• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating - U/D 26/8/'09 Reluctant to eat again :(

good boy beau:D could you text yer mate eric and tell him to throw a few more out please:roll:

libby, you think beau's been sulking - no match for eric with his hay only diet and bio lapis:lol:

good boy beau:D could you text yer mate eric and tell him to throw a few more out please:roll:

libby, you think beau's been sulking - no match for eric with his hay only diet and bio lapis:lol:

Hm, maybe it's a solidarity thing. I'll speak to mine, you speak to yours, we will liaise at 1000hours and see if we can't crack these *******! :lol:

Beau: I did lots of poos a while ago to lure mummy into a false sense of security, and now I'm sulking again and not eating or pooing - I'm hoping she'll do what she did last night and pop out to pick me some dandelion leaves ;) got her wrapped round my little paw!

Hm, maybe it's a solidarity thing. I'll speak to mine, you speak to yours, we will liaise at 1000hours and see if we can't crack these *******! :lol:

Beau: I did lots of poos a while ago to lure mummy into a false sense of security, and now I'm sulking again and not eating or pooing - I'm hoping she'll do what she did last night and pop out to pick me some dandelion leaves ;) got her wrapped round my little paw!

eric: well, mum finally gave me a few pellets earlier when she cleaned out my litter tray and y'know what i did? i left 'em:p days without pellets, green beans and fenugreek crunchies - huh i'll show her...... (i'll eat 'em when she's gone to bed and i know she'll be lying awake worrying so she'll get up to check on me and give me a crunchie - i just know it:lol:). stick wiv it beau mate - we spoilt boy house bunnies are kings of our castles:wave:

eric: well, mum finally gave me a few pellets earlier when she cleaned out my litter tray and y'know what i did? i left 'em:p days without pellets, green beans and fenugreek crunchies - huh i'll show her...... (i'll eat 'em when she's gone to bed and i know she'll be lying awake worrying so she'll get up to check on me and give me a crunchie - i just know it:lol:). stick wiv it beau mate - we spoilt boy house bunnies are kings of our castles:wave:

beau: I like to confuse mine, keep her on her toes, so I didn't eat or poo all night, then when she gave me my breakfast I had a bit (just a bit mind), now I'm running around like a loon as if nothing's wrong!! Mwahahahaha!:evil:

beau: I like to confuse mine, keep her on her toes, so I didn't eat or poo all night, then when she gave me my breakfast I had a bit (just a bit mind), now I'm running around like a loon as if nothing's wrong!! Mwahahahaha!:evil:

eric: good on ya beau:D stoopid mummies eh:p i had a bit of breakfast but i KNOW she's sprinkled some of that stuff on there to help my belly so i ate around those bits;). decided to eat a piece of velcro and part of a plant pot instead. she was ooohhhing and ahhhhing over the lovely poos i did earlier too - strange lady:?

eric: good on ya beau:D stoopid mummies eh:p i had a bit of breakfast but i KNOW she's sprinkled some of that stuff on there to help my belly so i ate around those bits;). decided to eat a piece of velcro and part of a plant pot instead. she was ooohhhing and ahhhhing over the lovely poos i did earlier too - strange lady:?

beau: you think that's bad - my mum took photos of my poos and put them on the internet! I've never seen her so happy! I felt bad for making her so worried, so I've just eaten a huge bowl of curly kale and a little bit of carrot. I wonder if maybe we are too hard on our mummies? Maybe you should be a good bunny and eat the yucky stuff for your mummy? My mummy keeps making me have 4 different sorts of yucky stuff - I hate to say it but it does make me feel better!

beau: you think that's bad - my mum took photos of my poos and put them on the internet! I've never seen her so happy! I felt bad for making her so worried, so I've just eaten a huge bowl of curly kale and a little bit of carrot. I wonder if maybe we are too hard on our mummies? Maybe you should be a good bunny and eat the yucky stuff for your mummy? My mummy keeps making me have 4 different sorts of yucky stuff - I hate to say it but it does make me feel better!

eric: well i've been doing really well with my poops for the last couple of days but now i've done a couple of squishy ones again that i really don't want to eat and mummy seems all upset :roll: glad you're feeling better beau:wave:

He's off his food again :cry: I can't bare it, I start my new job next week, I'm having awful dreams cos of the stress, which is more exhausting than not sleeping at all. I just want my boy to be all better :cry:

He's off his food again :cry: I can't bare it, I start my new job next week, I'm having awful dreams cos of the stress, which is more exhausting than not sleeping at all. I just want my boy to be all better :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear that. Hoping he feels better again soon. You can do it again...I know it feels like unbearable stress and anxiety all over again but just keep going if you can. I find when up in the night syringe feeding it helps to get into a routine, set your alarm and make sure you get a couple of hours sleep in between feeds, there is nothing you can do to help once you have administered, warmed up and popped them back. You both need the rest after all that. Has he seen a vet tonight? Did they give you meds for home use? It could be the antibiotics have upset his tum at a guess...Baytril does have a habit of doing that in my experience. Just make sure he has pain relief, fluids and keep him eating even if syringe fed for a bit. Good luck, hope you both get some rest tonight. :) If you are concerned about his breathing then don't hesitate to contact the emergency vet, he may need extra assistance in the night if he deteriorates. Hoping he won't though!

If you are concerned about his breathing then don't hesitate to contact the emergency vet, he may need extra assistance in the night if he deteriorates. Hoping he won't though!

Than you for your advice. His breathing has always seemed fine, just a little fast, but the same as he gets when he's hot, he doesn't seem wheezy or anything, so I don't know how I know. He's moving around fine, plenty of pep in him, it's just the eating. He's had a couple of slices of carrot this evening, but that's all he's eaten out of his dinner. He had his baytril and metacam at 6pm. He's got enough of that for the next few days - .95ml of baytril and 4 drops of metacam every night.

ETA: He's not been to the vet tonight, I don't think he needs it yet, but am keeping a very close eye on him.

awww, sorry to hear he's iffy again. has his eating got back to normal at all since his treatment started? wonder if its his teeth too? i say that cos going off food is a sure sign with eric even tho he's still as bouncy as zebedee:?

awww, sorry to hear he's iffy again. has his eating got back to normal at all since his treatment started? wonder if its his teeth too? i say that cos going off food is a sure sign with eric even tho he's still as bouncy as zebedee:?

He ate a mountain of kale yesterday, and a bit of carrot, but still wouldn't eat his pellets, this morning he ate all his veggy breakfast but has hardly touched his dinner. The vet checked his teeth with one of those scopey thingys, she said they looked perfectly fine, and that she'd have to put him under GA to have a closer look.

He ate a mountain of kale yesterday, and a bit of carrot, but still wouldn't eat his pellets, this morning he ate all his veggy breakfast but has hardly touched his dinner. The vet checked his teeth with one of those scopey thingys, she said they looked perfectly fine, and that she'd have to put him under GA to have a closer look.

a closer look? like x-ray the roots or summat rather than just check for molar spurs? did he struggle a lot whilst she had a look?

what about softening his pellets?

1st. my heart goes out to any bunny & bunny mum with stasis problems.

Molar spurs, even tiny ones, & tooth root abcess, are perhaps the commonest cause for gut problems. We learned that there need not be mouth ulceration present. You will know that a GA is needed to check the back molars properly.
There are other causes of stasis - pain anywhere, even psychological factors.

I sincerely hope that Beau starts to eat & poop soon. Everything crossed for you, much in my thoughts. Please keep us updated.

Back