• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Off to the vets. Vibes for Violet please! U/D Admitted

***Warning slightly adult***

He was sat in the corner, not moving and refusing food. I checked him over and he looked abnormal underneath.. It's difficult to explain and a bit embarrassing.. :oops: You know if you apply pressure around the genital area, their willys pop out :oops:.. well with him, it didn't, It looked like a females area :? And it looked quite sore.

I took him to the vet (it was a new vet) and the vet fully checked him, teeth and everything. He said he seems in pain and distressed but he can't find anything wrong with him, his stomach and bowels are perfectly normal, only thing he noticed was a full bladder. I asked about his private area and the vet shrugged :?. He gave him a pain killer and said keep an eye on him and try to get him eating again. If he doesn't improve or deteriorates bring him back.

I'm sure there's something going on with his bladder/winkle but I can't work out what. He's certainly ill, he's very quite, just sitting, not interested in anything. I just want to know what's going on :(

I dont know what to say, except i would be very concened about the full bladder. did your vet empty it for him?
If he is unable, for what ever reason to pass urine this is very very serious:shock:

I dont know what to say, except i would be very concened about the full bladder. did your vet empty it for him?
If he is unable, for what ever reason to pass urine this is very very serious:shock:

The vet didn't seem concerned about it :? He asked if Violets been weeing today, which I honestly don't know because he lives with other rabbits. The vet didn't do anything about it. Just said keep an eye on him :?

I totally agree with rabbitapril. How horrid for him. Is there a different vet you could see?

I don't know if I can see another vet, but as far as my family are concerned I'm just being melodramatic and he's just a rabbit.. So I'd have to arrange it and walk there.

I've just gone to check on him, still hunched in the corner, he doesn't want food. He's being extremely cuddly and he's obviously still feeling ill :( Don't know what to do.

That reminds me of a rabbit that may have overhumped and over used his 'little bit' and its swollen right up due to friction.

When one of mine bunny had that I gave Metacam to help inflammation and pain (on vets instructions obviously).

That reminds me of a rabbit that may have overhumped and over used his 'little bit' and its swollen right up due to friction.

When one of mine bunny had that I gave Metacam to help inflammation and pain (on vets instructions obviously).

That might be the issue, although he's not massively humpy - Only seen him hump Mai once or twice a few days ago. Would that be enough to cause him to stop eating and stop moving around though? :? I think the vet gave him metacam (he gave a painkiller).

Is it possible he has been humpy at dawn or dusk? which you may not see as much? Especially dawn?

ETA- I still think he needs to see a vet because it sounds like he can't wee.

Is it possible he has been humpy at dawn or dusk? which you may not see as much? Especially dawn?

Agreed, I think you should try and get him to another vet tonight if you can. If he can't wee then that must be a serious problem, what if his bladder ruptures?

He was humpy midday. I can't say he hasn't been at night/early morning because he's outside in a shed so I can't see him at night.

The vet didn't seem concerned about it :? I haven't seen him wee, doesn't mean he hasnt though as I haven't been watching 24/7. But he's been ill since 3.30pm and not improved yet.

Agreed, I think you should try and get him to another vet tonight if you can. If he can't wee then that must be a serious problem, what if his bladder ruptures?

I wish I could find out if he has wee'd.. Cos it's a stressful journey back to the vets and a long and cold one walking. But what if the vet still doesn't do anything about it? What should be done about it?

I have a vague memory (which I hope I haven't made up) that someone had to have a catheter inserted up his urethra in these circumstances. Another option would be manually expressing the bladder, but that's not an option if there is now where for it to go.

I don't know, I'm not a vet but if it is a UTI or something then he might need help emptying his bladder and antibiotics to address the problem. Is there an out of hours vet you could call? Can you clean out a litter box and put some paper down and hay and keep checking to see if there is any wee?

Agree with whats already been said about contacting another vet. Or can you convince your own vet to help more with expressing the bladder? Sending vibes to your bunny x

It sounds as though he needs urgent catheterisation. His penis looks too swollen to retract back into the foreskin. This may be due to an injury or possibly due to infection and straining to urinate. Bladder sludge can lead to this. One of my Rabbits had to have an emergency GA and catheterisation as his bladder was about to rupture :cry:

If you cannot be CERTAIN that he can urinate then really he needs to be seen by a more competent Vet tonight.

Back