• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New mummy of four bunnies :)

Thanks everyone for the advice and the links!! It's greatly appreciated!! I'm so glad I came here! They're all asleep together at the moment so I think they're gonna be alright (fingers crossed it doesn't change!!)
Working on the unit again today should be done soon I can't wait! Will post some pics when it's done and you can tell me what you think!

They love gnawing toys which is great as I don't want their teeth getting too long, they chew them all night I can hear it from my bedroom [emoji23][emoji23]

Peter has started to make a sneezing sound every now and then.. I'm keeping an eye on snuffles symptoms I hope he doesn't have it [emoji22]
I'll be having words with the manager at pets at home when I'm in there next for sure I'm really not happy with the lack of genuine advice! They should make sure these animals are going to be well looked after correctly before they even consider selling them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite agree re; pet shops and their lack of proper advice. Good for you for saying something to the manager.

You have a better chance of no falling out if they are neutered and litter training will be easier too. You sound like you are doing a great job and asking all the right questions. I was lost until i found this forum. Hopefully it wont be long before the other boys can be neutered and with any luck you will have 4 loving little boys. Ive got my fingers crossed for you. xx Hope peter is ok. xx

Thanks everyone, I've been keeping a watchful eye on him and he's not doing it anymore and he doesn't display any of the other symptoms.. I've removed all bedding but very little to keep them somewhat warm currently til they go into their new home.. will be checking Thumper's size again soon to get him neutered, then it's Eddie's turn! I've only ever seen a urine spray once and that was from Thumper, so I've been quite lucky on that part!!
Yes I'm so glad I've found this forum I've learned so much already!! They've not scrapped again since and they've all been cuddling up together all the time so the love is there (for now [emoji85]) thankfully! Still annoyed at pets at home, they're gonna hate me when I go in there next! [emoji23][emoji23]
I believe we can beat the odds, I'm determined!
Will they be less happy as a group of boys though? Do they actually need female companionship once they've been neutered?

7474b4901ed03eeaa33b96afa54e12a8.jpg

Snuggle bunnies [emoji7]

Ps I hate that litter tray it's too big, hubby wanted it.. we have a corner one at the bottom which is much better, I bought that one [emoji6]

I can't quite understand how all the rabbits are going to live in this new "home". I would like to know how you envisage it?

Rabbits need floor space not levels ... Hope the four continue to cohabit peacefully.

316bc8c15ce708ef051ffd05908d8443.jpg

That's the inner carcass, it's a lot more living space for them when they're not out in the front room which they have free reign of for at least 5 hours a day

I don't like them staying in the double cage they have already. I don't feel it's big enough, so this was our solution for them. The levels are so they can have alone time if needed and also if we need to section them off due to illness etc we can comfortably for them

There will be ramps for them and they have individual homes inside for them to sleep in if they want to, we have to fix the doors on too which will have wire mesh on the front

You have obviously designed the cage with the view to giving the rabbits plenty of spaces to get away from each other if necessary, good idea.

My only problem with this cage is if the rabbits were ever shut in (no hutch is big enough to house rabbits on its own) they need an area 10 x 6, with a shelter and plenty of space to run about in.

Didn't mean to imply that your diy project wasnt good enough, just wanted to make it clear that they need to be able to stretch their legs and have a good old run around which a hutch, however tall, would not allow for.

Oh no no they wouldn't be in there 24/7! Just to sleep in really! I wanted their chilling space to be bigger which is why we built it, and also wanted four separate areas in case they all need separating at the same time

I can't envisage how it will work but my main concern is that rabbits should never be confined to a hutch - ie they need 24 hour access to a permantly attached run.

I'm sorry I'm going to be blunt, but please do not be offended I am trying to help.

I have re-read through this thread as I too couldn't envisage how you were thinking of making this space work.

It seems from what you have said that the rabbits currently spend their time in their hutch apart from around 5 hours a day when they free range in one of your rooms. That means they are confined for around 19 hours a day, which is just unacceptable for rabbits. They need to exercise.

When they use your new accommodation you have said it's only for when they sleep. I'm presuming here that they will be shut in as you have mentioned doors? Rabbits do not sleep at a set time each day and for a set number of hours. Well mine don't anyway. It varies from day to day. I really can't see how you can anticipate when the rabbit will want to sleep and therefore be shut in the accommodation. My rabbits seem to sometimes have more than one time in a 24 hour period when they want to sleep. Also it might not be the case that all the four rabbits want to sleep at the same time.

Are you still thinking to shut them up for 19 hours a day?

Please do not be offended by my comments. You have said that you want to learn how to give them the best possible life.

There will be a ramp at the bottom for them to come out, which will have to be closed at some times, like when I do the school run, because I can't risk them eating through wires etc. Until it's totally Rabbit proof in there I can't put them at risk like that.. they're in a cage at the moment surely that's worse than what I plan to do?? We let them out for a few hours a time in the day then when the kids are asleep they have much much longer.. when we go to bed they go back in their cage.. id love to be able to have them free reign 24/7 but I can't.. so the options are this, or they go outside in the cold.. I don't want to put them outside at all I don't think they should go outside after living indoors in the warm

Strangely enough they do all sleep at the same time even when separated. I thought that was normal?

Back