• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Confused bunny?

Roarysbunmum

Young Bun
Hi all,

Hoping for some ideas or helpful advice on a new behavioural change.

Smudge is a free range house bun except for at night time, he is a chewer so I can’t trust him to be free range when unsupervised!

At night he happily hops into a large dog training crate and this has been the case since he arrived with me. He has a plush rug covering the base, litter box, bed, food bowls etc and there has never been an issue.

During the day he has another litter box, food bowls etc closer to where he likes to roam during the day and he pees/poops in his litter box with no issue, but recently at night he will poop in his bedtime litter box, but wees on the plush rug.

I’m not sure why this has started, it could be from staying at a bunny boarding retreat for a few days while we were away, it really was a luxurious retreat for bunnies with anything you could think of, but I don’t recall seeing a litter box. Smudge seems confused and is now only using one litter box to poop in!

He is neutered and normally a good little bun, but I need to find a way to get him to stop peeing on the rug. They are being washed daily & cage cleaned out to remove any possible residual smells. The cage floor is slippery so he needs some kind of floor covering.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 5D175570-220C-4DA1-A21A-013717048980.jpeg
    5D175570-220C-4DA1-A21A-013717048980.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 2
I read somewhere that if the pillow/rug is really soft and comfy, rabbits tend to pee in that kind of places.. i also bought a soft pillow for my rabbit and whenever i give it to her, she pees on it. I try to control it and y'know, give her a signal when i see her getting ready to pee. But i don't think we can do much about it except looking out for it.. :((

Back