• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our new disabled boy has arrived/ Been to the vets

our new disabled boy has arrives

I wonder if it,s possible if your little boy could have the same problem as my kitten:?she has Hip Dysplasia and this seems similar to the sypmtoms that your bun has:cry:hetty pulls herself along by her front legs and although her right leg has gained some movement and she can now stand on this :)her left leg still drags behind her:cry:
Luckily my vet will be able to operate on her when she is a year old so she will be restored to full health:)
The symptoms described here seem identical to hers so it might be worth checking tht out with your vet:)

I wonder if it,s possible if your little boy could have the same problem as my kitten:?she has Hip Dysplasia and this seems similar to the sypmtoms that your bun has:cry:hetty pulls herself along by her front legs and although her right leg has gained some movement and she can now stand on this :)her left leg still drags behind her:cry:
Luckily my vet will be able to operate on her when she is a year old so she will be restored to full health:)
The symptoms described here seem identical to hers so it might be worth checking tht out with your vet:)

Thanks, he is seeing the vet on Friday for a full check up :)

Previous x-rays have shown a congenital thickening to his femur and I can feel the boney lumps on it. But I am not sure that this is the reason he is bent and walks side ways. I guess his thickened leg could be pushing his whole body out of shape :?

Gideon has just had his vet check.

The thickening of the femur only affects one leg but he also has nerve damage to his spine which is making his mobility problems worse and his left leg drag on occassions :(

He is now on daily pain relief and has also had his VHD :)

Gideon has just had his vet check.

The thickening of the femur only affects one leg but he also has nerve damage to his spine which is making his mobility problems worse and his left leg drag on occassions :(

He is now on daily pain relief and has also had his VHD :)

So is there nowt else to be done but control the pain? Poor little lad. Will he still be able to have a lady friend? x

So is there nowt else to be done but control the pain? Poor little lad. Will he still be able to have a lady friend? x

No we can't do anything else for him as he was born with the bones in his leg deformed:cry:

He has a potential girly friend coming on Sunday. He has a lot of bite wounds on him at the moment so i don't think previous bonding attempts have gone well. I just hope that this time it will work out for him :)

ETA Forgot to say that he also has hyperelasticity in his hip joints

Last edited:
Thank you he is a very special boy. He is gradually gaining confidence and can hear a blade of grass being picked at 100 yards :lol:

Poor bunny, i dont mean this to sound horribble or anything but is it really fair to keep him alive if he will be in pain without having drugs to conrol it? :(

Poor bunny, i dont mean this to sound horribble or anything but is it really fair to keep him alive if he will be in pain without having drugs to conrol it? :(

I understand what you are saying but he is able to have high pain relief without any side effects so hopefully he will have a high quality of life for some time yet :)

If we put all our buns to sleep who had to have pain relief on a regular basis we wouldn't have many left. For example in my opinion Freddy has more problems than Gideon, his deformities have become much more extreme over the year we have had him but he is on a very high level of pain relief and has been for the past year with no problems.

Obviously we never want any of our bunnies to suffer in any way. every bunny is checked and watched carefully every day to make sure they have a good quality of life and are happy in themselves. we know them so well we would know when the time has come to let them go. Our view is that we always let them go with dignity before they start to suffer as many of them have suffered far too much before they find their way to us, so rest assured if we thought Gideon wasn't able to enjoy life he would find his way peacefully to the bridge. As it is he is a cheeky little fellow who is growing in confidence everyday :love:

If you are ever passing our way you are more than welcome to call in and see how happy our disabled bunnies are:)

Hopefully we will be getting some more dvd's for our camcorder soon and will be able to film some happy buns for you

Aw thats nice, I wasnt critsizing you in anyway its just I was thinking about all the drugs would mount up and cause ill effects at some point. I'm glad they are happy :)

I understand what you are saying but he is able to have high pain relief without any side effects so hopefully he will have a high quality of life for some time yet :)

If we put all our buns to sleep who had to have pain relief on a regular basis we wouldn't have many left. For example in my opinion Freddy has more problems than Gideon, his deformities have become much more extreme over the year we have had him but he is on a very high level of pain relief and has been for the past year with no problems.

Obviously we never want any of our bunnies to suffer in any way. every bunny is checked and watched carefully every day to make sure they have a good quality of life and are happy in themselves. we know them so well we would know when the time has come to let them go. Our view is that we always let them go with dignity before they start to suffer as many of them have suffered far too much before they find their way to us, so rest assured if we thought Gideon wasn't able to enjoy life he would find his way peacefully to the bridge. As it is he is a cheeky little fellow who is growing in confidence everyday :love:

If you are ever passing our way you are more than welcome to call in and see how happy our disabled bunnies are:)

Hopefully we will be getting some more dvd's for our camcorder soon and will be able to film some happy buns for you

I think there are 2 types of pain, the type you can deal with, how many people have arthritis and with pain killers cope well. If it is something acute, like a painful, terminal tumour, then there will come a time when it is fairer to PTS, but only at a cerain point, until then there is nothing wrong with pain control.:)
Hope the op goes well.

I think there are 2 types of pain, the type you can deal with, how many people have arthritis and with pain killers cope well. If it is something acute, like a painful, terminal tumour, then there will come a time when it is fairer to PTS, but only at a cerain point, until then there is nothing wrong with pain control.:)
Hope the op goes well.

Yeah thats what I meant, I just havent read the entire thread :)

Aw thats nice, I wasnt critsizing you in anyway its just I was thinking about all the drugs would mount up and cause ill effects at some point. I'm glad they are happy :)

It's fine it is valid point.

Some people get really hung up on side effects with meds but in our opinion a lot of our buns would be dead without the medication they are on at the moment so there is no point worrying about the future. Our bunnies live for the day as many of there conditions are life limiting, we will only worry about side effects if they happen.

eg Eddie is on 3 antibiotics daily for the rest of his life as well as pain relief. There is a very high chance the meds will cause him problems in the end but if he wasn't taking them there is no question about it he would have been dead in January. At the moment you wouldn't know there is anything wrong with him, so for him every day is a bonus.

Our sanctuary is all about quality of life not necessarily quantity :wave:

It's fine it is valid point.

Some people get really hung up on side effects with meds but in our opinion a lot of our buns would be dead without the medication they are on at the moment so there is no point worrying about the future. Our bunnies live for the day as many of there conditions are life limiting, we will only worry about side effects if they happen.

eg Eddie is on 3 antibiotics daily for the rest of his life as well as pain relief. There is a very high chance the meds will cause him problems in the end but if he wasn't taking them there is no question about it he would have been dead in January. At the moment you wouldn't know there is anything wrong with him, so for him every day is a bonus.

Our sanctuary is all about quality of life not necessarily quantity :wave:

In many cases the same goes for us.:) That is maybe why I seem a bit quick to try new treatments, but in many of our cases, it can be try something new or PTS there and then.

Last edited:
Back