• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie Bunny Questions

Druzyek

New Kit
Hello all,
I just bought my first rabbit. It is going pretty well but I have a few questions.

I leave his cage door open and let him run around my apartment and he almost always uses the bathroom in his cage but he has "marked his territory" a few feet from it a few times already. Is there any way to break him and will changing his bedding more often prevent this?

He really likes to jump into my bed and run around. Other than when I first got him home he has only used the bathroom once in my bed. He was biting my fingers and I gently moved his head back 4 or 5 times hoping he would get the picture and stop. When he finally did he promptly layed down and urinated. Coincidence?

In the mornings he jumps into my bed and runs laps around my body. He usually starts by jumping on my neck or shoulder and licking my ear lobe. Yesterday he also started chewing on my hair while I was asleep. Is he trying to tell me he needs something like being fed?

Thanks in advance!

Has he been neutered if hes spraying rather than weeing then neutering can help stop this the younger the better, aswell as testicular cancer etc. It also stops aggression.
He sounds very happy our winnie comes to bed to get us up on morn normally to tell us its brekkie time so hes prob trying to tell you something is it same time everyday?
As for weeing just keep rewarding him for going in potty and try and wash area where he has wee'd to get rid of smell.
Dont confuse him if you see him wee somewhere he shouldnt just say"no" pick him up and put him in potty say "potty" then reward him if wees in potty.
check out our page for tips etc www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com

Aw, it sounds like he's having fun :D

Licking you and nibbling your hair is him grooming you - something rabbits do to each other, socially. He's just showing you're his friend. And if you happen then to get up and feed him, well that's just fine by him ;)

Rabbits are crepuscular (most active at dawn and dusk) so he'll be playful just as you're waking up.

The 'marking territory' will gradually subside - when he's finished marking his territory! Presumably you'll be getting him neutered? That will help. Are you litter training him? (Search the threads on here, there are many about litter training.) Territory marking is also about dominance so you may find he targets areas that smell most strongly of you (like your bed) - with me and Muppet, he targeted the sofa. With Sooty and Muppet, she wees on HIS bed!

In the meantime, if you see he's about to wee somewhere you dont want him to, just lift him off and put him where he should go. Be prepared to get a handful of bunny wee though :shock: :lol: 'Punishments' dont work, they dont make the connection that we do. You can keep him off areas if you're really concerned about damage. I used to put puppy training pads on the sofa until I was confident he'd stopped.

Back