• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok fess up......where did your first bun come from?

1. Sassy - Local small pet shop run by kind old couple.
2. Lily - P@H, and I wasn't looking for a bunny, but she was injured in the 'bunny village' so I count her as a rescue.
3. Luna - First rescue from a rescue centre
4. Sora & Smudge - Rescue from the same centre

My first was Lola and was from one of the few fantastic garden centres! We knew nothing about rescue centres!

We went in just to look at the animals and came out after spending £375 on getting Lola, her dog cage, excel food (all rabbits in the shop were fed excel food), good hay, toys, bowls, litter tray, cat litter etc etc...

Was and still is a good garden centre.

They actually only let you get any animal from them if you either buy the cage (and they only sell big cages) or show the cage and sizes you have already and complete a full check list. Seen them turn away many many people!

They gave me voucher to have her neutred as well.

This is one garden centre i could not fault. The rabbits were in large, clean, single sexed enclosures and the only person authorised to sell the animals know everything about rabbits and gave us great advice!!

btw i am not saying to buy from garden centres more saying that there are some good ones out there.

My first bunny came from Petsmart... He only lived three days. Then my next bunny (which is Benji, that will be 11 years old in December) came from a pet shop in Wimbledon, where my next three came from as well!

7 years ago, I adopted my first rescue bunny from GBH in Kent and have only had rescue bunnies since then.

Vera

I was garden centre too.

Little Smirnoff had been returned twice due to aggression:roll:. He wasn't - even when I was knowledge-free - I knew that. He was grumpy:love:

My first bun was a rescue of sorts I guess! I was about 8 years old and had been pestering my Dad for months about a rabbit. Deciding that the hutches they sold in pet shops were overpriced, he set about building me one :) It was HUGE! Our bin man noticed that he was building a hutch, and asked if he wanted a rabbit. Turns out he "collected" unwanted animals, so I guess kind of ran an unofficial rescue. He had all sorts of animals in for re-homing, from horses to snakes and hamsters! :shock: She was a big white bunny with red eyes, and he'd found her thrown out with the rubbish :(:shock:

I was a bit disappointed, as I'd had visions of this cute fluffy baby bunny, and ended up with a large agressive doe, who used to bite me and chase me round the garden, nipping at my ankles! :lol: I spent the next 8 years trying to "tame" her and get her to sit on my lap and have cuddles - needless to say I got scratched and bitten LOTS! :lol::lol:

Looking back now, she was probably unspeyed (We had no idea back then about speying or neutering :oops::oops:), which would explain the aggression. She was with us for about 8 years before she died, and was grumpy till the day she died, bless her, but I loved her anyway :love::love:

I got my first rabbit Kyle when I was 14 from p@h he sadly passed away a few weeks ago. Now i'm going to buy a pair from a rescue place:) but I don't regret buying from p@h because if I didn't buy from there I would of never of known Kyle.

I got my first bunny Olympia (the day the Sydney Olympics started) from a lady who'd been given a female dutch rabbit which then went to have babies. She was a very special rabbit to me. She died 7 years later. I still miss her now :(
Helen xx

Back