• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit vaccines - exactly a year apart?

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
My rabbits are due their vaccines, I thought the 17th or 21st, I wasn't 100% sure.

Just called the vets to ask if it would be possible to book them in next Thu (22nd), when I have the day booked off work, the receptionist told me they're due on the 15th (tomorrow) and it has to be tomorrow. She said they must be vaccinated exactly a year apart (though heaven knows that happens in a leap year, or when they're closed on Sundays). The only time slots they have clash with meetings so I can't make those, but she basically said I need to figure out a way to get them in tomorrow because that's the only day they can be vaccinated - there is no leeway at all.

Is this true? Do I basically need to call in sick to get them to their vaccine appointment? I've never had this before, I'm pretty sure I always had a little flexibility with them (as long as it wasn't early). The bunnies were probably 4 weeks overdue in 2020, with no problems then. Is this a thing because it's the combi vaccine?

My rabbits are due their vaccines, I thought the 17th or 21st, I wasn't 100% sure.

Just called the vets to ask if it would be possible to book them in next Thu (22nd), when I have the day booked off work, the receptionist told me they're due on the 15th (tomorrow) and it has to be tomorrow. She said they must be vaccinated exactly a year apart (though heaven knows that happens in a leap year, or when they're closed on Sundays). The only time slots they have clash with meetings so I can't make those, but she basically said I need to figure out a way to get them in tomorrow because that's the only day they can be vaccinated - there is no leeway at all.

Is this true? Do I basically need to call in sick to get them to their vaccine appointment? I've never had this before, I'm pretty sure I always had a little flexibility with them (as long as it wasn't early). The bunnies were probably 4 weeks overdue in 2020, with no problems then. Is this a thing because it's the combi vaccine?

Yes, it is 100% true if you are talking about the Nobivac Myxo-RHD Plus. It is to do with the specific way the vaccine works and why it was/is so important that Vets follow a specific protocol when using it

https://www.msd-animal-health-hub.co.uk/ahp/rabbit-switching

See this is what I'm finding confusing - this information talks about "within 12 months", not exactly 12 months to the day, as the receptionist insisted. So it sounds like I could have had it renewed a week or two ago? Plus their info doesn't seem to say there's no leeway, it's that they didn't test immunity beyond 12 months, so have to assume there's none if you go beyond. It sounds a bit like they just haven't researched it particularly thoroughly. Their immune systems don't know to drop from full protection to no protection at midnight.

I guess I'll just have to let it lapse and revert to the other vaccine type, as that seems to be the only option short of risking getting sacked...

See this is what I'm finding confusing - this information talks about "within 12 months", not exactly 12 months to the day, as the receptionist insisted. So it sounds like I could have had it renewed a week or two ago? Plus their info doesn't seem to say there's no leeway, it's that they didn't test immunity beyond 12 months, so have to assume there's none if you go beyond. It sounds a bit like they just haven't researched it particularly thoroughly. Their immune systems don't know to drop from full protection to no protection at midnight.

I guess I'll just have to let it lapse and revert to the other vaccine type, as that seems to be the only option short of risking getting sacked...

You could definitely have had it done early,some people are doing it 6 monthly atm as so many Rabbits, vaccinated or not, are succumbing to RHD. Someone lost 14 last week :cry: All but 5 were vaccinated.

I would get the Filavac done if you over run then 2+ weeks later the Nobivac RHD Plus

Wait whaaaaaaat! My vet didn't do this with the combined one...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

You could definitely have had it done early,some people are doing it 6 monthly atm as so many Rabbits, vaccinated or not, are succumbing to RHD. Someone lost 14 last week :cry: All but 5 were vaccinated.

I would get the Filavac done if you over run then 2+ weeks later the Nobivac RHD Plus

Oh my gosh! That's heartbreaking!

I'll remember for next year, it's just that no one said it had to be within 12 months or it'd cause problems. And any time I called to renew before, I'm so sure they wouldn't let me book more than a day or two early (although I could be confusing that with the 3 week gap you had to leave between the two doses, I dunno).

I just called and said I'd have to let it lapse and revert to the inactive vaccine. If it has to be the old protocol for a year, then we'll do that, just as long as there's an option. I was almost getting the vibe that if I couldn't be in tomorrow, then the bunnies would never be allowed another vaccine again.

Wait whaaaaaaat! My vet didn't do this with the combined one...

Maybe you were more organised than me Graciee, and sorted it within the year though? It's a miracle I was on top of things enough to remember to call today and not on the 23rd of December :lol:

I tried to book one of mine in a week early (I got the date wrong) but the vet didn't want to do it early, so it was booked in coincidentally for the anniversary - probably the only time ever. Usually I am about 3-4 weeks behind with all boosters. I'm always a bit more wary about rabbits, though, especially if there are outbreaks in the area. You have to take into account the couple of weeks or so that it takes to build an immune response to the vaccine.

gosh, this is news to me. Boobly was a 1-2 weeks late last January & got vaccinated no question - it was at local silver accredited place by the rabbit vet. This year she has already been done . During lockdown Spring 2020 they were all late - was the multi vaccine in then?, I can't remember

Can vets even get Filavac anymore? (As in for the RHD2 booster if you are late) I am pretty sure my vet told me earlier in the year that Filavac are Eravac are no longer available.

Last edited:
Maybe you were more organised than me Graciee, and sorted it within the year though? It's a miracle I was on top of things enough to remember to call today and not on the 23rd of December [emoji38]
I'm doubtful [emoji38]

I had no idea about this either! I forgot to bring my vaccine card with me this year so I can't remember exactly when it was done but I think it was a bit early, but probably no more than a week or so. That's quite an unusual requirement for a vaccine to have, I'm glad I've seen this thread now for future reference.

Atticus and Clementine was 3 weeks late
Willoughby was 1 week late
Apricot was 2 weeks early

What does this mean for them? :(

Ah, okay. I had a feeling that Ruth had told me that it wasn't, in respect of taking in rabbits with unknown history and getting the booster done separately. I wonder what she told me then as that is what I interpreted it as...:?

Maybe it’s practice policy or something.

gosh, this is news to me. Boobly was a 1-2 weeks late last January & got vaccinated no question - it was at local silver accredited place by the rabbit vet. This year she has already been done . During lockdown Spring 2020 they were all late - was the multi vaccine in then?, I can't remember

I can't remember what mine were getting in 2020, suspect it might have still been the 2 doses though... I think it was about 6 weeks late, and the combined one last year.

I'm at a new vets this year, so I dunno if it's just how they do things. I'll ask the vet when I'm in and clarify what the timescales are, and if it really is that there's no grace period or if they're just being cautious because of lack of interest in follow up testing.

Back