• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Olly is eating fine today :o)

Haven't had chance to update until now, hectic evening!
The vet couldn't find anything obvious. His mouth wasn't sore looking, his ears seemed fine, he had gut sounds although not as many as there should be, but he hasn't been eating much so that's expected. He gave him a gut motility injection and I asked if he'd give s/c fluids, he said he really didn't think it necessary. He said it's very uncomfortable for the rabbit and if he needs fluids he would rather give them IV in the ear, if he's no better tomorrow. I wasn't happy with that as fluids haven't been a problem before :? I got the impression he wasn't very confident doing it. I insisted anyway, so grudgingly he obliged, but I've never seen it done this way before! Instead of just using a big syringe, he attached the fluid bag to a drip line with a needle, and dripped it under the skin :? Apparently he gave about 120ml which seems an awful lot in one go. I was really worried after, as Olly could barely walk or keep upright :? I think it was just a bit too much at once, as when we got home he improved a lot.
Olly had two big dandelion leaves when we got back, and he's been munching quite well since. He's had some hay, some greens, some plantain/clover mix. He does seem much better. I don't know what's caused his gut slowdown, but he's doing ok for now, thank goodness. I will have to see how he is in the morning. Thank you for all the vibes x

Olly is feeling a lot better now :D he's done lots of munching tonight, and even just had his bedtime crunchie :love: so I really don't think it's his teeth. It's still a possibility that he has what Honey had, as she also had these unexplained bouts of gut slowdown :( I suppose we'll just have to see how he goes. But at least he's perked up for now, and he's had a hop around the lounge too :love: I love my little Olly bun so much :love:

Sending ((((((((healing vibes)))))) for dear Olly, I am sorry he's been having poorly times of late. :(
Yeah I would think 120 mls is a big amount, however if he was really dehydrated he needed it. My vet always uses the bag technique and I had to learn to do it myself after Mimzy got headtilt. :shock: We only gave 50 mls a day though to be certain he got enough fluids as he was eating just greens and no hay.
I wonder if this is just a delayed reaction to his prior confinement? Perhaps even adjusting to Molly's presence finally? Glad to hear he's had a bomb about the room though, motion is everything for these wee ones. :)
For Mimzy, even one spur is enough to set him off his food. I know having a dental on a headtilt bunny is an extreme worry though, but Mimz came through his like a champ. Was this your usual vet who saw him or an ER vet? If not your usual maybe that's why he wasn't too certain about the sub q's?
Has all the fluid been absorbed now? I have to say seeing that bubble wobbling around on their backs and then falling down around their ankles always bugs the heck out of me. Fiver has really thin skin so his always wind up by his elbows within five minutes, poor bub. :(

Many prayers and vibes being sent that Olly continues to go from strength to strength. :) ((((Huge hugs)))))) for you too. xxxx

Olly has eaten everything we've given him today :D I'm so relieved. I still don't know why this happens every so often, it is so frustrating. But he is fine for now! :D

Olly has eaten everything we've given him today :D I'm so relieved. I still don't know why this happens every so often, it is so frustrating. But he is fine for now! :D

That's great news! Hope he recovers fully now! :thumb:

I think my Leo is experiencing something similar - recurring bouts of lack of appetite with no obvious explanation :( It's so frustrating and worrying!

Back