• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

not a rabbit.......

thats a good thing, not many people chose to adopt older animals because of their age!

So very true, and I dislike those people! :x

Shes a lovely hammy - I remember when I use to breed Russian Dwarf Hamsters hehe

bunnies073.jpg
and here's one of her negociating the stairs without any problem whatsover.... lets here it for the oldies eh :thumb: Emma - is Toby still fairly agile?

I have Roborovski hamsters! They are VERY fast! So fast in fact I can't pick them up or they just run off my hand! They don't seem to have any sense of height.

Here are some pictures!

cagefemales1250605.jpg

Their cage

rinoa1180205.jpg

Dinner time!!

robs1020505.jpg

Sleeping :)

AMETHYST

.::.whiterabbit.::. said:
aww i want some of them

That's EXACTLY what we said when we saw them - so we did! To be honest I don't feel like I'm missing out not being able to handle them, I still interact with them (like putting some treats on my hand, lowering it into the cage and they sit on my hand eating!). They're such fun to watch! They have a jam jar to sleep in, and one of the attic rooms is filled with Chinchilla sand which they dust bathe in - such fun watching them flip themselves over and squiggle about in the sand!

AMETHYST

Emma - is Toby still fairly agile?

Yeah Toby is still active, well more so in the morning and evening (as we are going to bed). He sleeps most of the day. His not stiff or limpy, in fact he quick and bouncy just as a middle aged bunny would be, but not as much.

Ohh Amethyst they look like Russian Dwarfs, are they? They are lovely :D

luvabun said:
wow Amethyst, that is one des res for your hammies!

Thanks! Thing is, they were originally in a slightly smaller Rotastak setup - still more than big enough, but they squabbled a lot. In retrospect I think I know why. Their sleep chamber (that sphere thing in the third picture) was in the middle of the route to the top floor. So if one was asleep, the other would have to barge past to get upstairs, and that got them fighting I think. That and the fact that there was only one water bottle which they seemed to fight over too. So, we gave them much more space, a choice of places to sleep, two water bottles, and now they're absolutely fine! They spend a lot of time sleeping together and grooming each other, which is so nice to see after all that squabbling!

AMETHYST

Thats avery pretty hamster - I like the name India it suits her. :) She looks as though shes gonna be trouble!! :roll:

sarsimp said:
Thats avery pretty hamster - I like the name India it suits her. :) She looks as though shes gonna be trouble!! :roll:
I struggle to work out why she ended up in a rescue..... she's tame and lets face it, their life expectancy isn't great.... grrrr.... but at least they took her to a rescue

Jill...those are really lovely photos...especially the one of her going upstairs...those scrummy lovely teency feet :love:

Oh she's lovely Jill - lucky you and lucky India - I like that name :D
I have two hammies as well, both from rescue but only young. I adore hammies and would have more if I could :D
Give her a gentle kiss from me - and tell her I think she is very pretty :D

The zoo zone cage is the one I have my male syrian in, it is a great size! Also the Large duna cage (which is way too small for that g.pig) looks the buisness as no bar chewing can occur, although be sure that you give her a brazil nut and some wood chews to keep her teeth trim. Even dog biscuits with no garlic, onion, perservatives and meat stuff are good (milky bones are a fav with mine).

See the cages here! http://www.hippo.co.nz/001902,0,0.mel

The minimum size for a cage for a syrian is 15-20 gallons. :wink:

I really should post pics of my two, shouldn't I! :D

Jay - one gentle kiss on its way when she wakes up.

Beebop - having looked at those links you gave me, I'm paranoid about brain damage and she does chew the bars. So I'm definitely going to have to get her new accommodation but it needs something where she can reach the bars as she so loves doing "hang tough" from then for hours... and hours... and hours.... :wink: I couldn't possibly deprive her of that

Toby said:
Ohh Amethyst they look like Russian Dwarfs, are they? They are lovely :D [/color]

Similar, they're actually Roborovski hamsters and quite a lot smaller than Russian Dwarfs (I also have a male Russian Dwarf called Auron). Robs are only about 1 inch long!

AMETHYST

Amethyst said:
Toby said:
Ohh Amethyst they look like Russian Dwarfs, are they? They are lovely :D [/color]

Similar, they're actually Roborovski hamsters and quite a lot smaller than Russian Dwarfs (I also have a male Russian Dwarf called Auron). Robs are only about 1 inch long!

AMETHYST
1" long???? is that fully grown? no wonder they're quick... sure I read on somewhere that peeps can't catch them

Who manufactures those cages? They're pretty neat looking, I have Crittertrails and a Habitrail as I'm in the U.S. but I need to toss one and would like to look into that.

I have 3 Campbell's Dwarves and one Syrian myself, but that's only my hamster family.

My dwarves are daredevils, they jump from shoulders, I bought a harness once to keep them with me but it got broken.

Back