• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok fess up......where did your first bun come from?

Casey 'escaped' from a neighbours garden. When I found the owner - she didn't want him back...thank god he found us.

OK fess up..where did your first bun come from?

Well i had twelve rabbits dumped on me by a friend:cry:so i reall got thron in the deep end:shock:
I knew nothing about bunnies and stupidly let them out together and before i knew it i had babies:shock::oops:lots of them:shock:
I had to buy a rabbit book and sit in my shed trying to sex them all:?at the time they had only just started to castrate bucks so i was up the vets non stop getting them neutered:D
Not a good way to get introduced to bunny keeping but i got the bug and have had them ever since:D

My Sisters Daughter had a Dutch doe and her neighbour also had a rabbit and they thought they would let the rabbits play together....yes you guessed it! the result 8 little kits in the weeks to follow and I had 2 of them which I named Sooty and Sweep that was 26 years ago and I have kept rabbits ever since with just a 2 year break. I love them :love::love::love:

Garden centre.... but she was awesome. She was 6 months old when I got her and hadnt been handled much so scratched me to hell! People at school thought I was self harming lol. After a few months, she was a lover... loved cuddles and helped me through a lot (my mum had just moved in with her new bf... he had 4 kids and my mum has 5... sadly he had one my age that bullied me at school :( ) So Tabby was awesome. Loved her to bits.

Only lost her in June.

RIP my baby xxxx

100_0685.jpg

My first 2-3 buns I don't know where they came from because I was a child.
When I was in my teens my dad brought home a bun that he found in a box dumped in the street. The bun after that was dumped on me with it's guinea pig friend by my aunt because her daughter was allergic to hay :roll: The rabbit died soon after, so after taking the guinea pig to the vets to be sexed I got 2 more pigs from a pet shop. The vet got the sex of the guinea pig wrong and I ended up with 10 pigs:shock:

Then about 3 years ago I went to a rescue and got Munchie, the best bunny ever. At the same time I also got 2 buns from the fee ads. Munchie died last year but Bully and Larmee are fab and I don't regret getting them from the free add.

My first childhood rabbit (thumper) was from an awful petshop who came to me with snuffles. He had an awful death and my mum looked for a reputable breeder for my next rabbit (biscute). The first place I looked for a rabbit when it was my choice was a rescue, hayden and dudley.

Mischa was my first - he came from a garden centre
Mini was my second - my friend convinced me to mate our bunnies :roll: I wouldn't do it now knowing what I do now. Mini is Mischa's daughter.
Nutmeg was a kinda rescue - she wasn't really getting the love and attention she deserves so I took her in
Smudge was bought for me from the same garden centre as Mischa - I wanted a rescue but in a way Smudge was in need of rescue having been in that garden centre for SO long with not many cuddles and not really being handled.

No more! No more I tell you! Four is my limit. If (I suppose when :cry:) the awful happens my next bunny WILL be a rescue. Mischa and Mini both had to be nursed through ill health for a period and giving that care to a poor helpless thing that desperately needs it is so rewarding.

Luckily for us our first bunny came as a pair or we wouldn't have known any different. They were 'free to a good home' in our local newsagent window. We were allowed to have them despite no knowledge at all. However, very shortly afterwards we found rescues and our second pair came from there.

Thanks be for the first pair, who we love dearly and are still with us. Old blind Barney Buckets and his wife Summer Pudding.:love: Without them we may never, ever, have found out that we loved bunnies.

Prince and Rudy were pet shop bunnies. Prince was in a tiny cage, no hay ,with apeace of orange.I fell in love as soon as i saw him,the day before i had told my mom i want a bun with eyeliner.With in a week i got Rudy for company, Lucky both turned out to be boys and the whole time I had them never had one fight.But Im not embaressed at least with me they got love atteion and spoiled we they had a whoel room for themselves.

Kasper is from a 4H breeder,Hes my show bun, but at least with me he has a happy life not cramped in a tiny cage.He gets hay veggies and new toys often and a ton of attenion.

I want to rescue my next bun though.

basically all my other aniamls cept my Cow and Rabbit were rescues though.

My rabbits come to me.
Lopsie was found by the side of a main road in Manchester. The woman who found him had a big doggie who wanted to play with him so he came to me and after 6 years I finally got my dream of owning a rabbit. I didn't believe my mum when she told me, even after she showed me the hay in the back of the car. I phoned everyone to tell them lol.

When my brother-in-law's rabbit, Hugs, got out of the garden when the fence blew off in the gales 2 years ago we put posters up all over the place. They found him growling at cars... but he was safe with the RSPCA and we got him back. However some woman phoned me and said seeing as I'd gone to so much trouble for Hugs I was obviously a caring owner and would I like another one because she was moving house and couldn't keep him. An eight month old lop, how could I resist. :p

I met her randomly at a party months later, she was drunk and let it slip that the reason she didn't want Grimlock was that the pet shop told her he was a baby and she didn't believe them. Lo and behold he grew because he was a baby and she didn't want him because he was too big. All the more bunny to cuddle I say. :love:

Sorry I write alot...

My family had a REW when I was born (pinky, how original! :lol:) then four pet shop bunnies as I grew up (starsky-dutch, tippy-havanna rex, snuffles-orange rex, truffles-otter rex). No idea if those are the correct terms for them... that's what the pet shop told us they were.... :?

My own first bunny was Joey who came from my sister's accidental pet shop litter.. of course they are two girls!!! :roll:

Then I got Skye from SSPCA and I found Leo on Rabbit Rehome. :D

my rescues

NO 1 a deceased friend who ran a rescue service ~ girlie
No 2 from a fodder store and bought as a friend for her ` GEORGE
when the y died I got two fro sa rabbit rescue flora, flyod
No 5 was a wild child running the streets flo
No 6 6 today from SA rabbit rescue as a pal for the wild child Bramley also picked up 4 g pigs

venice

My first TWO rabbits came free with an aviary we bought, we bought the aviary and the rabbits came free :lol: That was back in 1994.

My first was a lovely little black dutch called Simba (10 years ago). I got him at Pets At Home along with a guinea pig we called Rhama. We split them after a month. Sadly i think i lost Simba to statis after 6 months, but the vet (not bunny savvy) said it was a fur ball, thinking back im convinced it was statis.

Then my second bun was a big standard chinchilla called Malibu. I got her from the college where i was studying animal care (9 years ago). Sadly i only had Malibu about a year when she took ill and had a fit before passing away in my arms.

My third bun was Flynn, he was another Pets At Home bunny i got him 6 years ago and despite being ill from the day we got him, he is still fighting on, such a brave boy.

The rest of my buns are all rescues. It wasn't until Flynn was about 1 and i got on the net i realised there were rescues out there for bunnies. Obviously now i would never buy a pet shop bun.

my childhood bun, button came from a pet shop. Went int o buy hamster food, came out with a bunny (i didn't even have a hutch he lived in a box for 2 days until we made one). We then went back to the pet shop and hour later to get the kitten there that we felt sorry for :oops:. It had conjunctivitis and diorreah - we rescued her.

Adult bunny came from a friend of a friend who had some baby bunnies, not a breeder but she had bought a pregnant bunny

My first bunny, Floppy, came from a garden centre. My second was from my aunt who could not longer look after him. Second was from a garden centre again. Next one was from my uncle who had to give him up as he fought with their other two unneutered boys (Suprise suprise!) And Leo was from P@H. But thanks to joining on here, i'm looking into getting a girlie bun from a rescue, Thanks RU! :)

Back