• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need advice asap

Can we keep this on topic please. I appreciate that the posters other hobbies might be upsetting so can we please keep to the topic of what to do with the rabbit rather than how they ended up with it :)

The options are pretty limited, to stand any change being returned to the wild it needs to mix with other rabbits. A single baby rabbit brought up and then released on it's own stands very little chance of survival. The best option for the rabbit would be to go to a wildlife sanctuary where it could mix with other babies and then be gradually released.

If you keep it then you'll need to provide a secure pen approx. 6'x8' (minimum). Pay for vaccinations etc.and be aware of the fact that a wild rabbit kept this way is not going to be as tame as a domestic one. It's unlikely you'll be able to handle it. As it's already 4 weeks old it's not going to be as tame as a hand reared baby as it's already just about weaned.

Wild rabbits kept in captivity are hard work as they need a lot of space, stimulation and very very secure pens.

At the age it is I'd recommend wild life sactuary, it's old enough to be about ready to survive on it's own so not a good candidate for keeping in captivity.

Tam

Please Try And Focus On The Bunny Here Not How It Got In This Situation...

I understand you are trying to help this little bunny.:wave: I am so glad you did take peoples advice and contact the wildlife sanctry.... :love:
You want advice on what to do. Right well if the animal sanctry have said keep it thats what to do :D!!!
If you want to keep it long term then obvioulsy in time [when it settles in] it will need mixy jab etc to protect it and other pets to :) but in the mean time just keep it nice and calm. If you want to release it when it is old enough then keep human contact to a minimum and gradually try to find ways to introducing it into searching for food etc [the wildlife sanctry should be able to give advice]

As for peoples comments on Ferrets etc well at the end of the day I am a major rabbit lover :love::love::love: and couldn't do it myself but i know they can be a nightmare to farmers so what do people want.... mass culling or controlling of numbers. Like you say if you said you found it another way people would keep opinions to themselves and just stick to the advice. Good luck either way. I will speak to my friend who works at a local animal ambulance to see if they can give anymore advice for you and will let you know a.s.a.p

Best of luck and keep me posted.... I have fingers crossed for you...

PLEASE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THESE PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO HELP THIS LITTLE BUNNY...THEY HAVE BEEN TOLD TO KEEP IT AND THEY ARE DOING. :cry::cry:I feel sorry for them as if they said they had abandoned the bunny that would be wrong so at least they are trying. It doesn't matter how the bunny got to this situation the thing that matters is helping these people help the bunny. We all love our bunnies so rather than lecturing them... try and help. AND REMEMBER THE WILDLIFE SANCTRY TOLD THEM TO KEEP IT... they are only doing what they have been told to do. Please help this little bunny with any advice on how to rear a young wild rabbit. :love:

I've sent some advise to the OP.

I am not suprised by the wildlife sanctuaries response, on a whole success rates in rearing wild rabbits are very low and moving her again will be very traumatic. I have aso had some unpleasent experience of wildlife sanctuary dealings with rabbits too, some are not as experienced or indeed moral as they would have the public believe. :?

Whilst I am in no way in support of the sick 'sport' that is ferreting, lets not let another innocent rabbit fall victim to this practice by refusing the help the OP wants.

Back