ribs. Dash was always thin/sleek and could not gain weight thought he ate lots more than my other bunnies.
My current nd , Raven is 1.1kg
Fleur sounds lovely. Heidi is pure mini rex and gets overweight easily and we give in to her begging to often

Our first mini rex Black Velvet got very overweight and it was hard to manage her weight because she was never an active bunny.

Last edited:
Evan and Dash had same gi issue as atticus. Dash was 0.75 kg and Even less than 0.7kg. Evan was shorter and felt fuller,though I laughed when vet said he was getting fat around his ribs. Dash was always thin/sleek and could not gain weight thought he ate lots more than my other bunnies.
My current nd , Raven is 1.1kg
Fleur sounds lovely. Heidi is pure mini rex and gets overweight easily and we give in to her begging to often

Our first mini rex Black Velvet got very overweight and it was hard to manage her weight because she was never an active bunny.

Fleur was amazing, she was not like a bunny at all, she was extremely attached to me and Michael. She'd jump onto your lap a lay down and demand strokes and just constantly wanted to be near people. She was very special, we've both never really got over losing her tbh. I love all my buns so much but with Fleur it was completely different.

That's interesting what you said.. Atticus eats so so so much.. But can't gain :( I really need to figure it out, I'm thinking about giving him pellets again even though it'll upset him, not the best timing though with summer [emoji51]

Michael sent me this, Buttons is so cute [emoji38] looks like he's a bit sassy too [emoji38]
5f26d10d9e14a5c7215e335d19286e03.jpg

I haven't bothered him, just trying to leave him to it and to chill out in the hutch, so no pictures.. But christ he's tiny! Like I don't think the velvets as babies were that small! [emoji38] He's seriously tiny! I've no idea what I'd think if I saw a pure nethie [emoji38]

Buttons is adorable. Sending you all lots of vibes.

While I love all my bunnies, the personality of a couple were extraordinary. May buttons be in that group.

Awesome :D He's such a fun little guy. Matt was really impressed with him taking the willow out of the carrier when we were trying to tempt him in: it's definitely something I remember Aboleth doing :lol: Not so daft :D

Good luck! :D

Tiny sploot [emoji7]

Sorry for rubbish picture I'm really trying to not go near him at all unless I have to for feeding and water changes, so I check on him from a distance and zoom in [emoji38][emoji38]
59e8119ed9e233a14e9f85cc808a3a35.jpg

Back