• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New mummy of four bunnies :)

Oh no no they wouldn't be in there 24/7! Just to sleep in really! I wanted their chilling space to be bigger which is why we built it, and also wanted four separate areas in case they all need separating at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah I see. I note that they also get a few hours of free range time each day which is great. IDEALLY they would have access to a large floor area 24/7 but at least they get a good relaxation area and some leg stretching opportunities. Rabbits are generally most active at dusk and dawn.

I really do hope that you will be able to bond them all into a group. They do look so beautiful together.

Although they will get free range time, they still need 24 hour access to a permanently attached run (RWAF guidelines) and I can't see how you are going to achieve this?

Again. Like I've said. That's impossible right now unless they go outside which I think it's unfair as they've been inside in the warm and it's so cold outside. When everything is finished and bunny proof then they will have more access.. like I've said. They don't have access to anything with cages so I don't see how it's worse to give them much more living space?
Tulsi they've bonded so well together :) it's just every now and then the hormones get the better of them lol, so trip to the vets this week to see if Thumper is finally ready!

Wow just seems a lot of people just want to **** on my plans. I've had a lot of support too which is fantastic, but just seems a lot of people make the effort to tell me I'm wrong when I've already answered every question that's getting repeated. I'm not locking my rabbits away for life. I'm giving them a better quality home to live in, with the same regular access to space they get already so I don't see what the bitching is going to achieve?? I've already said I'm bunny proofing the lounge so they can be there unattended, it's not safe for them to have access to it 24/7, again.... like I've already said.

Happy to answer any new questions anyone has, but I'm tired of the same thing over and over again.

Sorry to get ratty but it's getting annoying being questioned all the time about the same thing. They only have the cage closed when we are in bed (we go to bed at midnight and are up by 7) and on school runs or if I'm out of the house which isn't very often at all! When I'm out then yes they get a minimum of 5 hours when the kids are in bed, that's the minimum not maximum. They're out all day with me.. they come and lay all together on the sofa next to me, they have three tunnels including a trio one, a cat bed cave for them to get into, scratching posts for rabbits (not cat ones) toys, chewing items etc etc.. they're well cared for they're not decoration. They're part of our family, we have four children and another on the way, space is limited so they can't have their own bedroom to live in.. my husband is the biggest animal lover you'll meet.. it just feels like just because I'm new to this I didn't research it all before we bought them, I know what they need etc.. I just don't want them outside in the cold just so they can have a run 24/7. The new unit will eventually have a ramp at the bottom to allow them into the lounge area whenever they want, but these things take time. They're very healthy and happy bunnies

I'm glad they're all getting on well, I hope they will continue to do so once all been neutered but I'd say its looking promising, they're all very cute :) I think people were just concerned as the pictures make the area you're building look a bit small, and as mentioned rabbits prefer floor space than height/levels so I'd be looking at whether the area you're building has more square footage of floor space compared to the cage they're currently in when they need shutting in? Sorry if you've already mentioned the space comparison, I've just skimmed over the thread on my phone. Looks like you're doing a great job trying to increase their space until the whole room can be bunny proofed. My rabbits since moving indoors have always had the run of at leat one room but some have needed a pen of some kind until its been completely bunny proofed, and you're right they cant be moved outside as will have been in all or most of their lives so wont be able to tolerate the cold.

Sorry to get ratty but it's getting annoying being questioned all the time about the same thing. They only have the cage closed when we are in bed (we go to bed at midnight and are up by 7) and on school runs or if I'm out of the house which isn't very often at all! When I'm out then yes they get a minimum of 5 hours when the kids are in bed, that's the minimum not maximum. They're out all day with me.. they come and lay all together on the sofa next to me, they have three tunnels including a trio one, a cat bed cave for them to get into, scratching posts for rabbits (not cat ones) toys, chewing items etc etc.. they're well cared for they're not decoration. They're part of our family, we have four children and another on the way, space is limited so they can't have their own bedroom to live in.. my husband is the biggest animal lover you'll meet.. it just feels like just because I'm new to this I didn't research it all before we bought them, I know what they need etc.. I just don't want them outside in the cold just so they can have a run 24/7. The new unit will eventually have a ramp at the bottom to allow them into the lounge area whenever they want, but these things take time. They're very healthy and happy bunnies

Joanne, most of us on here have been on a learning curve of various steepness with our rabbits! I think it's great you want the best for them so are here to ask questions and get answers. Rome wasn't built in a day, but I can see that those little ones of yours are heading up to a great future with you, as you both care so passionately for them all.

Of course not helped by not receiving the best advice from the start, but you're determined to turn that around. Hats off to you! :D

Thank you both! I really appreciate your comments!
I'm still gutted by the rubbish advice from pets at home but we are working around that and trying to make things right for them.. we did read that rabbits like height to look down, if we find they don't use the higher levels we will change it up and use the space to maybe store their belongings or something, it is all trial and error really.. the floor space in the unit is considerably bigger than the cage, also higher so they can stand up easily.. it's just overall more space for them in each section in comparison to the sections in their cages... that was the goal for this project. Hubby doesn't work 9-5 he does 48hour shifts at a time so is very tired yet he spends his whole spare time building this from scratch.. he was called out to work from 1am-7am this morning and he came straight home and started work on the unit, then took the kids to b&q to get some more things for it.. he's really dedicated to this unit it's adorable [emoji7] we've spent hundreds on it, he's bought new tools too [emoji85]

I do always appreciate constructive criticism, I hadn't thought of getting a play pen I'll look into that!

Thank you both! I really appreciate your comments!
I'm still gutted by the rubbish advice from pets at home but we are working around that and trying to make things right for them.. we did read that rabbits like height to look down, if we find they don't use the higher levels we will change it up and use the space to maybe store their belongings or something, it is all trial and error really.. the floor space in the unit is considerably bigger than the cage, also higher so they can stand up easily.. it's just overall more space for them in each section in comparison to the sections in their cages... that was the goal for this project. Hubby doesn't work 9-5 he does 48hour shifts at a time so is very tired yet he spends his whole spare time building this from scratch.. he was called out to work from 1am-7am this morning and he came straight home and started work on the unit, then took the kids to b&q to get some more things for it.. he's really dedicated to this unit it's adorable [emoji7] we've spent hundreds on it, he's bought new tools too [emoji85]

I do always appreciate constructive criticism, I hadn't thought of getting a play pen I'll look into that!

I like positive :D

Lots of us have used these to build pens and cages, and also to screen off an area you don't want accessed (like the wires behind stuff)

http://www.grendle.co.uk/web/index.php?route=product/category&path=78

Welcome Joanne and bunnies, I hope you enjoy being a member!! :wave:

I saw your post before you deleted some of it and would be grateful if you would identify who you think has been "high and mighty" here.

From what I can see, a new member has asked for advice and in particular comments on some new accommodation. I think we should try to give honest advice, even if we realise that it's probably not what the person wants to hear. I can't see that anyone has been rude or has suggested that Joanne isn't doing her best for the new rabbits in a difficult situation.

Joanne I'm sorry if you feel we have been negative towards you. On my part this was definitely not intended.

I removed the post as I had secound thoughts about what I had written, I didn't want to get into an argument and identifying who I thought was being "high and mighty" now is unnecessary, so please ignore my remarks.
I felt sorry for Joanne as a new member and advice could have been given in a more positive way, rather than criticising what she was doing.
We should be applauding her for joining this group and trying her best to give her rabbits a happy life.

I like positive :D

Lots of us have used these to build pens and cages, and also to screen off an area you don't want accessed (like the wires behind stuff)

http://www.grendle.co.uk/web/index.php?route=product/category&path=78

Yes I've seen these! They do look very good!! I'm going to see if we can assemble one next to the unit or maybe starting underneath it depending on the height of them!
Thanks for the link I've been looking for where to buy them!!

I removed the post as I had secound thoughts about what I had written, I didn't want to get into an argument and identifying who I thought was being "high and mighty" now is unnecessary, so please ignore my remarks.
I felt sorry for Joanne as a new member and advice could have been given in a more positive way, rather than criticising what she was doing.
We should be applauding her for joining this group and trying her best to give her rabbits a happy life.

I did feel that I was being criticised at some points rather than helped so thanks for the understanding, I wouldn't like this to become an argument about whether I'm doing right or wrong though so I understand why you deleted whatever you wrote beforehand.. I'm the same, I vent then reconsider lol! Maybe I should have been clearer with my intentions, and I must admit the unit looks small in the photos but it's really not, it's huge lol! We put black panels on the sides to provide them with some darkness in there as we have bright led lights in the lounge and I didn't want them to be under it too much without some shade.

I'm glad I joined here though, I've already learned so much!

I saw your post before you deleted some of it and would be grateful if you would identify who you think has been "high and mighty" here.

From what I can see, a new member has asked for advice and in particular comments on some new accommodation. I think we should try to give honest advice, even if we realise that it's probably not what the person wants to hear. I can't see that anyone has been rude or has suggested that Joanne isn't doing her best for the new rabbits in a difficult situation.

Joanne I'm sorry if you feel we have been negative towards you. On my part this was definitely not intended.

I definitely want honest advice and opinions, there's still a lot that I don't know, I should have been clearer on some aspects of their living arrangements.. I hope that I've made it more understandable now that they do have plenty of run time and will indeed have 24/7 access very soon! These things do take time and we are working really hard to get it done as soon as possible! Any tips and help will be greatly appreciated in the design! I've bought a wooden hay box for them to get the hay from inside the unit, we are going to try and fix the water bottles to the inside somehow, if anyone has any ideas on the best way to do that it would be a great help!

Yes I've seen these! They do look very good!! I'm going to see if we can assemble one next to the unit or maybe starting underneath it depending on the height of them!
Thanks for the link I've been looking for where to buy them!!

You'll probably have to search around for a good price. Maybe even second hand?

I have a stash, and they get used and reused when I get new bunnies in (I often foster and rehome). Really useful :D

I definitely want honest advice and opinions, there's still a lot that I don't know, I should have been clearer on some aspects of their living arrangements.. I hope that I've made it more understandable now that they do have plenty of run time and will indeed have 24/7 access very soon! These things do take time and we are working really hard to get it done as soon as possible! Any tips and help will be greatly appreciated in the design! I've bought a wooden hay box for them to get the hay from inside the unit, we are going to try and fix the water bottles to the inside somehow, if anyone has any ideas on the best way to do that it would be a great help!

Thanks for the further clarification :) I previously had not realised that you were working towards giving them 24/7 access, so well done for that. Yes, these things certainly do take time. My OH built our outside accommodation, which is attached to a large shed and that seemed to take forever :lol:

For the water bottle, would something like this be suitable? Daniel is a member on here and several people have ordered from him, He comes highly recommended :thumb: https://boylespethousing.co.uk/product/wooden-water-bottle-holder/

I hope you get some good news about having Thumper neutered soon.

I like the look of those water bottled holders Omi, looks like they've got some good savings on other items too :)

Joanne, it sounds like you and your OH have lots of ideas and are committed to providing them with a great life. Like you, I would say that my rabbit accommodation is and has been a work in progress. These things do take time. On a couple of occasions we have taken on rabbits without necessarily having everything in place already, but knowing that they were infinitely better off with us.

For example one of our does Buffy, had been horribly neglected and though we weren't really organised, we just knew we had to have her. It took time though to get where we are now. She's been dematted at the vets, spayed, vaccinated, bonded and eventually moved into our (still not quite finished) shed project with two lovely boyfriends :) x

3B's that sounds so wonderful what you've done for buffy! We would be the same if we came across a bunny in need! It's best to be with a loving family who aren't prepared immediately than to stay where they are in that poor condition! Well done!

Love that bike bottle holder never even thought to look there for one! It's amazing what our minds can do to create what we need!
We have a ton of wood left over from the unit I think hubby will be able to make a bottle holder like that!! What a clever design! Will have a chat with him and see what he prefers, this is his project lol!

Max- I'll Defo have a look around for a good price! I'm on a bunch of selling pages on Facebook I'll ask around!

3B's that sounds so wonderful what you've done for buffy! We would be the same if we came across a bunny in need! It's best to be with a loving family who aren't prepared immediately than to stay where they are in that poor condition! Well done!

Love that bike bottle holder never even thought to look there for one! It's amazing what our minds can do to create what we need!
We have a ton of wood left over from the unit I think hubby will be able to make a bottle holder like that!! What a clever design! Will have a chat with him and see what he prefers, this is his project lol!

Max- I'll Defo have a look around for a good price! I'm on a bunch of selling pages on Facebook I'll ask around!

:thumb:

And if you don't get the black 'connectors' (or sometimes they are white) then you can always use cable ties to fasten them together. To be honest, cable ties are often stronger anyway - just not so easy to undo when you want to reconfigure :)

Back