• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nena (tooth root abscess) - Final U/D December...she's still fine :)

I'm so pleased things are finally sounding really positive for you and your lovely bunny. I have a bunny called Dude who has been going through something very similar. He has had two operations and initially, the vet kept saying that we may need to 'make a choice' over his future. That broke my heart. However, after a second op, the abscess seems to have gone down significantly and he doesn't seem to miss the tooth that was extracted. It's horrible seeing what he had to go through, his wounds have been pretty horrific. He still has an open wound on his chin and has to have depocillin injections, but that seems to be healing. Throughout every op and trip to the vet he's been jumping, sprinting and flopping about at every chance. I believe if they're happy, the choice is not an option. If your bun is hopping on to your shoulder for some love then she sounds happy. Good luck for you and your bunny.

Nena would like to show you her trick... (video, click!)

(Ignore my ugly face in there!)

Super news. So pleased for you.
Fingers crossed for a problem free future..!!

Thank you! Indeed, fingers crossed :love:

I'm so pleased things are finally sounding really positive for you and your lovely bunny. I have a bunny called Dude who has been going through something very similar. He has had two operations and initially, the vet kept saying that we may need to 'make a choice' over his future. That broke my heart. However, after a second op, the abscess seems to have gone down significantly and he doesn't seem to miss the tooth that was extracted. It's horrible seeing what he had to go through, his wounds have been pretty horrific. He still has an open wound on his chin and has to have depocillin injections, but that seems to be healing. Throughout every op and trip to the vet he's been jumping, sprinting and flopping about at every chance. I believe if they're happy, the choice is not an option. If your bun is hopping on to your shoulder for some love then she sounds happy. Good luck for you and your bunny.

Awh thank you. I'm glad Dude is feeling better too :love: They seem to cope remarkably well with holes in their face don't they!

How's Nena?

Ooh, thank you for asking! Sorry I missed this! Just came back to do a quick update.

Nena is going back for a vet visit on the 5th. She hasn't been back since our last visit! She's been maintaining her weight with a few extra pellets and a bit extra veg, although I'm gradually phasing this out.

She seems to look better too. Her fur is almost all grown back and she doesn't look scraggy and ill anymore. She's still thinner than she used to be (she's always between 2.350 and 2.450 now), but as long as she maintains it, and vet and I are happy. She's eating hay and readigrass and being naughty and cheeky again :love::love::love:

On the 5th the vet wanted to assess her overall condition and see if she can come off her meds. I feel like she'll agree she's okay to come off them as she's maintaining her weight. I would ideally like to keep her on the depocillin injections as I know they can prevent re-occurrence and I really want her around for as long as possible without the same or another abscess popping up. I'd also really like to get her vaccinations done as I'm very anxious about the fact that she's unvaccinated. I'm not sure how the vet feels about vaccinating her, hopefully she'll be willing to do it.

So yeah, lots of good news really. I really want her vaccinated. And I'm worried about how long it'll be before she gets something else going wrong. She's been through enough!

I realised I'd never updated this thread. Nena was vaccinated on 5th August and we stopped all medication then. She's been fine ever since... so that's over 4 months :love: I had a panic earlier this week as I'm an idiot and forgot what weight she is, so I thought she'd lost weight again but nope! She's actually 2.55kg now which is great :love: She's a little nightmare now though, as she thinks she deserves lots of extra pellets and treats and so begs constantly :roll::lol::love:

Back