• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Did you rabbit ever stop chewing the sofa?

Baby2017

New Kit
Hi, would like to know how your bunny is with your sofa…. Do they leave it alone or totally destroy it?

We have a 6 month old female, just had her spayed. She free ranges in our kitchen/family room when we’re about.
Since we got her she loves to jump on her old leather sofa but she has scratched and chewed it to bits.
We removed the sofa to from the room to let her heal from her spay but now we want to get rid of it as it’s horrible looking.

Im not sure whether to get a cheap fabric one or just not bother at all, although I think we will need something.

Just wondered if your bunny grew out of this habit with age or if neutering them made them stop this?

This is me doing me research - but I guess every bunny is different.

Some bunnies chew more than others, and you may find she calms down after her hormones settle. Has she got plenty of bunny safe toys that she can chew, and access to hay at all times ?

My first bunny chewed the (landlords) sofa to bits & made a tunnel through the back. She didn't chew the sofa in her next home which could have been age, her being spayed or me finding her a friend, not liking the next sofa :lol:. I think all these factors help but as you say, they are all unique. My rabbit since (over 30 years) have preferred other chewing mediums - wood furniture & carpet. Not terrible though, never had a destructive bun over the age of 4, mine all chilled out nicely by then. For a bun that wants to chew you have to provide an alternative though - bunny safe tree branches, digging boxes etc

I definitely wouldn't get a new fabric sofa ...not yet at least

Thanks for the replies.
My gut instinct is saying keep the old couch.
She has a dig box with bits and pieces in it, a grass mat, a scratch & chew board, a smaller box she can chew, bun rattle keys. She does get outside twice a day too and usually has a sneaky dig but still loves to destroy sofa. I guess she’s just at her peak age for causing mischief.

I might try the bunny tree. I had the for my boys in the past, they snipped the carrots off and then lost interest. My try her with a wee doggy couch too.
Anything other suggestions?

Back