• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

OMG! I FOUND SOME SURPRISES! ..update 11.2

:( I'm getting a bit worried about the others too....there isn't anywhere near as much movement in the nest tonite :shock: I really hope that she hasn't hurt them because I had a peek today :(

I promise to get more pics as soon as I can but didn't want to disturb them too much today.

I don't think there's really a lot you can do when they are that age, it's really all up to the mum. She's only a youngster herself and this is her first litter - so sad as it is, I don't think that losing one or more is particularly unusual in this sort of instance. So don't blame yourself for doing something wrong, from what I've read, most first litters aren't entirely successful :cry:

That she's not harmed them so far is a good sign. It's not unusual to loose one. She must be feeding them or you'd have lost them all.

You might just have caught them at a sleepy moment :) Just got to be patient, in about two weeks they should look like baby rabbits and be much more active.

There isn't anything you can do to help really, as Alison says problems are more likely a result of young mum/first litter than anything you can influence.

Tam

Good luck with the babies! You're not doing anything wrong, it's up to mum to look after them for the moment. It must be a bit of a shock for her, bless her.

awww

you sound like you are doing a fantastic job. It must be on your mind all the time, mom sounds like shes doing well aswell

good luck

:cry: :cry: We're now down to 2 ....

I don't know if I will be able to give them away if these two survive so I might have to start saving to get a new hutch!
Pics on pictures section

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm so sorry, I really hope the others are OK. It must be such an upsetting and worrying time for you. I would be going out of my mind with worry about the other 2 and never be able to give them up. It's so very sad about the ones who didn't make it :cry: you can't blame your self, you have not done anything wrong. I have everything crossed for the 2 that are still with you xx

Awwwwww so sorry Sue :( It must be heart breaking for you to be down to 2 :( But like everyone has said, there isnt much you can do, I hope the little bunsters are ok xxxx

when daisy had her suprise litter pnly one survived. i never knew she was pregnant so i never gave her extra food. i dont think she had enough milk to feed the babies. this could be why one of them died. good luck with the others

Since she had the kits I have been giving her extra food so I don't think it's that. From what I've read it's not unsual to lose some if not all of a first litter :( The good thing is that the remaining two do look quite a bit bigger than the two who died so hopefully thats a good sign.

Back