• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need advice on facial abscess, please!

:wave:ha!! My bunnies been eating it for 2 +- years, started off with adding water (warm) plus other stuff, like a soup- Tazzy had bladder problems so needed additional water, and Fluffles has it too, no harm, so they actually prefer that to normal pellets. :D

Fluffles eating normally today, poops were freaky-small last night. Shew, she's eating normally now, after 3 days and yesterday morning and early afternoon, hardly eating. Abscesses look good, healing well!

Wow, all sounding good!

How are your nerves holding up? :)

:wave:

Nerves, well..... They come and go, I'm calm about everything else but my bunnies!! I'm a disaster with them, I know for her sake it's best to be calm, but those tiny poops tested my resolve!:evil:
I freak with one, here are you who's done many! She's the strong one, Tazzy's the most loveable and friendly but not nearly as laid back as Fluffles! If this was him, I know I'd be a COMPLETE wreck by now!
Wow, all sounding good!

How are your nerves holding up? :)

:wave:

Nerves, well..... They come and go, I'm calm about everything else but my bunnies!! I'm a disaster with them, I know for her sake it's best to be calm, but those tiny poops tested my resolve!:evil:
I freak with one, here are you who's done many!
She's the strong one, Tazzy's the most loveable and friendly but not nearly as laid back as Fluffles! If this was him, I know I'd be a COMPLETE wreck by now!

Yes, it does get easier to be detached :) I think that's what vet nurses must feel to a certain degree

More than likely, think it must be tough for them! Just want to let you know how wonderful she is doing. I did something.... Will tell the vet. tomorrow when she has her check-up. Last night her poops were the teeniest I think a bunny can poop. I didn't know what to do. She was eating, not sluggish... So.... I remembered I had some Zantac in the fridge. This was 6 months old!! Long passed it's expiry date, it worked! If nothing happened would take her first thing this morning. Her poops were lovely, normal flattish/round and a light colour. She was the best today, eating food with long-awaiting/hoping gusto. Running around, playing. Just wonderful. Everything going great, lets see what the vet. says. Never knew Zantac can last that long!! Have a good night :D
Yes, it does get easier to be detached :) I think that's what vet nurses must feel to a certain degree

More than likely, think it must be tough for them! Just want to let you know how wonderful she is doing. I did something.... Will tell the vet. tomorrow when she has her check-up. Last night her poops were the teeniest I think a bunny can poop. I didn't know what to do. She was eating, not sluggish... So.... I remembered I had some Zantac in the fridge. This was 6 months old!! Long passed it's expiry date, it worked! If nothing happened would take her first thing this morning. Her poops were lovely, normal flattish/round and a light colour. She was the best today, eating food with long-awaiting/hoping gusto. Running around, playing. Just wonderful. Everything going great, lets see what the vet. says. Never knew Zantac can last that long!! Have a good night :D

Well done you :D

According to my vet, metacam can be active years after it's expiry date, so it doesn't surprise me about other meds. I'm glad all is still going well with her :D

:wave: Won't be sending these often now, as the worst is over.... I think. Anyway, now I fully realise what you meant by muck under scab - keep scab off. In my far earlier experience, I never ever encountered this. I thought it was healing fantastically and all that. Vet. was pleased with abscesses, but wanted to see what's under the bigger one, :Dthe smaller one healed beautifully but the bigger one had a narrow lump, which I thought was scar tissue as so insignificant. He pulled the scab off as easily as you'd pull a plaster off, thank goodness he did it! Some Primela cheese pus was on the underneath of the scab. Cleaned the wound, luckily only on surface, not at all deep. Squeezed, no pus appeared - thank goodness! He weighed her as well, lost a bit , guess that's from 3 days of not or hardly eating!! Funny thing, she ate the most - now! I hope she carries on, over all, he was happy!
Well done you :D

According to my vet, metacam can be active years after it's expiry date, so it doesn't surprise me about other meds. I'm glad all is still going well with her :D

:wave: Won't be sending these often now, as the worst is over.... I think. Anyway, now I fully realise what you meant by muck under scab - keep scab off. In my far earlier experience, I never ever encountered this. I thought it was healing fantastically and all that. Vet. was pleased with abscesses, but wanted to see what's under the bigger one, :Dthe smaller one healed beautifully but the bigger one had a narrow lump, which I thought was scar tissue as so insignificant. He pulled the scab off as easily as you'd pull a plaster off, thank goodness he did it! Some Primela cheese pus was on the underneath of the scab. Cleaned the wound, luckily only on surface, not at all deep. Squeezed, no pus appeared - thank goodness! He weighed her as well, lost a bit , guess that's from 3 days of not or hardly eating!! Funny thing, she ate the most - now! I hope she carries on, over all, he was happy!

:D I hope it wasn't too gruelling!

Yes, amazing what lurks under those scabs - ugh!!

I hope she keeps on eating - needs all her strength to get fully better. I hope she doesn't lose any more weight.

Good luck xx

:wave: Hi, update:

She started eating like she always did 2 days ago. Worked the new scab off with warm water about the same time - The far larger one (which thankfully, the vet. removed as that would most def. made another abscess!), is tiny now, and the little one has gone away, no sign of it. The Zantac only lasted that night. Funny! But I got a new lot from vet. that morning. anyway.... But her poops were still the same as that morning, a bit bigger than the were - thanks to the Zantac, but still small. So don't know if it's working or her gut's really taking a hammering. Anyway, she wasn't drinking enough as they were wrinkled as well, so fed her a couple of times (that 'soup' thing) and gave her more veggies throughout the day and few times at night - luckily it doesn't give her a runny tummy, or something.. They both sleep on my bed so easy to give her. They steadily improved, and at this time, they are ok, but still too small. She had this before, smaller poops and I thought it's an age thing, as she's about 10. Don't know, heard their gut slows in far older buns, does it? Well, none the less, she's playing, loves me again, but still thinks I'm a monster right after her injection! She's on Depocillin for another week or more, until next vet. check, hopefully she's picked up! :D

:wave: Hi, update:

She started eating like she always did 2 days ago. Worked the new scab off with warm water about the same time - The far larger one (which thankfully, the vet. removed as that would most def. made another abscess!), is tiny now, and the little one has gone away, no sign of it. The Zantac only lasted that night. Funny! But I got a new lot from vet. that morning. anyway.... But her poops were still the same as that morning, a bit bigger than the were - thanks to the Zantac, but still small. So don't know if it's working or her gut's really taking a hammering. Anyway, she wasn't drinking enough as they were wrinkled as well, so fed her a couple of times (that 'soup' thing) and gave her more veggies throughout the day and few times at night - luckily it doesn't give her a runny tummy, or something.. They both sleep on my bed so easy to give her. They steadily improved, and at this time, they are ok, but still too small. She had this before, smaller poops and I thought it's an age thing, as she's about 10. Don't know, heard their gut slows in far older buns, does it? Well, none the less, she's playing, loves me again, but still thinks I'm a monster right after her injection! She's on Depocillin for another week or more, until next vet. check, hopefully she's picked up! :D

Good to hear from you again :wave:

Yes, I've found that poops get smaller as the bun gets older, regardless of the amount of grass/ hay that they eat. However, in her case it sounds like the hay is just a bit to hard for her to munch through with her face stuff going on? There could well be 'underground' stuff going on with her tooth roots as well, which possibly caused the abscess in the first place.

I would doubt very much that it's the antibiotic doing anything to her gut, but I suppose in some cases it's just possible.

You are both doing fabulously well! Make sure you keep up the Depocillin for a few weeks post abscess (when all the signs have gone), as it works into the bone and prevents recurrence. That's of course if your vet allows :D

:wave: Hi, thanks for the advice :love:

Yes, there may an underlying thing going on! Yes, read quite a bit on it and always advise to carry on for a while after all signs have gone, so I hope he does! He's wary of 'pulse' injecting, like every 2 or 3 rd day, as that can build up immunity to the drug, he says they do give it, at times. So will see what he says, as can well believe the bone, root, business! Will let you know!:)
Good to hear from you again :wave:

Yes, I've found that poops get smaller as the bun gets older, regardless of the amount of grass/ hay that they eat. However, in her case it sounds like the hay is just a bit to hard for her to munch through with her face stuff going on? There could well be 'underground' stuff going on with her tooth roots as well, which possibly caused the abscess in the first place.

I would doubt very much that it's the antibiotic doing anything to her gut, but I suppose in some cases it's just possible.

You are both doing fabulously well! Make sure you keep up the Depocillin for a few weeks post abscess (when all the signs have gone), as it works into the bone and prevents recurrence. That's of course if your vet allows :D

:wave: Hi, thanks for the advice :love:

Yes, there may an underlying thing going on! Yes, read quite a bit on it and always advise to carry on for a while after all signs have gone, so I hope he does! He's wary of 'pulse' injecting, like every 2 or 3 rd day, as that can build up immunity to the drug, he says they do give it, at times. So will see what he says, as can well believe the bone, root, business! Will let you know!:)

Sounds like you have a thoughtful vet :D I think you are both amazing :D

Thanks! Need to know what you think of this....
First off the bat, Fluffles is doing unbelievably well!
Now, this I need someone with experience in this dept. and with rabbits in general, so pse advise....
For one night, about 8 days ago, she ran around like a two- year - old bunny, and then stopped when her poops were dodgy. Now, for the last 4 days, she's eating terribly well, chewing like normal and resumed the craziness. I've had her for 4 1/2 years, and she has never been this loveable and lively! As she's not young, 2 laps at full speed tires her out, and she just quietly plays with her toys. Tazzy's the one who races, follows me everywhere! Now Fluffles is doing the same, still not as affectionate as him, but I don't think she had a good start and yeas before she was rescued. So automatically wary etc. I realised she associates pain with people, so extremely wary of me just before the diagnoses and op.

Now the pain has gone, maybe something was always there. Bone stuff? She's definitely changed for the better. Do you think it may still be there, although gone or almost gone. She's on that great antibiotic everyday, for four weeks. 0.024ml (however you write that). Until I see him in 2 days time for her check-up. They've chewed the carrier case, to the point the zippers fell off on the one side, so it's going to look BEAUTIFUL, have to tape it up and re-order a new one. Evidence of Fluffles' super energy.

Her poops are still on the small side, bigger though. No longer scary-small.

Last edited:
Thanks! Need to know what you think of this....
First off the bat, Fluffles is doing unbelievably well!
Now, this I need someone with experience in this dept. and with rabbits in general, so pse advise....
For one night, about 8 days ago, she ran around like a two- year - old bunny, and then stopped when her poops were dodgy. Now, for the last 4 days, she's eating terribly well, chewing like normal and resumed the craziness. I've had her for 4 1/2 years, and she has never been this loveable and lively! As she's not young, 2 laps at full speed tires her out, and she just quietly plays with her toys. Tazzy's the one who races, follows me everywhere! Now Fluffles is doing the same, still not as affectionate as him, but I don't think she had a good start and yeas before she was rescued. So automatically wary etc. I realised she associates pain with people, so extremely wary of me just before the diagnoses and op.

Now the pain has gone, maybe something was always there. Bone stuff? She's definitely changed for the better. Do you think it may still be there, although gone or almost gone. She's on that great antibiotic everyday, for four weeks. 0.024ml (however you write that). Until I see him in 2 days time for her check-up. They've chewed the carrier case, to the point the zippers fell off on the one side, so it's going to look BEAUTIFUL, have to tape it up and re-order a new one. Evidence of Fluffles' super energy.

Her poops are still on the small side, bigger though. No longer scary-small.

Hiya :wave:

OK - 4 and a half is not young? 'Tis in my book :lol: I've had crazy rabbits at 8/9/10 :lol:

You could be right about the bone pain. But my instinct says this instead .. Firstly she feels better in herself (but abscesses don't always make bunnies feel *terribly* poorly anyway) so runs around more.

But also, you've built a trusting bond with her. She knows you're not going to hurt her or abandon her. Yes, some animals relate to past trauma, but others actually do not do this.

You have given her confidence by building up the trust between the pair of you. I told you you were brilliant :D

Hi, :wave:
Went to the vet. yesterday, he's pleased that's there's no sign of the abscesses - so am I!
Unfortunately, she hasn't picked up weight, as he says she's the same, and burning up fat by running around so I'll feed her more - as she's eating, brilliantly! Otherwise, healthy and good. :D.

Hi, :wave:
Went to the vet. yesterday, he's pleased that's there's no sign of the abscesses - so am I!
Unfortunately, she hasn't picked up weight, as he says she's the same, and burning up fat by running around so I'll feed her more - as she's eating, brilliantly! Otherwise, healthy and good. :D.

Sounds really good news!

I would suggest keeping on with the pen injections for a while post abscess disappearing. What's your vet's thought on that?

Yes, feeding a few more pellets, or a pinch of porridge oats is good. I am glad she's running around ... :wave:

Oh my goodness! Left out the most important bit. He did tell me to continue, daily with the pen. injections, for another 2 weeks
!! :oops:
Sounds really good news!

I would suggest keeping on with the pen injections for a while post abscess disappearing. What's your vet's thought on that?

Yes, feeding a few more pellets, or a pinch of porridge oats is good. I am glad she's running around ... :wave:

Back