• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Vaccine - When in March is it being released?

BEWARE - My rabbit has Chronic Myxomatosis after vaccine !

Please be wary of this vaccine -
I am concerned that this product is unsafe as my rabbit has now got Chronic myxomatosis within 2 weeks of receiving this vaccine.

The main difference with the new one is that it is live combination vaccine, Its active ingredient is a live myxoma-vectored RHD virus strain 009.

The previous myxomatosis vaccine (Nobi-vac Myxo) is made from a harmless virus called Shope Fibroma.
This is a quote from
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resou...myxo_feb06.htm
‘The myxomatosis vaccine in Britain (Nobi-vac Myxo) is made from a harmless virus called Shope Fibroma. Antibodies made in response to Shope Fibroma Virus also protect against myxomatosis - this is called cross immunity. Different vaccines (including live attenuated myxomatosis virus) are used elsewhere in Europe, but tend to have more side effects and there are concerns that they are not safe enough for use in pet rabbits.’

This suggests using the live virus is not safe. I am concerned as my pet rabbit may die now as a result of this new vaccine. He is on antibiotics and is not very well.

I don't know how many rabitts this vaccine was tested on but it couldn't of been enough.

The old vaccine wasnt made from the myxo virus, just one similar, so it didnt give complete immunity and it only lasted 6 months with a much reduced immunity after that up to a year. This new one is made from the myxo virus, so it should give better protection and last a whole year, although I guess only time/more testing than the one linked on the thread will show if it truly gives 100% immunity.

Hope that helps!

The question people should be asking is how safe is this new vaccine? As you say it's made from the live virus which was only elsewhere in Europe due to safety concerns.
My rabbit developed Chronic myxomatosis after receiving this vaccine - he may die - he's really unwell.

I'm looking into this further so if anyone has any information on how they tested for safety of this vaccine will be very much appreciated.

I've had no problems with my buns getting this vaccine.
But it does take 2weeks for the myxi part of it to fully cover your bun.
So I've been getting my buns done a few weeks early.

The question people should be asking is how safe is this new vaccine? As you say it's made from the live virus which was only elsewhere in Europe due to safety concerns.
My rabbit developed Chronic myxomatosis after receiving this vaccine - he may die - he's really unwell.

I'm looking into this further so if anyone has any information on how they tested for safety of this vaccine will be very much appreciated.

really hope your bun will be ok.
I've had buns that had myxi its not nice to watch xxxx

Wow I'm so sorry for you & your bunny, you must be devastated :(

I've been really concerned about getting my four done, but I bit the bullet and took them in yesterday & today.

Three had the combined vacc, and one used up the Vets last single dose Myxi vacc. Total cost £166.77 :shock: I wonder now will the one who had the double dose of VHD be ok, as he wasn't due for it til Mar/Apr next year..... and will the one whose had the single vacc still be fully protected for the next 6 months if the others have had the new one - my Vet believed she would :?

Last edited:

Really sorry you're having such a bad time with your bun at the moment :(

On looking into the incubation period of the virus, I found:
'Initial formation of a lump at the site of infection occurs within 2-4 days and more generalized signs of myxomatosis may appear between 6-14 days after infection.'

Were your rabbits vaccinated with the single vaccine in the 6 months beforehand? If not, it may be that, instead of catching myxo from the vaccine itself, your rabbit caught the virus before he had the time to develop the proper immune response to the vaccine, as the symptoms take a while to develop and the vaccine takes a while to become effective.

If you did vaccinate with the single myxo vaccine in the 6 months beforehand, that really is very worrying that your bun caught myxo :( There have been reports of myxo-symptom-like side effects that are just a reaction to the vaccine, but not a bun catching myxi before :( Is it nodular myxo (like buns can get when vaccinated) or full-blown myxo, do you know? I take it your vet is aware and helping you treat the bun, what did they say? Has the manufacturer of the vaccine been notified?

Just thought I'd like to the other thread with the same conversation, to avoid two conflicting conversations developing!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...cine-to-be-Launched-Nationwide-in-March/page6

My view is that it's not comparing like with like to say that the old myxo vaccine made from myxo was safe and therefore this one can't be either, it simply doesn't work like that. It's not the virus itself which caused the concerns, but the way in which the virus was attenuated (made safe for vaccination).

I do think that you have just been extremely unlucky - it's not unheard of for bunnies to develop myxi during the period of time that they are developing immunity. It's also not unheard of for a very serious reaction for an underlying reason in the bun, in the same way that neutering rabbits is not inherently unsafe but occasionally there is a tragic occurrence with an individual bun. That's not to detract from the pain and frustration you must be feeling at the moment, but I do think it's a huge assumption to make that the vaccine must be unsafe and indeed is the cause of the problem you have had. Although as I said in the other thread, I do think your vet ought to report your bunny's problem to the manufacturer just in case it is a tragic effect of the vaccine. Xxx

Back