• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating - U/D 26/8/'09 Reluctant to eat again :(

awww hun :(:(

its been a really horrible humid day today, ive even had to put on the aircon unit to get pearls breathing right so i guess the weather is making beau feel miserable enough to lose his appetite, even im struggling to breathe today :evil:...

all the vibes i can make that he feels better soon are heading your way and i hope the drugs for his (sorry forgot the name of his illness it was too long and technical :oops:) poolyness make him feel more comfortable..

Aww, thank you to you both. I tried to get him moving about a bit, not a lot, just out of his pen, and that seems to have done the trick, he's eaten some kale and some more carrot :) i think the vibes definitely helped (they helped me anyway :roll: )

I don't know what I'd do without this place! I :love: you guys!

might be worth asking your vet for some gut stimulant for home treatment alongside the other stuff youve been given, be good for piece of mind too :D.. my vet gave it to me in tablet form and i gave it to alvin for about a week after his stasis just to make sure he kept moving ok.

really hope you both have a decent night and his gut keeps moving hun xxx

how are you both today :wave::wave::wave::wave:

Well he ate quite a bit just before I went to bed, so I decided he wouldn't need syringe feeding. He seems fine this morning, tucking into his breakfast like normal. I think maybe you're right and he just felt the weather yesterday. Have to say I borrowed his icepod for a bit yesterday, that's how hot it was :shock::oops::lol:

glad he's eating:D so hot you borrowed his ice pod:shock: i'm moving down there - i'm freezing! its such a worry watching food intake and poop output - we can all empathise. x

1st. my heart goes out to any bunny & bunny mum with stasis problems.

Molar spurs, even tiny ones, & tooth root abcess, are perhaps the commonest cause for gut problems. We learned that there need not be mouth ulceration present. You will know that a GA is needed to check the back molars properly.
There are other causes of stasis - pain anywhere, even psychological factors.

I sincerely hope that Beau starts to eat & poop soon. Everything crossed for you, much in my thoughts. Please keep us updated.

it was just a thought - i wasn't sure at first whether beau had even had his teeth visually checked as libby was very upset when she first took him to the vet - understandably:)

it was just a thought - i wasn't sure at first whether beau had even had his teeth visually checked as libby was very upset when she first took him to the vet - understandably:)

:thumb: well remembered - I couldn't remember if his teeth were checked at the emergency aptmt cos I was so upset. But they were checked on his second visit thanks to people on here's suggestions :D

He has claimed one of OH's t-shirts and is making a nest with it :love:

:thumb: well remembered - I couldn't remember if his teeth were checked at the emergency aptmt cos I was so upset. But they were checked on his second visit thanks to people on here's suggestions :D

He has claimed one of OH's t-shirts and is making a nest with it :love:

sorry - i must have missed the post about his second visit, thats why i mentioned it (funny age i reckon:oops:).

making a nest? er, might beau be having an identity crisis with these foster girls around:?

seriously tho, think he may be a tad jealous which may be exacerbating some of his food issues?

I'm sooo pleased that Beau is starting to eat again - hope he's going from strength to strength now.
Bunny tummy troubles are such a worry, but thanks to this forum, there are people with similar problems who genuinely care, & are "in there with you".

I've been surprised by the temp difference between Swindon & Stevenage - overcast, cool & raining here yesterday! Heat, & quite a few other factors, occurring simultaneously have tipped the balance for us in the past. Perhaps we just get to know our individual buns over time!

Just waiting to here he's completely through it now.

I'm sooo pleased that Beau is starting to eat again - hope he's going from strength to strength now.
Bunny tummy troubles are such a worry, but thanks to this forum, there are people with similar problems who genuinely care, & are "in there with you".

I've been surprised by the temp difference between Swindon & Stevenage - overcast, cool & raining here yesterday! Heat, & quite a few other factors, occurring simultaneously have tipped the balance for us in the past. Perhaps we just get to know our individual buns over time!

Just waiting to here he's completely through it now.

You'll be waiting a while :cry: it's now been *scuttles off to check* woah, it's only been 6 days :shock: feels like at least a fortnight! I suppose it's not too bad then, it just seems like he's taking forever to get better, was the same when he had that sore on his back. He ate all his breakfast this morning, so fingers crossed!

As for the weather - our flat stays pretty cool, but for some reason it seems to get really really warm in the evenings, really muggy. I mean yesterday the weather wasn't great but it was really close. Today it has been scorching hot outside and the flat has kept cool :roll:

And really, it's backwards, cos my dad is a doctor and said that humidity would help Beau with his pneumonia (he suggested a bowl of boiling water in front of a fan to criculate the steam, which I didn't try), but it seemed like the natural humidity yesterday made Beau worse!

Awww bless. I hadn't realized he was still getting over pneumonia. Please forget what I said about teeth. My sincerest apologies for adding to your worries. There's plenty going on to account for this, & I just hope it'll be a 1 off, & over soon. I think someone suggested a probiotic - there's probably some in his recovery feed. - I agree with that advice strongly.

Well I used to be a doctor, but soon learned that bunnies work on totally different lines to people, as well as cat & dogs. There's no substitute for a good rabbit trained vet, & then the guys on here with a lot of experience of poorly buns. We'll get you both through this one way or another.

BTW several people have noticed that high humidity makes their buns worse. [There are situations where increased humidity via nebuliser helps - only on vet advice though!]

All the best.

Last edited:
I think someone suggested a probiotic - there's probably some in his recovery feed

I stopped giving him that when he started eating on his own again - do you think it's worth it just for the probiotic then? Cos there is probiotic in the fibreplex and he didn't seem to mind that one quite so much!

We'll get Beau through this one way or another.

Thank you, that really made me smile :D

And really, it's backwards, cos my dad is a doctor and said that humidity would help Beau with his pneumonia (he suggested a bowl of boiling water in front of a fan to criculate the steam, which I didn't try), but it seemed like the natural humidity yesterday made Beau worse!

ive been reading on the net that hot humid weather really affects people with allergie and asthma (sp) summat to do with mold in the air (will be talking to my vet about this next week when Pearl goes for her check up/vhd jab, also it is bad for anyone with repspirity (sp) illness.. i must of missunderstood what illness Beau has got cus i really thought humid weather would aggrivate an illness in the lungs :oops::oops::oops: (im getting obsessed!!!!)

Bekkie texted me yesterday to tell mt pearl was panting at the webcam, the air was really heavy here after a day of rain but intense heat, but within 1/2 hour of the aircon being switched on she was breathing fine again :?

really hope he is over this illness soon, must be feeling really rough to not want to eat, poor baby :cry::cry:

Yes, fiberplex is great. The fiber is the natural stimulant for the bunny gut.

If for any reason they get the wrong sort of bacteria in their caecum, several things happen. One is that the wrong bacteria make chemicals - toxins - which slow the gut down further - bunny feels full- doesn't want to eat so much - gut slows down more in a vicious circle. Probiotics flood the system with the "right" bacteria, which can then swamp out the wrong ones. If this makes sense.

Sorry for cross posting. We've 2 related probs here. Keeping Beau's gut going which may be the easier! & getting him over the pneumonia while the weather's bad. Thanks Donnamt, reckon you've experience of both probs!

Last edited:
Yes, fiberplex is great. The fiber is the natural stimulant for the bunny gut.

If for any reason they get the wrong sort of bacteria in their caecum, several things happen. One is that the wrong bacteria make chemicals - toxins - which slow the gut down further - bunny feels full- doesn't want to eat so much - gut slows down more in a vicious circle. Probiotics flood the system with the "right" bacteria, which can then swamp out the wrong ones. If this makes sense.

Thanks for that, I understood before how probiotics work, but that's helped me understand why he doesn't want to eat.

Sorry for cross posting. We've 2 related probs here. Keeping Beau's gut going which may be the easier! & getting him over the pneumonia while the weather's bad. Thanks Donnamt, reckon you've experience of both probs!

He's had baytril, metacam and fibreplex. He's not interested in his dinner, but I'm cooking at the mo, and he always goes a bit funny when he can smell meat cooking :? so fingers crossed for him eating his dinner. His breathing has been loads better today, he was breathing fast all day yesterday but it's been normal today :D

It's great he's eaten most of his dinner & his breathing has been easier. Come on Beau my lad - you're getting there.

Again my apologies Lib n bunny. I wouldn't talk down to any one for the world. I understand the distress of having a sick bunny all too well, & would not want to add to it in any way. If you only knew how eager I am to learn from you guys! I'm new to communicating by computer, & find it quite difficult.
I also try to use plain English translations of technical terms, simply so that anyone reading a thread can do so more easily.

Yes my bun is the same about cooking meat - disappears upstairs - can't stand it. He's converting me to vegetarian!

Back