• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

nipping, how can I stop it?

Saucepot

Alpha Buck
Sophie is adorable and affectionate but she has developed a habit of nipping us. It does quite hurt!! she doesn't growl or anything and it isn't a proper full on bite, I think it is for attention but not sure. I noticed her doing it to the children when they were watching telly and they were engrossed and not paying her any attention.

When I fuss and pet her she is fine, but when I stop she nips me!! I say "no Sophie" and don't pet her when she does this but is there anything else I can do?

if my buns nip me I usually squeal quite loudly (so they know they hurt me). Say "NO" very firmly and if they were on my lap for treats or similar remove them to the floor/put them back in their cage/some sort of punishment they will understand. When she's good and doesn't nip reward with treats and praise. She also might be getting a bit hormonal so if she is not neutered and is 4m plus it might be worth getting that done.

Back