• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New mummy of four bunnies :)

They have litter trays in their cages at the moment so we will fashion a smaller version in the new home as they like to just lay in it [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3a3e66ed491f37f7dc53c66a8579eacb.jpg

Like this [emoji7]

I didn't know that about the bedding.. why do they have it in pets at home then as their bedding?? They have a vets in there too so why don't they say something to them?? You also get a free bag of bedding, hay and nuggets with every cage

They all like to lie in their litter trays at times. It never causes any problems, but shavings can. Rabbits have very sensitive respiratory systems - I've had 2 Pets at Home Snuffles rabbits.

That's really bad :( the usually push it all out the way and lay on the bottom so I hardly put any in there now, just to soak up any urine.. so what are my options? We don't get newspapers delivered so we would have to buy them daily.. they'll have vinyl flooring soon so what's best for that?

I didn't know that about the bedding.. why do they have it in pets at home then as their bedding?? They have a vets in there too so why don't they say something to them?? You also get a free bag of bedding, hay and nuggets with every cage

What you have to remember is that Pets at Home are there to sell stuff. They are not there in the animal care business. That's why they still sell awful treat sticks to put on fronts of hutches and other so called treats which are usually packed with sugar.

I got my 2 from pets at home, should have been same sex and ended up with 6 babies lol.. They both had snuffles and some of the babies got it too. We have lino down and nothing else. If they are indoor buns they dont need much for warmth and the lino can be wiped over whenever needed. When they are all neutered and all the hormones calm they will use the litter tray to poo in if it is full of hay. My boys were born together and ended up fighting later on and have never been able to be rebonded, so any sign of humping or fighting separate and reintroduce once hormones have calmed. It will save you and the buns tons of stress. I wish i had be able to do it. Your buns are beautiful. xxx

Yes we have the extra cage to separate them if they scrap, then after a day or so of taking them out separately we reintroduce them and if they scrap they go back in separate and if not they can go back together.. I think it started because their nails were too long and they may have accidentally hurt one another, they don't let me clip them so I've taken them to the vet to have it done and they seem much happier.. I'll keep trying but if I have to it will be the vets every time for clipping!
I didn't know it was better to have boys and girls together :( so annoying they don't give this information, it's like they just don't care :(
What treats can they have? We have bought them the sticks to clip on the bars and the ones they have to chew through to get to the treats.. also what toys are best? We have a little scratching post tree with dangling carrots, they love that but they've almost got all the way through it! They also have a soft bed I keep out for them like a little soft cave they can lay in, they tend to dig it out more than anything else [emoji23]

We really are new to bunnies and just want to give them everything they need.. they have gnawing toys in their cage which they love :)

Welcome to RU, your bunnies are all gorgeous :love: I really hope your bunnies behave and can live together as a group in the future.

I've found the hay experts a really good source for rabbit related goodies. I buy bags of megazorb from there for their litter, which is the most economical I've found so far as you get a huge bag for £10. They also sell lots of rabbit toys (like willow balls and chew sticks which go down well with my buns). They also do treats, fenugreek crunchies have always been a big hit here!

Cardboard boxes are also a big hit with bunnies as they like to spend their time renovating them.

Neighbours are quite good at supplying newspaper. Sorry, this must seem very daunting but a lot of us have had bunnies for years. You can't get it all right overnight, there's just too much to know. Pets at Home can be very naughty - I would never sell 4 boys to someone without explaining what could happen.

Indoor rabbits dont really need a cage. When my two boys were indoors (before they were bonded to the girls) they just had a pine shelf unit which they sat on and under!

The main thing is plenty of floor space which it looks like your lot have. A guide of 10 x 6 foot of space is given by rawf.

Thanks everyone for the advice I'm taking it all on board and will look into everything! As we have four kids and another on the way it's hard to keep them free roaming, plus they like to eat the corners of the walls! Tried that 'get off' spray and they just went at it even more!! I'd love to have them free roaming one day but right now it makes sense to keep them in one place when we aren't in the room with them!

Quite upset that pets at home didn't tell us we shouldn't keep four boys together I just hope they stay bonded and get on with each other! If not we can separate the sections in the new unit for them.. they're all in one cage again now they were out for a few hours last night and didn't scrap so it's all good at the moment! They're all snuggled up on one level at the moment so they seem happy for now! Just can't wait to get the unit finished they're going to love it :)

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

You must be finding it a bit of adjustment, to suddenly have four buns at once. I have seven now, two trios and one singly (who will get a friend soon) but im still fairly new to rabbits and learn new things all the time.

For the litter trays we use Fitch bedding https://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/fitch-pet-store/rabbit-guinea-pig-hamster/bedding.html. So I don't know if this would be an option if you don't have newspapers. It's really soft and absorbent and obviously works well as bedding too. It can be a bit messy, especially inside (our single bun is currently inside), but then hay etc gets everywhere anyway :) x

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Yes it's very daunting to be honest! Quite sad to learn I've been misguided with many things from pets at home now!

That looks good so can I use that in the litter tray and also as bedding? Will they be able to tell the difference as I'm hoping to litter train them.. we use cat litter for their trays, the paper stuff not the clumping stuff as I read that's not good for them..

Yes we have the extra cage to separate them if they scrap, then after a day or so of taking them out separately we reintroduce them and if they scrap they go back in separate and if not they can go back together.. I think it started because their nails were too long and they may have accidentally hurt one another, they don't let me clip them so I've taken them to the vet to have it done and they seem much happier.. I'll keep trying but if I have to it will be the vets every time for clipping!
I didn't know it was better to have boys and girls together :( so annoying they don't give this information, it's like they just don't care :(
What treats can they have? We have bought them the sticks to clip on the bars and the ones they have to chew through to get to the treats.. also what toys are best? We have a little scratching post tree with dangling carrots, they love that but they've almost got all the way through it! They also have a soft bed I keep out for them like a little soft cave they can lay in, they tend to dig it out more than anything else [emoji23]

We really are new to bunnies and just want to give them everything they need.. they have gnawing toys in their cage which they love :)

I don't give treats, but if you've some gardening friends they may give you the prunings from their apple/pear/hazel or willow trees. They are superb for bunnies to chew on and they eat everything, bark included!

They will need a lot to keep them occupied to prevent them from becoming destructive. That said, a rabbit has those big front gnashers to chew and chew so it's unreasonable to expect them *not* to attack furniture, walls, curtains, sofas, wires etc .. as I know to my cost!

You could also have a look at sourcing some free food for them in addition to dandelions. As they are babies, introduce any new food gradually, but for future reference have a look here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/gallery/free-food-for-rabbits

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

I'm sure your heart sank a little when realising the handful that four boys together could be. I'm sorry you weren't given good advice - or more likely no advice? I hope their time with you will be peaceful, but that they will be able to enjoy as much freedom as your schedule allows.

Thank you for being here and for wanting to learn, and welcome :wave:

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Yes it's very daunting to be honest! Quite sad to learn I've been misguided with many things from pets at home now!

That looks good so can I use that in the litter tray and also as bedding? Will they be able to tell the difference as I'm hoping to litter train them.. we use cat litter for their trays, the paper stuff not the clumping stuff as I read that's not good for them..

Yes, I bet it is. You have definately come to the right place for advice :)

With regards to the Fitch, I would use it either for bedding or litter, as you are right they would probably get confused. Our outside buns just have it in their litter trays as they have Lino. Our indoor bun has it lining her cage (just a base, as she's free range) and in her litter trays and she does go to the toilet on both. But tbh as long as it's not the carpet I don't mind! I'm definately no expert though and this is just what I do :) x

Back