• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Otto isn't doing so well / We lost him/ PM results post 99, completely heartbreaking

You'll have to explain that sometimes Santa sends presents early to very special bunnies! I need to get a few more things and I'll send them off :D Give brave little Otto a nose rub from me!

You'll have to explain that sometimes Santa sends presents early to very special bunnies! I need to get a few more things and I'll send them off :D Give brave little Otto a nose rub from me!

Thank you :D Otto is staying at the vets tonight so i will pass on the nose rubs in the morning

Awww how very upsetting for you. I have no experience at all with incontinence but, havent they developed some sort of 'nappy' or talc that could be applied to dry him out? Sending lots of vibes for the poor little fella x

Awww how very upsetting for you. I have no experience at all with incontinence but, havent they developed some sort of 'nappy' or talc that could be applied to dry him out? Sending lots of vibes for the poor little fella x

we have used nappies in the past on bunnies but I don't think it would help this time. We would need to change it every 10 minutes including through the night, plus he is not a very co-operative bun and would probably pull it straight off :(

I think the fact that he has both problems with his bladder and kidneys is what is making it so difficult :( Even if we do something so his skin can heal if we haven't sorted the problem it will come back straight away :(

There is also the problem of weight loss, plus we still think there could be a problem with his lungs but it is impossible to tell for sure because of the way his ribs have healed.:( And now he is a dental bunny too.....

Trust me we will not give up easily, but we are at a loss as to how to keep him comfortable. We have got and have had so many incontinent bunnies, but this is the worse I have ever seen :( I said to the vet that even with me spending an hour everyday trying to keep him dry and clean that he still looks in a worse state than some of the buns we have rescued :( She agreed that it is the worse case she has ever seen and that it will be impossible to keep him comfortable long term. I have known the vet a long time and there is no way she would suggest pts easily. In fact I think it is the first time she has ever told us a bunny should be pts, she normally leaves those decisions to us as she knows how well we know our buns :?

:( That does sound pretty serious then. If he cant be kept comfortable at all and the problem is persistent and chronic then it doesnt look like you have any options (except spontaneous recovery). As you have such a good relationship with your vet, if she has suggested pts then she must really have run out of options and suggestions too.

Poor Otto (and Onslow). I dont ever envy you the decisions you have to make, it seems on a weekly basis at the moment. But i know you care about them more than anything else, and sometimes the best thing is the end.

At least he had a good time living with you for a while and got to experience what life should really be like! Thats worth more than anything i think, that every bun gets a chance.

:( That does sound pretty serious then. If he cant be kept comfortable at all and the problem is persistent and chronic then it doesnt look like you have any options (except spontaneous recovery). As you have such a good relationship with your vet, if she has suggested pts then she must really have run out of options and suggestions too.

Poor Otto (and Onslow). I dont ever envy you the decisions you have to make, it seems on a weekly basis at the moment. But i know you care about them more than anything else, and sometimes the best thing is the end.

At least he had a good time living with you for a while and got to experience what life should really be like! Thats worth more than anything i think, that every bun gets a chance.

I am praying for a miracle at the moment. He went several weeks being completely dry before this so I am hoping that could happen again :?

Im so sorry to hear about Otto, He is a lovely looking boy.

I am new on here and just had a read hope you dont mind me saying anything.

My fingers are crossed for him.

Oh gosh, sorry to hear that the news wasn't good, Liz :( I know that Otto will have the best quality of life possible in all the time he has left, however long that will be. Here's hoping for a miracle for the little chap xxx

I'm so sorry the news wasn't good for poor Otto Liz :cry: Thinking of you all & praying for a miracle for your brave boy xxx

Im so sorry to hear about Otto, He is a lovely looking boy.

I am new on here and just had a read hope you dont mind me saying anything.

My fingers are crossed for him.

Of course I don't mind. I am very grateful for yours and everyone elses comments :wave:

Here is there original thread when they were rescued by RSPCA Walsall, they were called Smokey and Flopsy before they came to our sanctuary http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=183285&highlight=smokey+flopsy

Otto is home now. The vet nurses said they had done their best to keep him clean, but he looks a lot worse than when he went in :( In a way that makes me feel a little better becuase it least it means it isn't just me who is struggling, he really is that bad.

I have asked again about propalin as don't feel we have anything to loose at this point. I am waiting for the vet to ring when she finished surgery as she also has Timmys urine lab results too :?

Poor little thing, I have everything crossed that he miraculously has another dry spell! Lots of vibes for the gorgeous little fellow x

Back