• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nino: Bit poorly again today U/D another bloat session:(

I'm so glad you mentioned the heatpad, as I have needed mine today.
I took the beasties in for their myxi jabs on Friday, and as usual Tippex Porkychicken has been off colour today- she was hiding behind things and wanting to sleep alot, and when I checked her she had cold ears and was trembling slightly- when she refused food I knew she was poorly. She perked up after some metacam and ate some leaves and passed a few smelly mis-shapen poos (sorry :oops:) and is currently enjoying being a housebunny for the night- she has hardly moved from the heatpad but seems alot more comfortable. Her friends Bunny Clifton and Mango Fattyharebit have come in to keep her company and have been grooming her and flopping beside her :love:

I'm so glad you mentioned the heatpad, as I have needed mine today.
I took the beasties in for their myxi jabs on Friday, and as usual Tippex Porkychicken has been off colour today- she was hiding behind things and wanting to sleep alot, and when I checked her she had cold ears and was trembling slightly- when she refused food I knew she was poorly. She perked up after some metacam and ate some leaves and passed a few smelly mis-shapen poos (sorry :oops:) and is currently enjoying being a housebunny for the night- she has hardly moved from the heatpad but seems alot more comfortable. Her friends Bunny Clifton and Mango Fattyharebit have come in to keep her company and have been grooming her and flopping beside her :love:

Oh no! Not my favourite bun in the oven poorly :cry: I'm so pleased that she is feeling a bit better now she has her heat pad to sit on and her two bunny friends are looking after. Lots of vibes for TPC and I hope she feels better soon, poor girlie. x

Lilbun, just spoken to Mr PL and he says that electric blanket we have (pink vinyl one with armoured cable) is only 12v which means that you can have it outside and run it off a car battery, and then just charge up the car battery once a week! Being 12v if it does get chewed it is safe enough not to give them a shock. I must admit Nino was feeling well enough last night to start chewing the armoured portion but as his teeth don't work very well and it's totally armoured it made not a dent! :lol:

Hope that helps :D

Lots of vibes for Nino - just seen this, sorry!

Where in Somerset PrettyLupin, if your close to Bristol and need a vet visit, Amy104's vets are extremely good apparently :) I can get you the name if you need it.

Gray

Lots of vibes for Nino - just seen this, sorry!

Where in Somerset PrettyLupin, if your close to Bristol and need a vet visit, Amy104's vets are extremely good apparently :) I can get you the name if you need it.

Gray

Hi Gray,

Thank you for your vibes and thoughts.

It's ok Nino is back to normal now... must have just been his arthritis flaring up after all, perhaps he overstrained it or got it cold one night on the floor. I'm actually in Stogursey (other side of Bridgy) It's where I grew up. If I needed to I would take him to Langford vets and insist on seeing Richard Saunders ;):lol: But not to worry, he is fine and we are heading home on Wednesday where we have an excellent vet thank god. :D But thank you so much for your concern anyway :):wave:

Hi Gray,

It's ok Nino is back to normal now... must have just been his arthritis flaring up after all, perhaps he overstrained it or got it cold one night on the floor. I'm actually in Stogursey (other side of Bridgy) It's where I grew up. If I needed to I would take him to Langford vets and insist on seeing Richard Saunders ;):lol: But not to worry, he is fine and we are heading home on Wednesday where we have an excellent vet thank god. :D But thank you so much for your concern anyway :):wave:

Excellent :)

I was going to recommend my vet in Burnham, but i've only had vaccs and a neuter done there, so dont know exactly how good they are yet unfortunately, but Amy said hers was ewxcellent.

Glad he's better now :)

Hi Gray,

I'm glad to hear Nino is feeling better That's a great idea of Mr PL's about the car battery, although I'm not sure on how you run something off a car battery and Mr Lilbun will be no help i'm sure (he's not good at 'man' stuff :lol:)

Mrs Porkychicken is still giving me cause for concern. She has barely eaten anything all day. She has eaten a few ribwort crisps tonight though and has nibbled at willow and hay. The vet thinks she probably feels achy all over like people sometimes do after a 'flu jab

I'm glad to hear Nino is feeling better That's a great idea of Mr PL's about the car battery, although I'm not sure on how you run something off a car battery and Mr Lilbun will be no help i'm sure (he's not good at 'man' stuff :lol:)

Mrs Porkychicken is still giving me cause for concern. She has barely eaten anything all day. She has eaten a few ribwort crisps tonight though and has nibbled at willow and hay. The vet thinks she probably feels achy all over like people sometimes do after a 'flu jab

I'm sorry to hear this. I do hope she feels much better by the morning and it is just a 24-36 hour post-jab fluey thing. Lots of vibes from me and the buns and the bump xx

p.s. would she tolerate a top up of syringe food? Or is this inclined to make her more upset? I'm sure you are doing everything necessary anyway. Hope she feels better soon x

I'm sorry to hear this. I do hope she feels much better by the morning and it is just a 24-36 hour post-jab fluey thing. Lots of vibes from me and the buns and the bump xx

p.s. would she tolerate a top up of syringe food? Or is this inclined to make her more upset? I'm sure you are doing everything necessary anyway. Hope she feels better soon x

Last time she was poorly post myxi vac she was ill for about a week and I was quite aggressive with the therapy but this time I've been a bit more softly softly with things. she is drinking water (she never does normally) and has just eaten some grass and leaves.
Last year when she was poorly she was really difficult to medicate- I had to use the bunny burrito method and she hated it but nowadays she is such a snuggle bun and lets you do anything to her. She toothpurrs for her noserubs so much we now call her 'crunchie-face'. I love her so much :love: I shoud really give her her own thread instead of hijacking Nino's xx

She is clearly very sensitive to the vaccine isn't she :cry: Myxi vaccination time must be becoming a bit of a worry for you if she starts to respond like this each time. Does she respond equally badly to the VHD vacc?

I wonder if some echinacea extract in water would be beneficial? I've used it for my two in the past, they seem to like the flavour. Or you could do as Thumps does and put a few drops of lemon juice in the water for extra Vit C. Or use the Avipro with added Vit C maybe?

What I write now might be complete nonsense as i'm the first to admit I know zero about rabbit genetics, but we experienced coat colour as playing a huge part in Myxi resistance when our colony all contracted Myxi in the days before vaccinations. Our white buns deteriorated the fastest, perhaps this explains something of her sensitivity to the vaccine - although I know it is a different virus altogether for the vaccine. Perhaps this also tells us why it is so important that she gets vaccinated... but I can understand if you feel hesitant next time around, I guess it's weighing up the risks and benefits. I do hope she feels back to her old self soon xx

She is clearly very sensitive to the vaccine isn't she :cry: Myxi vaccination time must be becoming a bit of a worry for you if she starts to respond like this each time. Does she respond equally badly to the VHD vacc?

I wonder if some echinacea extract in water would be beneficial? I've used it for my two in the past, they seem to like the flavour. Or you could do as Thumps does and put a few drops of lemon juice in the water for extra Vit C. Or use the Avipro with added Vit C maybe?

What I write now might be complete nonsense as i'm the first to admit I know zero about rabbit genetics, but we experienced coat colour as playing a huge part in Myxi resistance when our colony all contracted Myxi in the days before vaccinations. Our white buns deteriorated the fastest, perhaps this explains something of her sensitivity to the vaccine - although I know it is a different virus altogether for the vaccine. Perhaps this also tells us why it is so important that she gets vaccinated... but I can understand if you feel hesitant next time around, I guess it's weighing up the risks and benefits. I do hope she feels back to her old self soon xx

It is a worry but I would rather nurse her through G.I. stasis than myxi so I will keep giving her the jabs. One of the reasons I haven't given her her own thread is that I don't want to put people off having myxi jabs. I have 4 other buns who were all vaccinated from the same batch of myxi vacs and are all fine.
I'm not sure whether you know her history but 2 weeks after I acquired her she was very poorly with suspected e.c: she was completely paralysed for 5 days- the symptoms came on very suddenly, 24 hours after her first myxi jab :?

I don't tend to give any meds or supplements via water as for some reason none of my buns ever seem to drink anything at all normally, They do love dried echinaea though so I give it quite often as a treat.

Last time she was poorly she had acupuncture which seemed to be very effective but the acupuncture vet is on 'baby holiday' at the mo - there's a lot of it about apparently :) xx

Eta: They all have lapinject VHD vac and have always been fine with it xx

Last edited:
Update

Bit of a step back this morning. After a calm journey home last night, but a longer than usual one (nearly 3 hours) due to traffic, Nino is a bit off colour this morning. Both seemed fine this morning first thing to OH but when I got up to get them out late morning found Nino hiding in his box with a weepy eye? cold ears and a bit of a smelly bum :? :cry:

Got him hopping out on the lawn even though it was soaking from the rain and he perked up |& warmed up no end. Gave him a variety of meds just to be on the safe side, cleaned his eye with cooled boiling water and cotton wool and around his botty too but it was only a little bit of soiling around his bottom only, and got him upstairs eating a plate of grass and some profibre pellets. He's passed a couple of really stinky squishy poops (malformed caecs.) but is lovely and warm now, bright and hoppy, and seems much happier. :) His hips were a bit stiff this morning too but I left them sat in the hutch too long - totally my fault, was just so tired this morning! :cry:

I think some normal droppings have come through by the looks of things over the other side of the room :D

Am guessing combination of travel stress, coming back to a semi-building site, lack of activity this morning, possibly the very sprouted grass back here (we've been away 2 wks) but Poppy has a very sensitive tum and is completely fine? :? So it can't be that. Bit odd as despite his bloat/stasis issues his caecum is very robust and rarely does this, maybe once a year at most. Eye was clear fluid only, can see no FB in his eye - so perhaps he just scratched it and it was a coincidence... all rather odd. Atleast he's perked up and happier now. :)

Poor Nino. :(
I am glad to hear he has perked up now though Vicky, it sounds like he has the best care in the world, and is a lucky bunny to be with such a knowledgeable and caring bunny mummy.
Just hope his botty and his eye are better.
Is the Glucosamine helping with his legs at all do you think?
Hopefully it was just the travelling - I know when I travel some distance it always makes my system a bit off.

PS Sorry I am not able to give you the kind of advice you always give me.

Aww poor Nino :(
I know your bunnies are used to travelling and are good travellers but 3 hours is a long time for anybun so I guess that could easily trigger a bit of an upset tum.
Hopefully the watery eye is nothing serious and he has just poked it. I just hope it is not going to develop into an ulcer as that is obviously very painful and could be enough to trigger a bout of stasis- I know you'll get him to the vets if your still worried.
Buns eh? xx

Thanks guys :)

Lilbun yes I know, it is still weeping slightly so am keeping an eye on it. Priority this last hour was getting his tummy moving normally - which seems to be happening now. Last thing he needed was more slow down and stress with a 30 min vet trip either way if it resolved itself. I will watch him closely don't worry :) xx

and yes... god bunnies! It never rains but it pours x

Still lightly weeping so have booked him in for a check up tomorrow lunchtime.

Other than this he is feeling extremely well in himself this evening and seems happy to be home. Currently grazing the lawn and binkying around the garden :love: After all those meds and the grass this morning his bowels haven't stopped! :lol:

The fluid is very thin and watery and completely clear, which is a relif. I'm supposing either ongoing irritation from something I can't see, or a slightly blocked nasolacrimal duct for whatever reason. Put it this way, he won't be having any procedures done if he needs them until my reg vet is back on Monday, but want it looking at just in case i've missed a scratch/hay seed.
Will bathe his eye again this evening.

Hi PL :wave:
Lovely to hear Ninos alot brighter today :D I guess the stress and travelling just got to him abit :( Sounds like hes bouncing back with lots of wonderful TLC off you though :love:
Strange about his eye :? Is there any other differences in it than the weeping eg the whites being bloodshot?
Loads of vibes xxxxxx

Hi PL :wave:
Lovely to hear Ninos alot brighter today :D I guess the stress and travelling just got to him abit :( Sounds like hes bouncing back with lots of wonderful TLC off you though :love:
Strange about his eye :? Is there any other differences in it than the weeping eg the whites being bloodshot?
Loads of vibes xxxxxx

Hello :wave:

No looks completely normal, no prominent 3rd eyelid (like Poppy did when she scratched it with hay), no bloodshot appearance, no bulging or swelling (thankgod....with all these Myxi posts and us staying really near wild buns for 2 wks) just a little trickle of clear liquid down the side of his nose. No white discharge either... very odd :?
My only other thought is that he has always had a slightly damp and dirty nose - suspected sub-clinical pasturella that never amounts to anything needing treatment - BUT maybe all the stress has brought it on? Except that I would expect the discharge then to not be clear fluid. :? I'm not very good on URTI's and eye probs.... i'm a stasis/bloat expert! :lol:

It could well be a slight flare up of the pasteurella as you suspect. Stress does funny things to our buns :roll:
How are his teeth? to be honest as hes not showing any signs of pain and is back to his normal demeanour i wouldnt worry too much. Dont tell Nino that though, he obviously likes to keep mummy on her toes ;)Xxxxxxxxx

It could well be a slight flare up of the pasteurella as you suspect. Stress does funny things to our buns :roll:
How are his teeth? to be honest as hes not showing any signs of pain and is back to his normal demeanour i wouldnt worry too much. Dont tell Nino that though, he obviously likes to keep mummy on her toes ;)Xxxxxxxxx

He had full skull Xrays less than 6 months ago when he had his hips Xray'd and his jaw was normal and teeth showed no signs of tooth root elongation. His eating is just fine - he has never been a picky eater and has a totally hay diet, no pellets at all, and he has only very minor spurs that have never needed any treatment. I'm pretty certain it is not tooth root or dental related AT ALL.
Actually neither did the Xrays show signs of infection in his URT.
Fingers crossed - his eye seems to have dried up since his run in the garden - perhaps exerting himself cleared his nostrils/lacrimal duct?! Will see how he is a bit later. Must put them to bed now.. both flopped out beside me on the carpet. :)

Back