• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need advice asap

just an update hubby didnt have the heart to release her!!
she is safe and sound in hutch!!
have phoned local wildlife sancturary and they said we are perfectly legal to keep her!!
as her eyes are open and she runs around she should be able to eat the same as socks and marble!!
so now need vibes for cocoa as i have called her!!!!

Personally I think she should be looked after at wildlife sanctuary prior to being released.
In the meantime please make sure your bunnies are up to date with their vaccinations. She may very well be carrying mxyi.

Personally I think she should be looked after at wildlife sanctuary prior to being released.
In the meantime please make sure your bunnies are up to date with their vaccinations. She may very well be carrying mxyi.

I agree. I would worry about what diseases it could be carrying and could pass to your own rabbits. And also a wildlife sanctuary will have more experience and knowledge to look after a young wild rabbit.

cocoa was all alone in the rabbit hole so would have died anyways!!

That's not true I'm afraid - mum rabbits do leave their baby bunnies unattended in the burrow for 23+ hours a day, only going back to feed them...unless there are small predators like ferrets digging around they are pretty safe alone there.

I would strongly suggest you take this little one to a wildlife hospital - apart from anything else, it may well be legal to keep it but rabbits and ferrets are natural 'enemies' and the smell of your husband's ferrets is likely to distress this little one very much, especially after its 'narrow escape'. Rabbits are also not as simple and easy to keep as most people think - they need a minimum 6*2*2 hutch with large exercise area and to be neutered and kept with another rabbit as a companion, and a wildie will be even more tricky! Please do the kindest thing and let this little one go to a wildlife hospital where they will be used to caring for such a youngster and be able to make the best long term decisions for it.

Last edited:
I dont quite understand... Will you be keeping the wild bunny forever now?? Because... surely if you keep it as a 'normal' bun, you wont be able to release her as she wont be able to survive? Im suprised the wildlife place didnt take her in :( Did you tell them how you got her :? xXx

sorry but i think thats wicked

what

plus the hutch is 7 3 4 and we indeed to keep her till 12 week when she can be set free

the wildlife santuary say DO NOT RELEASE HER and that she IS best here where we can look afTER her one to one

Last edited:
To the person who pm'd me. Wild rabbits are not necessarily classified as vermin. They are wildlife. Hence the suggestion of a wildlife hospital being a more appropriate place for this rabbit than a hutch in a garden of someone who keeps ferrets in order that they can take them to kill rabbits for 'sport'.

My ignore list grows longer by the day. Which, incidentally means that pms will no longer be received from you :)

She won't survive. I think that wildlife sanctuary is wrong to tell you the truth. What about your own rabbits, and the diseases this rabbit could pass onto them?

Ahhh but did they tell them the circumstances in which they got her, and that there are ferrets in the area that could scare it? I doubt it. The wildlife sanctuary have probably had half the story as if I were them and I was told it was someone who found the baby whilst ferreting, I would want it away from them asap.

Why are you using 2 user names?

And why are you surprised at the reaction? You asked for advice, the advice was to take it to the sanctuary. As for the rest, we are all entitled to our opinions and mine is that people who kill wild rabbits for fun are not in a position to be offended by rescues who are appauled at the hypocracy of this situation.

EXCUSE ME 4 ASKING 4 HELP!!!!
i have the bunny now cant release her and want GENUINE support and help!!!

And if you read, we have given you advice. It's obviously just not what you want to hear. It is very frustrating to give advice for it to go in one ear and out the other for that reason.

Back