• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Vaccine - When in March is it being released?

Never said that i bring them into the UK did i but i know breeders out there that by them over the counter and vaccinate thier stock i have many friends abroad now so just find it wierd that they can do it but we cant?

they can do it in america, norway, sweaden ect why are we any different??

I'm assuming it's because we have stricter (better) laws in this country that say only a qualified medical practitioner can administer the vaccine - this way the rabbit will have a health check to assess whether or not the rabbit is well enough to be vaccinated. Also, administering the myxo vaccine properly can be tricky, so you'd want it done properly.

I'm lost. :oops:

:lol::lol: I think we're all still wandering about in the woods on this one. Ok here's the nearest I can get to an explanation.

Imagine you have two friends, let's call them M and V, and a loaf of sultana bread. M absolutely loves bread, and because she loves bread so much, she would happily eat an entire sultana loaf in one go...not because she cared about the sultanas, but just because it contained bread.

V on the other hand doesn't like bread, but does love sultanas. With the same speed and gusto that M would eat the bread, he would pick the sultanas out of the bread and eat those.

So if M and V are both together and are both given a lump of sultana bread, V would busily pick all the sultanas out and eat them, leaving M to eat the bread. Both are happy because both get what they want. However, if only M is present at the time the loaf arrives, M will eat the whole lot including the sultanas, meaning that when V turns up later, there aren't any sultanas left for him to eat. It doesn't matter if V turns up first, because V will just pick the sultanas out, meaning that the bread will still be there when M turns up.

Now turn M and V into myxo and VHD antibodies and replace sultana bread with a combined vaccine, where the bread is the myxo portion and the sultanas are the VHD portion.

Clear as mud :lol::lol:

I really fancy a picnic! :thumb:

DSC02583.jpg

:D

:lol::lol: I think we're all still wandering about in the woods on this one. Ok here's the nearest I can get to an explanation.

Imagine you have two friends, let's call them M and V, and a loaf of sultana bread. M absolutely loves bread, and because she loves bread so much, she would happily eat an entire sultana loaf in one go...not because she cared about the sultanas, but just because it contained bread.

V on the other hand doesn't like bread, but does love sultanas. With the same speed and gusto that M would eat the bread, he would pick the sultanas out of the bread and eat those.

So if M and V are both together and are both given a lump of sultana bread, V would busily pick all the sultanas out and eat them, leaving M to eat the bread. Both are happy because both get what they want. However, if only M is present at the time the loaf arrives, M will eat the whole lot including the sultanas, meaning that when V turns up later, there aren't any sultanas left for him to eat. It doesn't matter if V turns up first, because V will just pick the sultanas out, meaning that the bread will still be there when M turns up.

Now turn M and V into myxo and VHD and replace sultana bread with a combined vaccine, where the bread is the myxo portion and the sultanas are the VHD portion.

I like this! But I;ve never heard of sultana bread so I got a tad distracted :thumb:

Now turn M and V into myxo and VHD antibodies and replace sultana bread with a combined vaccine, where the bread is the myxo portion and the sultanas are the VHD portion.

I think I'm getting there now. :oops: so for bunnies who have had both vaccines prior it's ok, but those who've only have myxo need to have both prior seperately?

So if this is aimed at those who don't vaccinate it's ok, but if aimed at those who only vaccinate for myxo then it's going to be a whole lot more complicated. And for those here who can't vaccinate for VHD due to ill health bunnies it's even more complicated.

Or am I still lost?

I think I'm getting there now. :oops: so for bunnies who have had both vaccines prior it's ok, but those who've only have myxo need to have both prior seperately?

So if this is aimed at those who don't vaccinate it's ok, but if aimed at those who only vaccinate for myxo then it's going to be a whole lot more complicated. And for those here who can't vaccinate for VHD due to ill health bunnies it's even more complicated.

Or am I still lost?

Yep, but I think there is still a question as to whether it's only complicated on mainland europe where the myxo vaccine is actually made from myxo.

So just to confuse the analogy even more :)lol:) now imagine that M, while loving bread, hasn't seen this particular brand of sultana bread before and finds it recognisable but unfamiliar. So she studies it carefully for a while and has a little nibble before deciding it's worth eating. Because she's doing it more slowly than gobbling up the familiar one, it gives time for V to recognise the presence of the sultanas and start eating those at the same time. In this instance, M is the UK myxo vaccine which isn't actually made from myxo.

So it's *possible* that the same issue doesn't arise in the UK anyway even if no VHD has previously been given, although this seems to be the very thing that they are now doing more testing on...

I need a lie down :lol::lol:

So if this is aimed at those who don't vaccinate it's ok, but if aimed at those who only vaccinate for myxo then it's going to be a whole lot more complicated.

I think it depends on what the results of further testing are.

If tests prove the vaccine is effective then it will provide coverage for myxo and vhd in ALL bunnies.

Otherwise, those who have only been vaccinated against myxo and any with unknown history will need a second dose to ensure they're protected against VHD.

Otherwise, those who have only been vaccinated against myxo and any with unknown history will need a second dose to ensure they're protected against VHD.

Yep - but my understanding is that they will only need that second vaccination once, because after that, V will already be at the picnic when the sultana bread is unveiled in future :lol: So not all that complicated, no more so than bunnies going for 2 vaccinations separately now :)

:lol::lol::lol: I'd better stock up on sultana bread!

I think it's slowly making sense - I just hope the results of the testing don't confuse us even more.

I was at the vets this week for Gabe, Hollie and Rosies's VHD jabs - the first time they have had Anivac.

My vet was as confused as me about what is going in with the new vaccine and the single vaccines. She did say that she couldn't understand why Anivac had been developed so recently if it was not going to be needed in the future. Unless of course the dual vaccine development has been kept under the radar.

She then said that she would speak to Pfizer about it - is Pfizer involved???? I didn't think so but as I was trying to stop Hollie from leaping over my shoulder at the time (nice scratch on my forehead :roll:) I let it go.

All six buns are back for a myxi jab in a couple of weeks so I will see then if she has any more info.

I go to work and when I come back the vaccination has turned into a picnic with sultana bread :lol: only on RU could that happen :lol:

I think Annabelle would prefer sultana bread to a vaccination!

If they are still doing tests I wonder how long it will be till it is actually available.

Edit: Also, am I right in thinking that the new vaccine shouldnt have the problems associated with cylap? I guess we wont know for sure until its been used a lot, but as its sort of vhd put into a myxi vaccine would that lower the risk of some of the horrible side effects associated with the vhd jabs, particularly cylap?

Last edited:
I was at the vets this week for Gabe, Hollie and Rosies's VHD jabs - the first time they have had Anivac.

My vet was as confused as me about what is going in with the new vaccine and the single vaccines. She did say that she couldn't understand why Anivac had been developed so recently if it was not going to be needed in the future. Unless of course the dual vaccine development has been kept under the radar.

She then said that she would speak to Pfizer about it - is Pfizer involved???? I didn't think so but as I was trying to stop Hollie from leaping over my shoulder at the time (nice scratch on my forehead :roll:) I let it go.

All six buns are back for a myxi jab in a couple of weeks so I will see then if she has any more info.

You're right, they're not, they make cylap which was the first VHD vacc I think. Anivac and Nobivac myxo RHD are made two different companies, so the peeps developing anivac would not have known about the dual vaccine.

Back